ignition cylinder prob fix write up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ignition cylinder prob fix write up

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-11-2007, 10:50 PM   #1
badoosh27
2001 TJ Wrangler 

ignition cylinder prob fix write up

today i went out to start my jeep stuck the key in and couldnt turn it at all. so i jiggled with it for like 20 minutes and finally it turned. so i came home checked on here for some advice, and found that i should go get some graphite to lube it up. so i went to northern tool and got some. i put some in the key hole and go figure, it didnt do a thing but make my hand black. i jiggle it again for another 20-30 minutes and finally get it to turn. i get home and take the whole thing apart. now, i dont have a special electronic key thing, so i dont know if this will work if you do.

i took the top and bottom plastic things to see what to do. theres a plastic ring thing surrounding the key hole with 2 snaps that needs to be taken off. on the bottom side, there is a metal retainer thing that you have to push upwards towards the cylinder, put the key in jiggle it enough to turn it to on, not start and push the retainer thing in and you can pull the whole housing out.

when i pulled mine out, it was full of graphite and all kinds of dust crap. the stopper thing that you pushed in to get the housing out is held in by a springy piece of metal that is rivited in place. put a small screwdriver under the spring and pry up to get the stopper thing out, but just enough to get the stopper out with out bending the spring.

there are two small pins that are inside the housing that the cylinder turns inside of that are behind the key hole ring thing. there is one that when you turn the key to where the accessory position would be, it stops next to a horizontal stop. so use a small screwdriver to push the pin down and turn it past the stop. you can then pull the cylinder out of the housing.

when you pull the cylinder out, make sure you dont lose the pins or the springs behind them. when i took the cylinder out, it was covered with even more crap. pull the pins out and the springs out and set aside till later.

i know some people are going to not like this next part, but its the only thing i could think of. i got a bowl of hot water, put some dawn in it, grabbed my roomates toothbrush and went to town scrubbing. dont worry, there are no parts that will fall out of the thing. make sure to scrub the inside of the housing as well. while its under water, move the key in and out of the hole to move the tumblers up and down. i also ran hot water all over it and even down the key hole.

then dry the whole thing with a hair dryer or something to make sure its really really dry. now put graphite dust stuff on the cylinder and the inside of the housing. then put the whole thing back together in reverse. when i got mine back together it worked like better than when i got it. i guess dust and dirt gets in the cylinder and clogs stuff up.

i hope this helps someone if not more and if you dont feel comfortable doing it, don't because i'm not going to take responsibility for it if you mess up your jeep, this is just a step by step of what i did and it worked for me.

[url]http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634280[/url]
badoosh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #2
Jerky bump
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice. Thank you
Jerky bump is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.