If you had to open your tailgate 4x a day...... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > If you had to open your tailgate 4x a day......

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 02-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #31
armyRN
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler905 View Post
I have the TnT carrier, and it's not super popular. I can sort of see why. If I had to go back in time I would get the Bestop carrier for sure - I have seen two in person and it's a slick design and very convenient.

Issues with my TnT carrier (see pic for reference):

- Four bolts holding the tire spindle to the carrier were random, ungraded ones. I can assume they were at least because I didn't get decent instructions detailing which hardware goes where. Yes, I know they have a .pdf on their website. I replaced with Grade 8.

- The powder coat is showing rust in some areas, and it's a month old. I have had to touch up already.

- It's twice the price of the Bestop carrier

- I had to cut 1" off of the red latch handle to get the TnT supplied gas can carrier on. Both the carrier and the latch mechanism were also missing hardware.

- The heims have started to rust.

- No safety catch on the latch - if it pops open, the tire carrier could conceivably swing open while driving. I made a safety latch with flt bar and a snap pin.

- I needed to make spacers for the tailgate because I have corner armor.

By now it's solid, and the tire definitely doesn't rattle, and the carrier itself is totally silent. All that other stuff were bugs that TnT could refine and make a better product.

As is, I was pretty happy with it at first, and it still isn't beyond repair, but for nearly $700 TnT could at least try a little harder on the finishing details.

I've been seriously considering the TNT carrier along with the Or-Fab one. Just a couple of quick questions about your TNT carrier:

1. Were you able to still use your factory license plate holder? I couldn't tell from the picture you provided.

2. When you said some hardware was missing, was it just nuts & bolts, or pieces of metal?

3. Did you give feedback to TNT about your findings?

4. Would you post a picture of your carrier with the mods you made and with the gas can carrier in place (with gas can)?

Thanks.

armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #32
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
I've been seriously considering the TNT carrier along with the Or-Fab one. Just a couple of quick questions about your TNT carrier:

1. Were you able to still use your factory license plate holder? I couldn't tell from the picture you provided.

2. When you said some hardware was missing, was it just nuts & bolts, or pieces of metal?

3. Did you give feedback to TNT about your findings?

4. Would you post a picture of your carrier with the mods you made and with the gas can carrier in place (with gas can)?

Thanks.
I will snap a quick pic tomorrow of the completed setup.

1. I have Metal Cloak corners and Savvy lights, and have not used the stock license plate bracket since installing those items. The TnT carrier comes with a license plate bracket (which is nice, it mounts in the middle of the spare)s, but no plate light. I got the AEV brute light/bracket, and it works well.

2. Missing hardware was limited to nuts and bolts, but I think also a major oversight in the design. As the instructions tell you to mount the latch, it does not go all the way over center, so it does not positively lock shut, even when carefully adjusted. I cut two 3" pieces of flat bar, mounted them with a bolt at the tub end, then drilled a hole at the latch end. A snap pin goes through the two flat bars to lock the latch shut. It works great, and is cheap insurance. I would feel pretty bad if the tire swung out in traffic. To me, cutting a chunk off of the latch handle to clear the gas can carrier also seems dumb, and I checked about 70 times to make sure it was all assembled correctly.

3. The one thing I had the greatest issue with was the lack of spacers for corner armor. The instructions say that they are included, but were not in the package. I have e-mailed TnT, but did not get a reply. With respect to other missing bolts, it's a lot cheaper to just supply my own, since shipping even small packages to Canada means brokerage charges to clear the border. My personal cut-off for something being worth it or not is $50. I did mention missing hardware in my e-mail to TnT regardless.

4. Pic tomorrow.

As I said before, it's not a horrible product. The welds look good, it feels sturdy, and with a little more careful painting I'm sure it will last a long time. The actual fabricated part is what I was hoping for. There were some easily fixed shortcomings though. The biggest issue is that for $619 plus shipping, it should really have been a bolt-on, no mods necessary item.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 04:32 AM   #33
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jantzer View Post
If you had a daily driver jeep and had to open your tailgate 4+ x per day, which tire carrier / rear bumper setup would you buy? My dog goes with me everywhere (removing back seat). That won't change. I'm building up a jeep and need to pick a tire carrier / bumper setup. I'm stuck between something like the jeeperman or the bestop and a seperate bumper. But I also will tow with the jeep (tent trailer) so I want the bumper capable of doing so.

This is my toughest decision of this build. And I'm swapping an LS1 in it.

So I place a premium on ease of entry/exit, build quality, and rugged good looks. Where would you put your $. Price is no factor, well within reason.

I also don't want it to look stupid with a 1.25" body lift. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one.
ARB Rear Tire Carrier.

I could not be bothered to deal with crappy latch designs or tire carriers that rattle around. The ARB is very solid, no squeaks, no rattles, no shaking spare wheel. The hinge bolt goes through the bumper, then through the arm, then through the bumper again. So it's fixed at two points, rather than just one.

On top of that you've got a slam shut latch and it's very easy to operate. If one of my passengers doesn't close it properly, I can actually close it while driving with a quick left-right-brake move.

It's also a full wrap around on the back of the Jeep, with a pretty good departure angle. It overlaps a lot of the body for protection - but if you've got a body lift it's going to hide that gap completely. On my Jeep with no body lift, it finishes right under the tailgate.

Here's some pics.

To fit it with my AEV Highline fender flares - I had to notch the corners out of the flares - because they're so big. With a body lift, you may need to do something similar.

Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 05:34 AM   #34
Ash7344
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
Are you referring to the High Rock Tire 4x4 carrier?
Yes Besttop is the brand, high rock tire carrier is the model(IIRC). Its the one pictured in the video a few posts back.
Ash7344 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #35
Swagoffroad
Vendor
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Take a look at this post.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sw.../#post10976588

He was able to use our drop down tailgate kit and with a bit of extra fabrication skills made a low cost tub mounted tire carrier.

Let me know if you have any questions about the drop down tailgate conversion kit we sell.

Troy

Visit us on Facebook
Swagoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #36
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

if cost wasnt a concern i would go with the ARB rear bumper/tire carrier. Its pricey, but for ease of use, i dont think you will find a better one.

I would like to see what Blaine has in store for a Savvy tire carrier after he finishes the dual rate sway bar of course....

Want to STOP?

JEEP Co-op parts, DELRIN DOOR BUSHINGS, TRE inserts
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #37
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

i love my bestop tub mounted carrier. I ditched a LOD xtreme bumper/tire carrier for it (and the equivalent LOD bumper w/o the carrier).
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #38
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have the Jeeperman unit and love it. My favorite features are the latch and the pin that holds the swingout open. It has an integrated hitch receiver but it is difficult to use for towing. Because the receiver is in the middle of the bumper, an off the shelf hitch won't work. Their is a frame crossmember that blocks the receiver.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #39
TJXTWO

I have a Body armor swing away on my 03 and an OR Fab swing away on my 06. I take my dogs with me alot (no back seat in either one) and they both work fine. The biggest pain is having to unzip the rear of a soft top if that is what you have. I switched to a hardtop for my daily driver and a bikini on my Rubi. I would think most swing away carriers would work fine.
03 TJ Sport, 4.5" RE SuperFlex short arm lift, Tereflfex ST swaybar, 33" MTR's, Body Armor bumpers @ sliders, 5 speed manual... 06 TJ Rubicon, 4.5" RE long arm lift, Currie Antirock front and rear , OR Fab bumpers @ sliders, K@N intake, custom exhaust, 1" BL , 1" motor mount lift, 35" MTR's on Pro Comp Alloys, 6 speed manual.
TJXTWO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #40
05TurboS2K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My dogs of the same weight jump right in to the back with the passenger seat folded forward.
05TurboS2K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #41
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffatBestop View Post
Think of the poor, starving engineers, desperate for a sale. And there you go, copying their work.
Oops! Sorry.
I meant, if I had to make my own to make it heavy duty enough...
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.