Idling issues after dead battery - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Idling issues after dead battery

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
Iamjr
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Idling issues after dead battery

I had a dead battery a month or so ago and had to jump start my rig and after it ran for a few minutes it would'nt idle. I rev it up and it would run fine but soon as i let off the gas and it came to a idle it would die. I unhooked the positive side terminal off the battery for a few seconds hooked it back up, started it and everything seems to be fine. It idles like normal now. Just yesterday the battery was dead again and same thing happend again. Is this normal and you have to unhook the battery to maybe reset everything or what??

Iamjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
jurob
1997 TJ Wrangler 

when the battery dies or you disconnect your battery for a amount of time the eec reverts back to its factory settings. it needs a short time to relearn.

i would clean your throttle body and iac. when the eec resets it needs the time to relearn your dirty idle air controller. factory settings assume clean iac and thats why you get the bad idle till it relearns.
jurob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My bet is on your battery being so dead or nearly dead that it's not putting out enough power to provide the alternator its required +12v exciter voltage. The alternator uses 12v from the battery to power its circuitry inside, at least on the type of alternator used in our Wranglers.

Like if you entirely removed the battery while the engine was running, which you should not do, the engine will eventually die. A good charged up battery is required for the engine to run properly.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.