Idle RPMs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Idle RPMs

Warn and Smittybilt Free Shipping OfferIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 07-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
nforcer
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Idle RPMs

I posted a similar thread last week about some idle RPMs issues (or non-issues) that I am having, but I have narrowed it down more specifically so I decided to start a new thread.

After the Jeep is warmed up to operating temperature, the idle RPMs sometimes fluctuate. It will typically stay at around 650 with no air and 700 (one line below 1000) with air. However, when I come to a stop sometimes it will dip down to around 450-500. The Jeep does not stall or feel like it is going to stall. If I tap the gas it will bring it back up to around 650. The idle always goes to these two RPMs with little or no variation.

I have replaced the IAC and the TPS. I also checked the plugs and they look good. I should also note that the Jeep only has about 4800 miles on it.

I know I have read elsewhere of people having similar problems and being told by DC that it is normal. I also checked with the dealer for any relevant service bulletins, but there does not seem to be any. Is this possibly just the normal idle characteristics of the Jeep?

nforcer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mine idles steady as a rock with 140000 miles
Unread 07-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Mine does the same thing. Sometimes at a light it will stick around at 1k, sometimes dip to about 400 or whatever, but it DOES feel like it is going to stall out. Sometimes it idles really rough and just touching the gas pedal will put it back to normal. I just figured I would drive it till something finally gives out then start troubleshooting.

However, I it has NOT done it since I cleaned out the throttle body. I just used some cleaner and scrubbed it really good with a tooth brush. It actually made a significant difference.
vindicated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'd clean the throttle body and intake really well. That helped smooth mine out somewhat.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #5
nforcer
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDogDoc View Post
Mine idles steady as a rock with 140000 miles
It seems like this problem is more specific to the 04-06 TJ/LJ. At least from what I have been reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I'd clean the throttle body and intake really well. That helped smooth mine out somewhat.
Sundowner, thanks again. I took off the throttle body and scrubbed it, but it was already super clean. I took it for a ride and it is still doing it. I am going to change the air filter later and see if that makes any difference.
Unread 07-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Whoa, we haven't changed the air filter yet? I must have missed that. By all means...install a good paper element filter and see what happens!

Second option: Seafoam Spray through the intake...

Also, did you make sure to clean out that little channel in the TB that leads to the IAC? I learned about that channel the hard way.

Unread 07-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
meatlord
Animals taste good

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Im having the same issue on my 05 Rubi, took it to dealer worried about the E05 oil pump drive gear failure TSB. I found out it wasnt faulty, so Im looking for the answer as well here.
Unread 07-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
nforcer
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Whoa, we haven't changed the air filter yet? I must have missed that. By all means...install a good paper element filter and see what happens!

Second option: Seafoam Spray through the intake...

Also, did you make sure to clean out that little channel in the TB that leads to the IAC? I learned about that channel the hard way.
Yeah, the filter is not that dirty but you never know. I cleaned out that channel but there was not any build up in it. Seafoam spray? I am a firm believer in Seafoam, but I have never seen a spray. Or do you just put it in a spray bottle?
Unread 07-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

No, there's actually a Seafoam Spray...you remove the air intake tube at the TB, and you spray the Seafoam in through an aerosol straw. Sea Foam | Sea Foam Spray

Unread 07-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Why spray though? You guys know water does the same thing, right? And it's free. Just put some water in a little red cup and let the booster line suck a little at a time.
Unread 07-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #11
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, you can do it with water, although I'd never suck it through a vacuum line. When I've used the water trick, I've done it with a spray bottle set on a fine mist and put it directly into the TB. I'm too clumsy...I'd end up sucking too much water through the line and royally screwing things up. Seafoam Spray is relatively idiot-proof...and I'm a pretty impressive idiot.

Unread 07-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #12
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yep, you can do it with water, although I'd never suck it through a vacuum line. When I've used the water trick, I've done it with a spray bottle set on a fine mist and put it directly into the TB. I'm too clumsy...I'd end up sucking too much water through the line and royally screwing things up. Seafoam Spray is relatively idiot-proof...and I'm a pretty impressive idiot.
Me too. I iz just more careful with it. I ran an ENTIRE bottle of seafoam through my booster line and didn't notice any difference. I am not against it, I just can't see doing it again. (granted I did get wonderous amounts of smoke) which was entertaining.

The $4 can of carb cleaner made an impressive difference versus the seafoam.
Unread 07-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #13
nforcer
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe I will give that a try. It just does not make sense to me. I seems like it should be throttle body/IAC/TPS related but it does not appear to be. I took the throttle body off today and cleaned it even though it looks like new inside. Like I said, I only have 4800 miles on the thing. Any other ideas? Someone has to have had this problem and fixed it...
Unread 07-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #14
nforcer
2001 XJ Cherokee 

OK, I replaced the air filter and there is no change. It is still happening but will always go away if I tap the throttle.
Unread 07-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #15
nforcer
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatlord View Post
Im having the same issue on my 05 Rubi, took it to dealer worried about the E05 oil pump drive gear failure TSB. I found out it wasnt faulty, so Im looking for the answer as well here.
Does yours do it if you have the air on?

Tags
idle , low idle , rpm , TJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.