Idle problems....need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Idle problems....need help

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
kinz384
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Idle problems....need help

ok i was gonna get my jeep inspected and wasnt sure if they would do it with check engine light on ( torque converter) so i took the positive lead off battery to reset it.
i guess i didnt tighten it down good enough, when i tried to start it, it wouldnt crank and all the gauges went crazy. so i took it off and put back on real good.
now it started but its running crazy high now. in park its at 2500 rpm, and at idle in drive its at 1100 rpm. what could be the problem? and whats the normal rpm it should be at. will it hurt to drive it?

thanks

kinz384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, if the check engine light was on because of the torque converter I would start their. I don't know how it works in Texas, but in Colorado when you go to emissions, they put the car on a dyno and connect the OBD computer to their computer. It use to be if the CEL was on automatic fail, but know they since they hook the computer up they can tell what codes are popping up and won't fail you on stupid things like PCM reset. In other words if you probably would have failed if because they would still see the code in memory.

Reseting the computer can also sometimes cause idle problems.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
kinz384
2001 TJ Wrangler 

well they dont check emissions for just an inspection. ive had torque converter looked at and was told need a new one and tranny rebuild. wasnt worried about codes and stuff just wasnt sure that if they saw the light on, if they would pass it. so i reseted it.
Unread 07-17-2010, 11:32 PM   #4
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Why are you getting your car inspected? Usually only during registration and emission testing does it need to be done. Is it a salvage title your trying to get reversed or something?

As far as your problem goes, check you IAC, Idle Air Control.
Unread 07-17-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
kinz384
2001 TJ Wrangler 

? in texas you have to have it inspected every yr. what am i checking with the IAC?
Unread 07-18-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinz384 View Post
? in texas you have to have it inspected every yr. what am i checking with the IAC?
Interesting. In Colorado you only have an "inspection" when you have to do emissions testing.

This is a picture of the throttle body. Check the IAC for clogging and give it a good cleaning. In the picture the left side is towards the front of the jeep.

Tags
high , idle , inspection

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.