Idle issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Idle issues

PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!

Unread 05-07-2015, 02:04 PM   #1
CatfishsLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Idle issues

I have a 2004 unlimited, when driving while going a steady speed I sometimes get a push of power and accelerate even though I didn't hit the gas at all, also when I am driving and let off the gas to go brake or turn my RPMs drop to almost 0 (I have stalled twice my friend helping me diagnose the problem stalled it 3 times). It will drop fast to around 100 RPM and go back up to the normal idle RPM of 700/800 around there. I could use some help please.

CatfishsLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2015, 02:29 AM   #2
CatfishsLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Guys please help me I am at a dead end
Unread 05-08-2015, 02:40 AM   #3
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have a CEL/MIL showing?...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #4
CatfishsLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Do you have a CEL/MIL showing?...
CEL says bad thortal position sensor high circuit I replaced the TPS gave it a test drive was still stalking on low rpms under 1500 but now I think it might be transmission related but I don't know much.
Unread 05-08-2015, 04:43 PM   #5
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What is the code?
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dip****s.
chevy2169 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2015, 12:38 AM   #6
CatfishsLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2169 View Post
What is the code?
P0123 and a random Evap code that's been on it since I've gotten it
Unread 05-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #7
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatfishsLJ
1. Check the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). Unplug the TPS connector and check the signal wire for 5 volts.

2. If OK, jumper the signal wire to the sensor ground and it should go to near 0 volts if the sensor ground is good.

3. Check the 5 volt reference wire.

4. If the wiring is OK, replace the TPS.
Unread 05-14-2015, 06:46 AM   #8
CatfishsLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
1. Check the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). Unplug the TPS connector and check the signal wire for 5 volts.

2. If OK, jumper the signal wire to the sensor ground and it should go to near 0 volts if the sensor ground is good.

3. Check the 5 volt reference wire.

4. If the wiring is OK, replace the TPS.
The TPS signal wire is getting 5 volts but it's flashing (not steady current) (also reading wires awesome my sort of task) I don't see any damage on connectors no reason for a wire to break but it is definitely shorting. What now?
Unread 05-14-2015, 10:41 AM   #9
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The TPS signal wire is getting 5 volts but it's flashing (not steady current) (also reading wires awesome my sort of task) I don't see any damage on connectors no reason for a wire to break but it is definitely shorting. What now?
I believe the signal wire is supposed to pulse. The 5 volt reference wire should be a steady voltage.

You could check voltage drops to be sure. Just check voltage at different positions of the wire.
Unread 05-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #10
CatfishsLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
I believe the signal wire is supposed to pulse. The 5 volt reference wire should be a steady voltage.

You could check voltage drops to be sure. Just check voltage at different positions of the wire.
Just an idea I took it in to a mechanic I know just to get a face to face opinion he read the codes did a diagnosis for me this is what he said, "found two codes p0123, p1596, voltage to TPS is flashing 5 volts, volts will not change even when unplugged. Believe it is a short or ECM problem. Also dirt/mud in ADAL connector (no idea what this is) possible water damage recommend dealer."
I did have this issue after pressure washing the engine block so that's the full story hit me with your inputs
Unread 05-15-2015, 09:15 AM   #11
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just an idea I took it in to a mechanic I know just to get a face to face opinion he read the codes did a diagnosis for me this is what he said, "found two codes p0123, p1596, voltage to TPS is flashing 5 volts, volts will not change even when unplugged. Believe it is a short or ECM problem. Also dirt/mud in ADAL connector (no idea what this is) possible water damage recommend dealer." I did have this issue after pressure washing the engine block so that's the full story hit me with your inputs
Maybe the PCM/ECM ended up getting wet when you sprayed the engine. Sometimes time is worth more than money, so you may consider the dealer like your mechanic suggested. They'll find it.
Unread 05-16-2015, 03:55 AM   #12
CatfishsLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
Just an idea I took it in to a mechanic I know just to get a face to face opinion he read the codes did a diagnosis for me this is what he said, "found two codes p0123, p1596, voltage to TPS is flashing 5 volts, volts will not change even when unplugged. Believe it is a short or ECM problem. Also dirt/mud in ADAL connector (no idea what this is) possible water damage recommend dealer." I did have this issue after pressure washing the engine block so that's the full story hit me with your inputs
Maybe the PCM/ECM ended up getting wet when you sprayed the engine. Sometimes time is worth more than money, so you may consider the dealer like your mechanic suggested. They'll find it.
Thanks man I am out of options so dealer it is I guess
Unread 05-16-2015, 07:43 PM   #13
ElDuderino762

Did you unnplug the clockspring and see if it quits?
ElDuderino762 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2015, 05:15 PM   #14
CatfishsLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino762 View Post
Did you unnplug the clockspring and see if it quits?
whats the clockspring and how could it stop it? if it does what do I need to change?
Unread 05-28-2015, 08:15 PM   #15
ElDuderino762

The clockspring is behind the steering wheel. Take off the plastic around the steering column and disconnect it. I think you can also just unplug the horn relay to test it too, but im not 100% sure on that. It sounds crazy, but that clockspring will short out and backfeed the tps causing the 123 code.
ElDuderino762 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
engine , idle , lj , rpm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.