Idle Air Controller - Trying to Clean for Rough Idle - Need Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Idle Air Controller - Trying to Clean for Rough Idle - Need Help

Halloween Savings to die for!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 08-22-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
JBWood05TJ
Cut to Fit-Paint to Match

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Idle Air Controller - Trying to Clean for Rough Idle - Need Help

I have been experiencing rough idle and a little sputtering just as I press down on the throttle. Runs fine once I'm up over about 900 - 1000 RPM.

I've seen Jerry, Wheelin98TJ, and others post recommendations to clean the IAC plunger, and I'm finally trying to get to it tonight.

Here is the picture of the throttle body Wheelin98 posted in another thread, and it looks pretty much the same as the picture in my FSM:

My problem is this: notice that where the label points to Idle Air Control Module, the arrow points directly at one of two Torx screws that are supposed to hold the IAC to the throttle body. My IAC does not have these screws. And no, they're not missing - there are no holes for these screws. I see where the IAC is two pieces, with one side cast into the throttle body. Does the IAC module thread into the throttle body on my 2005?

I don't want to force anything, and I don't want to remove the TB if I can avoid it and then have to replace the gasket.

Your guidance is much appreciated.

JBWood05TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
JBWood05TJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody have any advice? I'd like to try to get this knocked out tonight if I can.
Unread 08-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
MercuryTec
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That pics looks to be the same as my 04
MercuryTec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
JBWood05TJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I know - and it shows pretty much the same as the pic from my '05 FSM. But I'm telling you - the screws aren't there. I have a tendency to be a bull in a china closet - so I'm trying to hold off until I get some advice.

I'm going to go take a picture of it and post it.
Unread 08-22-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
MercuryTec
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Can you take a pic of it ?
Unread 08-22-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
JBWood05TJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

OK, here are a couple of pics. You can see that I've disconnected the elctrical connections for the IAC & TPS. The IAC module is complete cylindrical, no screws - not even the ears for the screws as shown on the diagram I posted.

Unread 08-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #7
MercuryTec
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yea thats must have been a change in 05 , how bout bolts that hold it to the throttle body Can't see if it has any at that angle and if it did it would be a pita to get off with out having the TB off.
looks liek it may turn off But that could just break it
Unread 08-22-2008, 09:13 PM   #8
JBWood05TJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

No screws or bolts on it. But I'm afraid of breaking it. If it's threaded in, I don't know which way it turns, or how tight it is. I don't know how strong the bolt ears hold the throttle body down are, being that they're cast. And I don't want to take the throttle body off if I don't have too because of the gasket. The stealerships around here never have jack, so I'd have to wait for it.
Unread 08-22-2008, 09:24 PM   #9
MercuryTec
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Where the red lines are there bolts holding it to the yellow line in is it 1 big assy ?
Unread 08-22-2008, 09:42 PM   #10
JBWood05TJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

No sir. The throttle body is one cast piece back to the split that you see there next to the red line you drew on the right.
Unread 08-22-2008, 09:54 PM   #11
MercuryTec
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well it Turns out or it dont come out Im Baffled .
Unread 08-22-2008, 09:59 PM   #12
JBWood05TJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Me too. I'll see if anyone else has and idea before I go at it. Like I said, I have a tendency to be a bull in a china closet sometimes. Plus, I'm not sure what I'd turn it with. Pipe wrench?

Thanks for trying to help out, man. I appreciate it.
Unread 08-22-2008, 10:03 PM   #13
MercuryTec
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yea wait for some one to chime in that has done this type before you go and break you IAC
Unread 08-22-2008, 11:12 PM   #14
Red_
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You can reuse the TB gasket. I've pulled mine off several times and I've had no vacuum leaks. Just be kind to it.

For the IAC controler, in your pick it looks like there is a flat spot cast into the IAC itself. My guess is that its for a wrench and that it screws in.
Red_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2008, 06:23 AM   #15
rob5059MOD

2007 JK Wrangler 

My 06 is the same as yours, there is one torx screw down low on the fuel rail side. The IAC has 2 o-rings on it, and will feel like it should not pull out. Just pull it straight back and hard.
046.jpg  

SOLD 06 Wrangler Unlimited Khaki, Congo Cage, D30 w/Aussie & D44 w/ Limited slip and 3.73 gears, 231HD transfer case with 2LOW and JB Conversions SYE with a Tom Woods DS. LIFT: Full Traction 4" Ultimate lift and JKS BL, Brown Dog MML. SKIDS: Jeep Medic TT and Oil Pan, Warn Gas Tank, and Rusty's Steering Box & Radiator. STEERING: ZJ steering, and PCS Steering Box. Running on 35" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains. And to ruin the look, I added Warn 6" flares to keep it legal.
rob5059MOD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.