Idle air control valve cleaning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Idle air control valve cleaning

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-11-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
unlimited4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Idle air control valve cleaning

Would a dirty IAC cause the jeep to idle lower than normal? If so, how do you clean the IAC valve?

Thanks

unlimited4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 10:23 PM   #2
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, it could. Do a search for cleaning the IAC valve and you'll find lots of threads about it.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2008, 04:30 AM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...erry+bransford
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2008, 05:45 AM   #4
unlimited4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, I swear, the JF needs to have a Ask Jerry Room in here. The man is a genius.
unlimited4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
Dgroper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What about a sudden drop in rpms when you shift out of gear coming to a stop, and I mean almost stalling out and not just the normal drop when you take it out of gear haha? Would this be related to the IAC as well? Sorry if this is a dumb question I'm still kinda new to this. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Dgroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Where the Girls Dance Different With Familiar Grace
This thread is a pretty good How-To...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cl.../#post10277503
Unread 12-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
Dgroper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks SpaceWrangler...appreciate it a lot!
Dgroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
jensjeep

I have a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo L6 4.0 and Ive been having problems with my jeep stalling, sputtering and high idleing and has backfired 3 times. My jeep has done this while driving doesnt matter if it's 55mph or 35mph. Sitting at a light or idleing in the driveway. At first it ony did it sparratically then after replacing the MAP sensor and the Ignition coil it was worse ( only replaced because codes pulled said they were bad) anyway after it got worse we decided that maybe it was the fuel pump/filter so we replaced that. The problem returned again stalling and sputtering high idle no backfires though. Did a tune up on it spark plugs, wire, distibutor cap, distributor rotor and we were still having the same problem it would stall and high idle and sputter but only slighty less than it did after replacing the MAP sensor and ignition coil. We just replaced the air filter and the TP sensor and cleaned the throttle body and IAC Valve now the only problem we seem to be having is it stalling while its in park. My husband removed the IAC Valve connection and said he hasnt had any problems with it. I beleive its too soon to tell. could this be the problem. We had the codes pulled again and the check engine light was on saying that it was the TP sensor and the throttle body was dirty and the IAC Valve might be bad. Ive also read that it might be the computer im not sure what to do? Can you tell me how to clean the IAC Valve? Any insight would be helpful.
jensjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

my jeep acted like it had a racing cam today when i started it up..shut it down and ran fine next time..has been giving me longer starts for the past 6 months and was afraid it was fuel pump related..
cleaned the iac valve a few minutes ago and wow,,starts up fast again..tryed it a few times and definitly made a big diffrence in starting my jeep..

fla cracker head born and bred

build- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...hread-1065655/
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
JeepChic
2013 JK Wrangler 

IAC cleaning

OK I see that some of these replies are old BUT: I am having major issues w/ the newly named 'Christine' sitting in my driveway...just glad I got her home. Anyway....this is a chic that has no clue about cars but not afraid to get dirty and can follow directions...is this something(cleaning IAC) a 'no car knowledge' chic can handle? Only have about 4 hours total to complete...posts say about 1 1/2 hrs but figured I would add chic time

Have been having idle/check engine/don't want to start issues for some time....figure she got REALLY pissed cause I looked at a 2005 Volvo this past weekend.....
JeepChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #11
irishff903
1997 YJ Wrangler 

Idling at 2000 2500

I have a 1997 YJ and its idles high. I have no idea what it could be. I am told to check intake manifold and it could be TPS and the IAC. what should my first move be?
irishff903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #12
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishff903 View Post
I have a 1997 YJ and its idles high. I have no idea what it could be. I am told to check intake manifold and it could be TPS and the IAC. what should my first move be?
1997 Jeep Wranglers are TJ's.

How high is the idle?...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 05:27 AM   #13
tjindiana
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimited4x4 View Post
Thanks guys, I swear, the JF needs to have a Ask Jerry Room in here. The man is a genius.
That would make it easier for Jerry. He wouldn't have to troll every thread.
tjindiana is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.