Idiotic questions. Avoiding stress on the clutch while off roading? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Idiotic questions. Avoiding stress on the clutch while off roading?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #16
Cresso
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I don't see how a hand throttle would help. It's already at zero throttle and that's still too fast.

I don't think feathering the brake would help, either. It's right on the verge of stalling in that situation. Any braking and I'm sure it would've died.

I really only see two possible solutions: put up with the abusive ride or spend dough on gearing it down more.

Cresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #17
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I play in some VERY big rocks and don't use a hand throttle. I've got no issues and am not jerky at all. Proper gearing and some experience are all you need.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #18
256ChiliPepper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You have to ride the clutch a little bit, I ride mine a bunch. Yes it is possib,e to stall it in 4lo and 1st gear. Heck I even have 4.88s and 33s and I stalled mine a couple of times yesterday wheeling. Biggest trick I can share is keep it slow, use wheel speed when needed, and when it hops the first time, clutch and roll out of it to prevent breakage. That's how I have made my D35 survive so long.
256ChiliPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #19
SuMeRiaN
2005 TJ Wrangler 

33's - 6spd - 3.07 and I have to ride the clutch more than most. I tell myself it could be worse, I could have a 5 spd.
SuMeRiaN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch , off road

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.