Idiotic questions. Avoiding stress on the clutch while off roading? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Idiotic questions. Avoiding stress on the clutch while off roading?

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 04-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
JCJeep97
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Idiotic questions. Avoiding stress on the clutch while off roading?

So. . . .

Dumb question. Is there any way to help avoid the stress on the clutch while off roading? I ride it quite a bit when I crawl, even in four low. Any tips to keep my **** from getting worn out faster than it already will?

JCJeep97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Lower gears, but you know this...
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
freedommachine
1930 XK Commander 

E-brake. It can help you from rolling backwards or forwards so you are not trying to hit the clutch, gas, brake all at the same time.
freedommachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
tchaap
2008 JK Wrangler 

There are times when feathering the clutch is just something that is necessary...a necessary evil I guess you could say with a manual. And, the clutch is a wear item, it is eventually going to wear out.

However, you would see a huge difference if you re-geared. 3.73's with 35's is pretty high but I think you already know this.
Unread 04-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJeep97 View Post
So. . . .

Dumb question. Is there any way to help avoid the stress on the clutch while off roading? I ride it quite a bit when I crawl, even in four low. Any tips to keep my **** from getting worn out faster than it already will?
Learn not to ride it so much? Choose the correct gear and keep your foot off that clutch.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have 4:88/4:3:1 on 35s, I couldn't imagine what 3:73/2:72 would be on 35s. I can understand there would be lots of clutch slippage.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I actually wonder this too. I haven't been able to get off road yet with the new 4.88s and 35s. Can it still stall when crawling in 4LO when riding the brake only trying to avoid the clutch as much as possible? I understand if you are trying to crawl a steep rock that its almost necessary to go from clutch, brake, gas, ect.
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The ONLY time I ever touch the clutch when wheeling (you aren't wheeling if you're not in 4low) is when coming to a complete stop.....aside from shifting or backing up to try another line (duh). Otherwise, don't bother with it. Just let the gas out without giving it any gas. Even with crappy gears, it should still take off just fine due to the gear reduction of 4 low.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
tchaap
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003X View Post
I actually wonder this too. I haven't been able to get off road yet with the new 4.88s and 35s. Can it still stall when crawling in 4LO when riding the brake only trying to avoid the clutch as much as possible? I understand if you are trying to crawl a steep rock that its almost necessary to go from clutch, brake, gas, ect.
I have 4.10's with a 4:1 transfer case and I can stall it in 4L but I've really got to stand on the brake.
Unread 04-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
epeck87
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i assume your talking about crawling through rock beds where you use the clutch so the jeep doesnt jerk back and fourth from your foot bouncing on the gas. one of my favorite mods i have done to my jeep is a hand throttle. and its not expensive. you can rig up your own with a bike brake cable or quadratec sells a nice kit. by using your hand to control the throttle your hand wont bounce like your foot and the jeep wont jerk as much eliminating the need for you to try to smoth out the ride with the clutch.
Unread 04-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #11
silverjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Imped is right on!!! I have 35s and 3.73 gears. Feels like I put more stress on the clutch when doing street driving since I have to feather it more. In low gear its just fine.

www.my4x4source.com Jeep parts and accessories
silverjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 09:56 PM   #12
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
The ONLY time I ever touch the clutch when wheeling (you aren't wheeling if you're not in 4low) is when coming to a complete stop.....aside from shifting or backing up to try another line (duh). Otherwise, don't bother with it. Just let the gas out without giving it any gas. Even with crappy gears, it should still take off just fine due to the gear reduction of 4 low.
Thanks, this answered my question.
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #13
Cresso
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've been in situations where the terrain isn't challenging, but it's very rocky for extended periods of time. Bowling ball-sized rocks. I was driving a friend's Jeep that was on stock 3.73 gears and 31" tires. In 4-Low, 1st gear with zero throttle (just idling), the speed was still way too fast. The ride was like a bucking bronco. The only way I could slow it down to a non-damaging speed was to feather the clutch for an extended period of time. Yes, the tires were aired down. What else can be done in those situations?
Cresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #14
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I let out the clutch and feather the brakes if I find I am moving too fast.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #15
epeck87
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresso View Post
I've been in situations where the terrain isn't challenging, but it's very rocky for extended periods of time. Bowling ball-sized rocks. I was driving a friend's Jeep that was on stock 3.73 gears and 31" tires. In 4-Low, 1st gear with zero throttle (just idling), the speed was still way too fast. The ride was like a bucking bronco. The only way I could slow it down to a non-damaging speed was to feather the clutch for an extended period of time. Yes, the tires were aired down. What else can be done in those situations?
read my post above. hand throttles are great for that stuff.

Tags
clutch , off road

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.