JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Idiotic questions. Avoiding stress on the clutch while off roading? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/idiotic-questions-avoiding-stress-clutch-while-off-roading-1197232/)

JCJeep97 04-16-2011 03:22 PM

Idiotic questions. Avoiding stress on the clutch while off roading?

So. . . .

Dumb question. Is there any way to help avoid the stress on the clutch while off roading? I ride it quite a bit when I crawl, even in four low. Any tips to keep my **** from getting worn out faster than it already will?

robncar 04-16-2011 03:28 PM

Lower gears, but you know this... :thumbsup:

freedommachine 04-16-2011 03:31 PM

E-brake. It can help you from rolling backwards or forwards so you are not trying to hit the clutch, gas, brake all at the same time.

tchaap 04-16-2011 03:41 PM

There are times when feathering the clutch is just something that is necessary...a necessary evil I guess you could say with a manual. And, the clutch is a wear item, it is eventually going to wear out.

However, you would see a huge difference if you re-geared. 3.73's with 35's is pretty high but I think you already know this.:cheers2:

BlueFlame 04-16-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCJeep97 (Post 11378954)
So. . . .

Dumb question. Is there any way to help avoid the stress on the clutch while off roading? I ride it quite a bit when I crawl, even in four low. Any tips to keep my **** from getting worn out faster than it already will?

Learn not to ride it so much? Choose the correct gear and keep your foot off that clutch.

wushaw 04-16-2011 05:30 PM

I have 4:88/4:3:1 on 35s, I couldn't imagine what 3:73/2:72 would be on 35s. I can understand there would be lots of clutch slippage.

2003X 04-16-2011 07:59 PM

I actually wonder this too. I haven't been able to get off road yet with the new 4.88s and 35s. Can it still stall when crawling in 4LO when riding the brake only trying to avoid the clutch as much as possible? I understand if you are trying to crawl a steep rock that its almost necessary to go from clutch, brake, gas, ect.

Imped 04-16-2011 08:07 PM

The ONLY time I ever touch the clutch when wheeling (you aren't wheeling if you're not in 4low) is when coming to a complete stop.....aside from shifting or backing up to try another line (duh). Otherwise, don't bother with it. Just let the gas out without giving it any gas. Even with crappy gears, it should still take off just fine due to the gear reduction of 4 low.

tchaap 04-16-2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2003X (Post 11380258)
I actually wonder this too. I haven't been able to get off road yet with the new 4.88s and 35s. Can it still stall when crawling in 4LO when riding the brake only trying to avoid the clutch as much as possible? I understand if you are trying to crawl a steep rock that its almost necessary to go from clutch, brake, gas, ect.

I have 4.10's with a 4:1 transfer case and I can stall it in 4L but I've really got to stand on the brake.

epeck87 04-16-2011 08:43 PM

i assume your talking about crawling through rock beds where you use the clutch so the jeep doesnt jerk back and fourth from your foot bouncing on the gas. one of my favorite mods i have done to my jeep is a hand throttle. and its not expensive. you can rig up your own with a bike brake cable or quadratec sells a nice kit. by using your hand to control the throttle your hand wont bounce like your foot and the jeep wont jerk as much eliminating the need for you to try to smoth out the ride with the clutch.

silverjeep 04-16-2011 09:33 PM

Imped is right on!!! I have 35s and 3.73 gears. Feels like I put more stress on the clutch when doing street driving since I have to feather it more. In low gear its just fine.

2003X 04-16-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 11380292)
The ONLY time I ever touch the clutch when wheeling (you aren't wheeling if you're not in 4low) is when coming to a complete stop.....aside from shifting or backing up to try another line (duh). Otherwise, don't bother with it. Just let the gas out without giving it any gas. Even with crappy gears, it should still take off just fine due to the gear reduction of 4 low.

Thanks, this answered my question. :cheers2:

Cresso 04-16-2011 10:35 PM

I've been in situations where the terrain isn't challenging, but it's very rocky for extended periods of time. Bowling ball-sized rocks. I was driving a friend's Jeep that was on stock 3.73 gears and 31" tires. In 4-Low, 1st gear with zero throttle (just idling), the speed was still way too fast. The ride was like a bucking bronco. The only way I could slow it down to a non-damaging speed was to feather the clutch for an extended period of time. Yes, the tires were aired down. What else can be done in those situations?

andy02 04-16-2011 11:04 PM

I let out the clutch and feather the brakes if I find I am moving too fast.

epeck87 04-17-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cresso (Post 11381032)
I've been in situations where the terrain isn't challenging, but it's very rocky for extended periods of time. Bowling ball-sized rocks. I was driving a friend's Jeep that was on stock 3.73 gears and 31" tires. In 4-Low, 1st gear with zero throttle (just idling), the speed was still way too fast. The ride was like a bucking bronco. The only way I could slow it down to a non-damaging speed was to feather the clutch for an extended period of time. Yes, the tires were aired down. What else can be done in those situations?

read my post above. hand throttles are great for that stuff.

The time now is 10:50 PM.