Ideal Cruising RPM for 4.0 from Gearing - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ideal Cruising RPM for 4.0 from Gearing

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 06-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #16
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1C41N0 View Post
Secondly, and finally, why is 2600-2700 RPM sought after for the 4.0 when the factory RPM limit is 3,000 RPM? Any input is appreciated, and I hope this thread helps someone else out too!
Yes 26-2700 is ideal for bigger tires like you are running. Where in the world did you hear or read that the factory rpm limit is only 3000 rpm? Your TJ's engine rpm limit is where the redline is on your tachometer which is well over 5K rpms.

And hopefully you went with the above solid advice to install 4.88 gearing which is ideal for 33" tires and the 42RLE transmission. 4.10 and 4.56 will produce rpms that are too low due to your transmission's ultra-low .69 overdrive gear ratio.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #17
Peterpsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Although my LJ is not a DD I find cruising w/ overdrive engaged at hiway speeds and flat areas not all that uncomfortable. I have 5.13s, auto, and 37s. My rpms at 65 - 70 are about 2100 - 2250. Frankly, I don't like running at 70 mph plus although the rig runs out smooth and occaisionally I do it...I simply didn't built it to be a hiway cruiser. Again, I'm not on the hiway much at all with the LJ and sometimes I just run w/ overdrive disengaged cruising closer to 2550 rpms which sounds/feels ideal and puts me at 55 mph, which is a safer "jeep" speed imho.

I'd agree w/ JB, ideal rpms for cruising is 2500-2700. Hopefully you geared for your desired road speed, per/ JB, and geared your transfer case to your wheeling needs.
Peterpsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #18
1C41N0
2006 LJ Wrangler 

For starters I did take the advice (thanks everyone) and went with 4.88's to match my 33s. I also went with true-tracs front and rear. (My wife can't drive a vehicle with lockers, and we have a lot of snow/ice in Nebraska) and I deploy frequently (got back from another tour 45 days ago). So she has to be able to drive it. I couldn't go any lower with the gearing due to the Dana 30.

I haven't done anything with TC yet... beings it's a DD I don't really wheel (no mud or rock crawling at all) in it, but I love it for a hunting/trail rig (plenty of deep snow.

I thought my Jeep was governing out at 3k rpm in OD (did that once) to figure out what it was.

I live where it's pretty flat with a few hills, mainly we get a really strong mid-west wind. I drive home (5 hrs) about once or maybe twice a quarter. The speed limit fluctuates between 60-75 mph. On average I stick between 70 and 75 on the interstate, I have no need to go any faster than that.
1C41N0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #19
1C41N0
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well, I got it back today and I'm impressed. I can tell I would not be happy if I went with 4.56 or anything like that.
1C41N0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #20
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats and thank you for your service!

Sent from my DROID2 using JeepForum
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2011, 10:50 PM   #21
rlk_99
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ive got 4.88's on 33's and Im running 3K at 70 with the 5spd and get about 13 mpg, 4.10's maybe 4.56's would probably suit your DD needs better then 4.88's would and yes I know you have the AUTO so there is some differences but the 4.10's on 33's puts it back to a stock style set up at least for the 5 spd.
Unread 06-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #22
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I really love how people post about what works for them without taking into consideration the needs of the person they are talking about. 5-speed and 42rle 4-speed auto.... very different things. I also love when people post about what someone else should do when that other person has already made their move.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #23
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider
I really love how people post about what works for them without taking into consideration the needs of the person they are talking about. 5-speed and 42rle 4-speed auto.... very different things. I also love when people post about what someone else should do when that other person has already made their move.
Reading comprehension?

Sent from my DROID2 using JeepForum
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 12:05 AM   #24
Rubi4Us
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1C41N0 View Post
Well, I got it back today and I'm impressed. I can tell I would not be happy if I went with 4.56 or anything like that.
Glad you like the 4.88's because that is all that matters. Some folks might have similar or exact setups as you and their advice really helps while others have great experience and opinions. I've helped a few that PM'd me because I'm running exactly what they are thinking. Hell, I even sent them pics of my speedo and rpms to help them decide what is real life with their setup.

Go drive that thing now and enjoy it!!
LJ 2005 Rubicon Unlimited "Sahara" Limited Edition #0146 of 1000
35 inch KM2's with 5.5 inch Rock Krawler Long Arm

Last edited by Rubi4Us; 06-13-2011 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: spelling
Rubi4Us is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 07:31 AM   #25
Boundless
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
thats the setup I have now and I like it. still sucks in the mountains, but not near as bad as 3.73s/31s.

This might help:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/33...6/#post9838564
That linked post should be a sticky
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) 6cyl, 4spd auto, dana 30/44 3.73, rear trac-loc, hard top, BFG KM2 35/12.5 x 15 on rattle can black stock Ravine wheels & 1.5" spacers, trimmed flares, budget PA 1" BL & RC 1" MML, Ford Explorer roof rack, Hella e-code headlight housings, 55 watt DDM HID Hi/Lo 6000k, EBC Yellow Stuff front brake pads, Platinum P4 battery, Rusty's 3" 305s front and 303s rear springs, RC rear track bar bracket and Hella 500FFs with DDM's 55watt 6000k H3 HIDs on windshield hinge brackets. Currie's front upper and lower control arms. Hummm whats next? Building a Dana HP30 with 4.88 and ? locker
http://www.canddautocenter.com/
Boundless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
rpm , cruise , cruising , ideal , 4.0 , lj , wrangler , 3.73 , 33

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.