Idaho Jeep Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Idaho Jeep Build

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 08-30-2008, 11:26 PM   #1
Idaho-Jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Idaho Jeep Build

I really enjoy reading jeep build threads especially modest ones like I have been planning. I figured I would start my own build thread which gives me a reason to document everything I do.

I did not know what to call my build - so "Idaho Jeep build" will have to do until I come up with something better. This will not be a hardcore build and for the most part will just be a modest bolt on project - but is still a lot for my first Jeep project. I am hoping that when finished this will be a good "all around" jeep. I want it to look good and perform well. I want a fairly low COG without much cutting and for it to be capable of taking some tough trails yet be able to drive down the highway without problem.

I am planning on doing as much work myself as possible however I am certainly no mechanic and will pay a pro to have certain parts of the project completed. My main helper on this project will be my 9 year old son who loves to turn a wrench and get dirty. This Jeep is not a DD so It will be sitting in the garage for a few months (or more based on the speed I work at). Rather than attempting any sort of write up for any of this work I will just provide the link to the write up I used incase anyone is interested.

Here is what I started with 18 months ago when I bought the Jeep.

2004 TJ with 12,000 miles
D30 front
D44 rear
4" Tuff Country short arm suspension lift (sold)
33x12.50 BFG MTs (sold)
Fabtech front bumper (for sale)
Bushwacker flares (sold)

(all other stock parts I am taking off - skid, front brakes, arms, fenders, steering, brake lights etc.. are for sale as well - make offer)

Within a few months I added:
wanted a spare and bought a 5th BFG MT (thought I would stay with 33s - oops) I also replaced the rear stock bumper with a Garvin Wilderness system. While being quite heavy, it has been great so far. I bought a safari top, Rock Hard rockers and I also added a Cargo Master rack with a congo cage.

A few months after that I added a winch plate and Warn XD9000i

Since then I have been saving my pennies and playing with the Jeep deciding what I wanted to do. I planned on starting the build later this Fall but could not wait any longer since I had started receiving parts.

Sitting in the garage or on the way:

TnT 3.5" Long Arm suspension lift with axle trusses and high clearance skid: http://www.tntcustoms.com/page.asp?pageid=102 http://www.tntcustoms.com/page.asp?pageid=81
TnT Outboard shock kit: http://www.tntcustoms.com/page.asp?pageid=152
TnT OTK 1 ton steering: http://www.tntcustoms.com/page.asp?pageid=178
TnT 4.5" Tube fenders: http://www.tntcustoms.com/page.asp?pageid=114
TnT 4.5" Extended wheel well corner fenders: http://www.tntcustoms.com/page.asp?pageid=208
(I should mention that I purchased all of my TnT parts through Rod at Cherokee4X4.com - he gave me great pricing and was very helpful. He is a vendor here and I highly recommend he and his company for all your Jeep parts)

Vanco Brake upgrade with Yellow stuff pads http://www.vancopbs.com/
TnT adjustable track bar
JKS 1" Body lift
Currie 1" Motor mount lift
D30 & D44 OX lockers
Yukon 4.88 R&P & install kits
AA SYE & new speedo gear
Antirock Swaybar kit
Rock Hard Ultimate sport cage with rear & angled bars http://www.rockhard4x4parts.com/tj-03.html
Overkill Engineering Grumpy Bumper http://www.overkilleng.com/overkille...umpybumper.htm *EDIT* Took 5 months to get...

Silla all aluminum radiator
Litedots - tail lights
Litebolts - front turn
Synthetic winch line - 90' x 3/8" AmSteel Blue with safety thimble
Garmin GPS - Nuvi 5000

(5) 35x12.5 Baja MTZ
(5) 15x8 Rock Monster beadlocks http://www.rockmonsterwheels.com/
Balanced with Dyna Beads http://www.innovativebalancing.com/
Front Shocks: 10" travel 2008 O.E. Remote Res. Fox shocks w/ 11" shaft.
Rear Shocks: 11" travel 2.0 Pro Series Remote Res. Fox shocks.
(I want to mention that I purchased my shocks from Sonny at Down South Motorsports. I HIGHLY recommend this guy he has great prices and knows his stuff when it comes to shocks. You won't be disappointed with this company http://downsouthmotorsports.com)

Still to do:
DRIVE IT!!!

*Edit* Be sure to read my thoughts on the parts I used - see post #528. I will try to update these thoughts ever 6 months or so.

Okay - onto the build. Feel free to ask questions or offer any advice of which I will need plenty.

Last edited by Idaho-Jeep; 08-24-2009 at 01:57 PM..
Idaho-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2008, 11:28 PM   #2
Idaho-Jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here is what I started with:

And after first round of purchases and where this build starts:

Unread 08-30-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
Idaho-Jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So to start off, I gave the engine bay and Jeep bottom a good bath and sprayed PB Blaster on every nut/bolt I thought would need to come off. I pulled off the spare, high lift, swing out tire mount, rack etc... and pulled it into the garage.

First up is the body lift. The body lift and MML is required to run the TNT lift with a high clearance belly pan - I will be so happy to get rid of that shovel. A BL is really not that difficult but I did use this write up: http://www.mudinyerioffroad.com/jks_bl.htm

Everything went pretty smoothly - although the mounts on each side of the gas tank are a real pain!

(By the way we are famous for our potatoes here in Idaho)
Unread 08-30-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
Idaho-Jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Because I am replacing my fenders with tube fenders, and the motor mounts are tough to get to I decided to pull the flares and fenders before starting the MML. Those nutserts that the bushwackers are attached with are a lot of fun. I also decided to pull off the rockers since they are attached to the fenders and thought it would be easier later during my tube fender test fits if they were gone.

After that we moved on to the fenders. There is quite a bit of crap attached to the fenders - looks like it is going to take awhile reattaching all of it.

Shot from above before:

And after:

Side views:

Question:
I took out the battery and battery tray - there is some sort of pressure switch or something that is plugged in and ran through a hole in the bottom of the stock tray. Can someone tell me what this thing is?
Unread 08-30-2008, 11:32 PM   #5
Idaho-Jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Finally I could move onto the motor mount lift. Seemed fairly simple but even with the fenders gone it took me a few hours. This is also a fairly simple job but I did use a write up which had some good advice. http://www.4x4xplor.com/MML.html

Everything went pretty smoothly, I had to jack up the motor more than I had anticipated. Doing this job with the fenders out of the way made it a lot easier.

The Currie motor mount lift kit - not much to it

The old mount - Part of the A/C is in the way and the entire bracket had to be removed to put the new mount on.

The new - 1" higher.
Unread 08-30-2008, 11:59 PM   #6
Idaho-Jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirt View Post
That plug on the bottom of the battery tray is the temperature sensor for the battery, IIRC.

Out of curiosity, which RockMonsters are you going with? The one they show on the site, or the beadlocked-moab looking one?
Temp sensor? interesting.

These are the RockMonsters I ordered:
Unread 08-31-2008, 12:18 AM   #7
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Love your Jeep, love wherever you're wheeling, and really love your house, all gorgeous
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2008, 01:04 AM   #8
Twitchy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

ya the battery temp sensor basically verifies the internal pressure build up of the battery if I am correct. It will throw codes if you're not careful with it, most people don't know about it. Interesting little sensor actually, nice build looking forward to seeing the finished results.
RCD 6" Long Arm, Procomp Xterrain 35x12.5, DC-1 Black 16x10, Champion 10,000lbs winch, PIAA lighting, H4 Headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Viking Soft Top, Tuffy Consoles, Boston Acoustic audio, Hurst short throw, Trailjammer system, Air Raid CAI
my armor thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/360-degrees-gen-right-tj-armor-594083/
Twitchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2008, 01:19 AM   #9
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

very nice so far. keep it coming
bebout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2008, 11:41 PM   #10
Idaho-Jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So it was raining today which meant another full day in the garage. I was able to make enough progress to justify another build entry.

I am waiting on paint and the rest of my lift to show up so I decided to focus on the fenders and corners. Here is the closest thing to a write up that I found. http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showt...ht=tnt+install

I started with the front fenders and assumed there would be some modifying to do for the fenders to fit right. But they both went in pretty smoothly and required only some very minor filing in a couple of the mounting holes. They were easy to adjust and fit great. I am more and more impressed with TnT. Once these fenders are bolted on they are stout!

After I had them in place and adjusted, I worked on finding a home for all the stuff I pulled off the old fenders. The passenger side was not bad at all, I had to slightly bend some of the A/C tubing, bend the mount for the fuse box and drill the holes. The drivers side was about the same except for the washer bottle. Only place that thing will fit is now down in the bottom of the fender/wheel well area.

Once both fenders were in I pulled off the old hood latches and installed them on the fenders. It was great to see the Jeep with new fenders - it makes a huge difference and I really like it.

After that I put the rockers back into place and as expected Some trimming was needed. Rather than just making a little notch to fit, I chose to trim the rocker so that the angle matched the fender. I don't mind the gap - so long as the angle is the same.

Here is a shot of the test fit:

Here is a shot of the rocker after the trim. Hard to see, but the rocker angle and fender angle are the same.

Unread 08-31-2008, 11:44 PM   #11
Idaho-Jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The corners were next. These things weigh in at over 50lbs each so putting them up on the jeep is a little tricky. I highly recommend using the wide mouth vise grips - make things much easier. Like the fenders, the workmanship by TnT on the corners is top notch, they also fit incredibly well! I had wondered if there would be gaps where the corner meets the tub at the corner - The bend is perfect and fits tight everywhere. I put the driver side on first, then drilled all the holes using the holes in the corner itself as a guide. I then put in a few spare nuts & bolts to hold it in place so I could use the vise grips on the other side. The Passenger side fit perfect as well.

Like the tube fenders, the corners hit the rockers and so I needed to trim the rockers again. The only disappointing thing with the corners is that they are made for a higher rocker. I will end up with a 2" gap between the corner notch and rocker. Because the corners will be painted to match the body color I don't think it will be noticeable.

Here is a shot before -showing how the rocker was hitting the corner:

And after I trimmed it to match the angle of the corner fender.

It was really nice getting to see the Jeep with the corners and fenders on today. I need to pull them off now and finish drilling all the holes in them. I also need to do some trimming tomorrow to the tub

So here it is - I will be putting on tires 2" larger than these and taking off 1/2" of suspension lift - Not as Low COG as I would like - but will work for me for the next couple years.... I hope.

Last edited by Idaho-Jeep; 09-02-2008 at 10:23 PM..
Unread 09-01-2008, 12:06 AM   #12
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

sweet. I love those rear corners.
bebout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #13
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

You selling the wheels and tires? How much are you looking for?
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #14
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, nice job! You might think about welding a piece on the corners to fill that gap. I'm sure the paint will help hide it, but it would pretty simple to weld a piece in.
Unread 09-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #15
Idaho-Jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
You selling the wheels and tires? How much are you looking for?
Yes among other parts. I sent you a PM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.