JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   IAC valve adjustment? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/iac-valve-adjustment-1445370/)

vernmc530 12-03-2012 12:12 AM

IAC valve adjustment?

hello! i have a 97 wrangler. high idle about 1500 and CE light on... got code p0505 iac valve bad. put a new one in and now idle is 3000!!!! tried terning jeep on and off couple times and driving 40 mph and still at 3000 the new iac valve wont adjust?????? anyone know what to try? :brickwall:
:confused:

Jerry Bransford 12-03-2012 12:19 AM

Sounds like you didn't get the new IAC seated or connected properly. When the IAC leaks or isn't working high rpms are the result

vernmc530 12-03-2012 12:25 AM

checked that took it out and put the old one back. because i need to drive it. and the new one only sticks out about 3/4 of an inch and the old one sticks out 1 1/4" ?

vernmc530 12-03-2012 12:27 AM

do i need to reset the computer and how do i do that?

TheBoogieman 12-03-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vernmc530 (Post 14544952)
do i need to reset the computer and how do i do that?

Unhook the negative battery cable for a minute.

Mboelts 12-03-2012 10:16 AM

When you installed the new one did you put the little rubber gasket on it? And if you did, did you make sure that the old gasket came off with the old IAC when you pulled it out?

vernmc530 12-03-2012 11:27 AM

Yeah checked the gasket :)

Mboelts 12-03-2012 01:49 PM

Ok just wanted to double check the easiest things first..lol

Did you pull the IAC housing?

vernmc530 12-03-2012 08:24 PM

Took off the whole TB and cleaned it before i changed the iac valve.. But all gaskets are new and on right! I pulled the new iac valve out and put the old one in it runs roughly and CE light Comes on i have to take my kids to school everyday but the new one no matter what runs at 3000 rpm and will not set its self ... I am rained out of work tomorrow so I'm going to take the new one back and get replacement one and try that!

Mboelts 12-04-2012 05:29 AM

Did you get the tps wet? Also have you done the computer reset?

vernmc530 12-04-2012 11:50 AM

I did do a little playing and hit some water that is when it started i had some miss Firing and found out that the plug wire to from the Coil to the distributor was Broken in 1/2 but still touching. So making a connection to drive around for 1/2 the day. and my check engine light was on I replaced the wires. Check engine light turned off but now engine runs at 1500 rpm. That is when I started cleaning the throttle body and came to the conclusion that the. The iac valve was bad And I did get a check engine light code p 0505 iac After the light went off from changing the spark plugs wires and came back on couple hours later of driving....

I was thinking about the TPS Sensor out was plan on actually getting that today replacing it along with the new iac valve because I'm off work today

I was thinking When my coil wire was Broken maybe it shorted some things out but.? ? ? ?

And i Want to reset the computer after replace the parts but do not know how to do that exactly?

Mboelts 12-04-2012 01:12 PM

Easy before you start replacing any sensors, pull the positive lead off the battery, and either let it sit for a few hours or some guys hold it to the negative terminal for a few minutes.

Also as a side note, I have gone through sensor issues before, always, always, always use Mopar parts for replacing sensors. Might be more expensive when you look at them at first, but if you buy junk from like autozone, you have to then add in the cost of buying the part again from Mopar and suddenly it would have just been cheaper and easier to buy the OE sensor. Trust me I found that out when I thought my TPS was going, bought a junky one from autozone, then had to go back 3 weeks later and replaced it with a mopar one, because the junk one actually fell apart in my hands when I was going to remove it.

vernmc530 12-04-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mboelts (Post 14554040)
easy before you start replacing any sensors, pull the positive lead off the battery, and either let it sit for a few hours or some guys hold it to the negative terminal for a few minutes.

Also as a side note, i have gone through sensor issues before, always, always, always use mopar parts for replacing sensors. Might be more expensive when you look at them at first, but if you buy junk from like autozone, you have to then add in the cost of buying the part again from mopar and suddenly it would have just been cheaper and easier to buy the oe sensor. Trust me i found that out when i thought my tps was going, bought a junky one from autozone, then had to go back 3 weeks later and replaced it with a mopar one, because the junk one actually fell apart in my hands when i was going to remove it.

thanks!

vernmc530 12-04-2012 05:20 PM

Ok so reset the ecu put the new Iac back in and try to turn on and still same thing its not responding.

Went down and replaced it, put this one in and Within seconds of starting it the iac valve adjusted down to the proper speed.(rpm) and no drop in rpm when a Load is placed on the engine. :) :tea:

vernmc530 12-04-2012 05:38 PM

thanks mboelts for your input :)

after driving for a min and still noticing something not right about her(my jeep) i started thinking about the TPS. the idle is fine now but it is still running rich and off a little. so i did go get one and she purrs like a kitten again!!!!!!!!! :highfive:

running rich, smelled rich, bad gas mileage , lagging. should have thought tps sooner? but didn't throw a code for that only the iac ? :2thumbsup:

The time now is 02:57 PM.