Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

I think this is some sort of oil draining from A/C - any help?

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  player1up 
#1 ·
I think this is the AC Condensor drain. Someone tell me if I'm wrong.

I started the jeep up and had it running for a bit in my garage. My wife walked out and asked what that fluid was coming out under the jeep. I glanced and said, "Oh thats just the water consensation from the AC"

When I got in the jeep, the AC wasn't working as strong as it used to, but I didn't really notice it since the top was off and it was starting to get a bit chilly.

Then when we got back several hours later the puddle was still there. I touched it and it was oily, I smelled it and it had a slight smell. I looked under the jeep and stuck a towel in this outlet, it had the same color and smell so I think thats where it was coming from. (It was also the approximate location I noticed when I looked under it).

Is that an AC Condenser failure? Or something else?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Not sure on whether or not that is the condinsate drain for the evap....you said it's oily but didn't specify color and can't tell from pics? Is it green? The only green oil in your jeep would be in the ac system so that would pretty much narrow it down.

Is it not blowing cold at all by now? A leak big enough to drip oil would more than likely lose all of its charge that quick.

I'd feel comfy saying suddenly blowing warm + green oil through firewall = leaky evaporater core.

Good time to finish it off and do an on board air conversion?!? ;-)

#6 ·
Thanks... so it sounds like it's time to order an evaporator? Or is there something g else to test or check? AC function is certainly diminished. I like air on board in theory but I doubt I could motivate myself to do it for the 1 time id use it... ha! I trailer to off-road.

#7 ·
Changing the evaporator is a PITA. I wouldn't rush into that conclusion until I was sure I'd ruled out everything else. It very well may be the problem, but I'd hate to pull the dash out and dig back in there for it and then find out it was something else.

#11 ·
#12 ·
Being that the entire HVAC box is a pretty simple device which houses both the heater core and the evaporator, I imagine that it would be possible that a bad heater core might overflow enough to get into that side of the box. Either way, the dash has to come out and then you get to tinker around in the box. Been there, done that more than I'd like to admit to even if I did noting to cause any issues there...Ok, well there was that one time I forgot to reinstall the blend door so it blew warm A/C.
As silly as it may sound, I'd put that little cap back on the low-side port. Mine leaked there enough to lose the refrigerant after a couple days. Make sure there's one on the high-side service port as well.

#13 ·
You've got a hot jeep...fix your A/C ;)
You definitely want to make sure of the cause.
A/C oil is yellow and smells like circus poop

I just did the evap core on my 99 a couple of weeks ago. Here in FL, A/C is mandatory for me. I was big into the muscle car scene for about 15 yrs and I see guys pulling the systems because of problems and what ends up happening is that they never drive the car anymore. I run the A/C even with the windows/top down, it helps to not arrive looking like I've been swimming when it's 104° out.

I downloaded the instructions from Jeep A/C to get an idea of what it was going to take to get it done. Took me about 6 hrs from picking up the first wrench to emptying the last can of R134. Keep in mind that I'm no mechanic ( I work in IT ) , but have been wrenching for 30 yrs.

Parts Needed ( rockauto prices )
Evap core $40-50
Dryer $13-20
0-ring kit $9
2 12oz cans of 134 ( walmart for $4.88 each ) This is 1.5 lbs, exactly what the factory capacity is for an empty system

Gotchas to be aware of:
Unhook the battery ( you have to unplug the passenger airbag and we don't want any surprises )
Pull the glove box and pull any and all plugs you can see including unbolting the fuse block. ( you don't want to be trying to support the dash while trying to unplug the connectors you missed )
Be careful with the vacuum connector to the A/C head unit.
Bolts for the HVAC box are a pain to get to behind the battery. ( I pulled the ECU to allow easy access to the one down in there )

Specialty tools needed:
A/C vacuum, A/C line quick disconnect tool, A/C manifold gauge set ( to verify you have no leaks )
Common sense ( yes, I listed it as a specialty tool since it seems to be getting more rare these days :) )

IMHO it's no harder than putting in a lift kit but there are some tools you'll need to rent to make sure all of the work isn't in vain.

After it's all said an done, my A/C is so cold it will condense water on the top of the A/C vent bezel if it's humid enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.