I think my T-case might be shot. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I think my T-case might be shot.

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!

Unread 04-29-2015, 04:10 PM   #1
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I think my T-case might be shot.

Last weekend I had a ujoint in my rear drive shaft fail which led to my drive shaft coming apart in two pieces. I was about 60 miles from home with no other options so I removed what was left of the shaft and limped home in 4H. I have since replaced the bad Ujoint but when I installed the shaft I noticed a lot of noise that sounded like a U Joint chirp kind of like a baseball card in a bike tire spoke. I have inspected the U Joint countless times and it looks fine to me so I think my T-Case may be the problem. I noticed that I only hear the noise when I am accelerating or in gear. When coasting in neutral the sound is not present. I pulled the rear drive shaft and drove in 4H to see if there was a sound and it was quiet. Any ideas here?

Jwolfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2015, 04:35 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

did you put a new driveshaft or the old one? Could have bent the shaft or messed it up...
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It's the old shaft. I am going to have it balanced this weekend hopefully since there aren't any shops in town that can balance it. It looks fine to the eye but it could be tweaked just enough to cause trouble.
Unread 04-29-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
yinyangTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you are not getting any noises w/o the driveshaft then I wouldn't think the problem is with the transfer case. I recently had to rebuild my case bc of a bad input bearing but was only able to isolate the sound once I pulled both shafts and crawled under it with the jeep running and in gear. You could try the same just to rule out the t case. But I would suspect the driveshaft is still the problem, maybe bent or out of balance.
yinyangTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2015, 05:02 PM   #5
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinyangTJ View Post
If you are not getting any noises w/o the driveshaft then I wouldn't think the problem is with the transfer case. I recently had to rebuild my case bc of a bad input bearing but was only able to isolate the sound once I pulled both shafts and crawled under it with the jeep running and in gear. You could try the same just to rule out the t case. But I would suspect the driveshaft is still the problem, maybe bent or out of balance.
That sounds like a good plan. I'm really hoping it's just the drive shaft but I won't know until I get it balanced this weekend unfortunately.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.