I think it may be time to pull the plug on my TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I think it may be time to pull the plug on my TJ

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!JK Rear Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 08-20-2013, 04:36 AM   #1
mparks813
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I think it may be time to pull the plug on my TJ

Need some advice here folks.
My son was involved in an accident last night in Tampa. I assume that the TJ will be totaled. My Question:
Should I buy this back from the insurance company after they pay to part it out? I told my wife I would've raced off to any junkyard if I knew they had a fresh TJ in their lot.
Anticipating questions:
Hard top; MICKEY THOMPSOM beadlocks; sound bar; full doors electric locks; alarm w/ remote start, seats, carpet; some of the engine compartment is OK I rove it for a half mile before I thought I should get it towed.
Is it worth the hassle? The front end is mangled, the frame bent but the rest of the jeep is relatively OK.

mparks813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

All depends what they'll take for it vs. what you think it's worth to you (parts you keep/sell).

Details on the wheels/tires please. I'll be in Tampa at the beginning of September...
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
prjohnson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If insurance totalled mine & gave me the option to buy it back, I'd likely turn it into a trailer queen & wheel the piss out of it. I had a slight twist in my frame & was pretty shocked at how cheap it was to straighten it out. Most of the time was spent just hooking it up & to straighten it out only took an hour. I think the total cost was around 400 bucks. If the engine & trans/xfercase is fine, everything else could be upgraded, or found on Craigslist. Post up some pictures.
prjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
dylan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

if you can pick it up cheap i'd say buy it back. if you have good tires and rims on it, that'll probaly pay back your investment of buying back the recked jeep. Then once you part the thing out you can toss the rest of it on a trailer and scrap then remains for around $200. In the end you'd probaly make a few decent bucks
dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
elmoe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I may be interested in the full doors if you decide to part it out.
elmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
mparks813
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Folks, Thanks for al of the comments. Unfortunately the Ins company thinks wrecked Jeeps are cool too. They want $2K for salvage. So I let them take it. It's going to Cophers Carparts in Tampa.

MParks813
mparks813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparks813 View Post
Folks, Thanks for al of the comments. Unfortunately the Ins company thinks wrecked Jeeps are cool too. They want $2K for salvage. So I let them take it. It's going to Cophers Carparts in Tampa.

MParks813
i'd think the hardtop and tires are worth $2k, and you could easily part out the rest and make some cash
Ironhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
kittenmittens
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i would buy it back depending on how bad the damage was. i bought my tj back for 4g from the insurance company and fixed it for $300. but it all depends on the damage and i did loose my hard top

Like ironhead stated if you buy it back its almost impossible to lose money. part it out or build it up
kittenmittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparks813 View Post

MParks813
Not sure what you were expecting, but that sounds like a deal to me. You've already got people in this thread who are interested in the wheels/tires and the full doors (which usually go for a good price). If you think parting it out is a hassle then thats fair, but there is money to be made.
Unread 08-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
prjohnson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Not sure what you were expecting, but that sounds like a deal to me. You've already got people in this thread who are interested in the wheels/tires and the full doors (which usually go for a good price). If you think parting it out is a hassle then thats fair, but there is money to be made.
Agreed. Smoking deal IMHO.
prjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #11
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I wish I had the money to buy a wrecked Jeep like that.. I'd sell the hard top and doors and have a free Jeep!
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.