I need some Advice (lift for 33" tires) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I need some Advice (lift for 33" tires)

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-16-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
Smitty98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I need some Advice (lift for 33" tires)

I have a 1998 TJ sport and i was wondering what kind of lift i should get for 33 inch tires, i am looking at the rough country 3.75 inch combo kit with 2.5 suspension lift and 1.25 inch body lift. Also maybe 1 or 1.5 inch coil spacers in the front to give it a nice squat. Please tell me what you think i should do.

Smitty98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

what kind of budget are you looking at?

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
Smitty98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing over a 1000, but somewhere in the range of 500
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

RC makes a good product. If you cant go over 1000.00 then I would go with the RC 2.5" lift with the shock upgrade and then get a JKS body and motor mount lift . Get all that and then grab a slip yoke eliminator and a CV driveshaft as soon as you can afford it. That way you can get your belly up and really get the most for your money

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
Smitty98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alright that sounds good thanks, also i heard that if you get like 33's or 35's then you have to get new gears with a higher gear ratio, is that true
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

oh I see you have alot of questions...well yes and no. You dont HAVE to change gears. It just sucks alot to run around on the wrong gears per tire.

First of all lets start with your jeep.

What transmission do you have?

What rear axle do you have? ( go under your jeep and tell me how round your axle is. if its very oval shaped and has a plastic drain hole plug you have a dana 35.)

What current gear ratio do you have? ( Look at the rear axle on one side of it will be a peice of metal between two of the diff cover bolts. On there if you can still read it will be the gear ratio)

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Unread 05-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
Smitty98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah lol i just got the Jeep and i want to get it lifted up as soon as possible, i didnt want to get random stuff and not know what i'm doing so i got on the jeep forum lol, i have the ax-15 transmission 5 speed manuel, i think the rear axel is a dana 44 but dont know for sure, i was working on it earlier today and the axel looked like it did have a drainage plug, i think the gear ratio is 3.73

Last edited by Smitty98TJ; 05-19-2010 at 08:13 PM..
Unread 05-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

well it definately has a drain plug. It looks round with a square in the middle of it. You remove it with a half inch drive ratchet.

Yeah you are probobly going to hate those gears if you go to a 35 inch tire but on 33s it will be bearable.

Are you planning on doing any off-roading? if so what kind of terrain do you think you will be wheeling it?

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Unread 05-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
Smitty98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Its my daily driver and and i do plan to do some off roading, mostly muddin and trails

Last edited by Smitty98TJ; 05-19-2010 at 08:14 PM..
Unread 05-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #10
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

well welcome to the forum. Keep us updated and post some pics of your jeep and your rear axle when you get a chance

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Unread 05-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #11
Smitty98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alright will do, thanks for the advice
Unread 05-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #12
BoarderX47
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum first off, secondly take some time and completely fill out your profile so we know what is on your jeep. Here are some good pages to do that with.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/st...1/#post4118396
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/st...1/#post4118404

Depending on your rear axle going to 35's requires a good amount of work. New gears, bigger breaks, new axles if you have a dana 35 rear, the list goes on. Running 33's can be achieved relatively cheaply going with a Budget boost and a 1" body lift. Add a tummy tuck to that and you have a nice rig. Good luck with the build. Do some searches around here, this same question gets asked about every day.
BoarderX47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #13
Smitty98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

@BoarderX47 Alright got all the info for my Jeep, thanks for the help

Tags
lift kits , lifts , rough country , tires , tj lift kits

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.