I need help with wheels and tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I need help with wheels and tires

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 12-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
CWilk
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I need help with wheels and tires

Im buying a 4 inch suspension lift for my wrangler. I've always been a fan of the wranglers with spaced out wheels that give them that staggered look. I want to get this look too, buy I'm not sure what specifically to get. I am getting 33s and thinking may 12.5 inches wide on 15x10 inch rims. How much backspacing should I need for what I want? If you have a picture of what you think I want feel free to post.

CWilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What are your plans for this rig? Are the lift and tires just for looks? Basically, you want numerically lower backspacing number to achieve the wider stance look. I'd say somewhere around 3.75" backspacing. If you plan to use this rig offroad then go for a 8" wide wheel instead of 10".
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
CWilk
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Why would I want less width on the wheel? And would it fit 12.5 wide tires? I go offroad quite a bit.
CWilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWilk View Post
Why would I want less width on the wheel? And would it fit 12.5 wide tires? I go offroad quite a bit.
X2 on the 15x8 recommendation. First, that 12.5" wide tire isn't 12.5" wide anywhere but at its widest point which is half-way up its sidewall. Neither the tread nor bead seating edges are anywhere near that wide.

The benefit to a 15x8 wheel with a 33x12.50 tire, and I run 15x8 wheels with my 35x12.50 tires, is that you can air down to lower tire pressures with less chance of the tire coming unseated than with a 15x10 wheel. It makes sense if you think about that it takes less air pressure to hold a tire against two wheel edges that are 8" apart than if they are 10" apart.

The bottom line is you can offroad with less worry about your tires unseating with 15x8 wheels than if you went with 15x10 wheels. And a 15x8 works fine on the street too.

For backspacing, 3.75" to 4.5" is what you want. 4" to 4.25" is ideal. 4.5" is a tad too much but it works if you add two washers to the steering stop bolts. That's what I used to run since I didn't want my tires sticking out any further than necessary for some of the tight/narrow trails I enjoy.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
These tires are 14.5" wide. The taller tire is on an 8" wide rim, and the shorter tire is on a 9.5" rim... The kicker is that these are the exact same tires, yet the ones on the 8" rim are almost 2" taller. Half of that is because the weight of the Jeep is on the 9.5" rim tire, and the other half is because the narrow rim crowns the tire a bit more.

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
Butch300
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Im buying a 4 inch suspension lift for my wrangler. I've always been a fan of the wranglers with spaced out wheels that give them that staggered look. I want to get this look too, buy I'm not sure what specifically to get. I am getting 33s and thinking may 12.5 inches wide on 15x10 inch rims. How much backspacing should I need for what I want? If you have a picture of what you think I want feel free to post.
Contact TXST8tj

He does a lot of this type of work and he is located pretty close to you.

I am sure he could give you a pretty good idea.
Butch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2012, 04:22 AM   #7
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

35x12.50's with 8" wide wheels with 3.75" backspacing.

33x12.50's with 10" wide wheels with 4" backspacing.

I've never had a problem with either.Robncar ran 10" wide wheels for years and aired down low with no problems either.
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.