I need help please...what is this? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I need help please...what is this?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
willrigdon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I need help please...what is this?

I've been to autozone and advanced auto parts and we can't figure out what this is...it came off my transfer case near the rear output shaft...its causing a massive fluid leak and needs replaced...i've crawled the fourm and can't seem to find anything...the best we could come up with is a speed sensor...but i know theres a speed sensor on the transmission and we pulled up speed sensor on their computer and it wasn't the same thing...this is really killing me so any advice would help...thank you

img_3833.jpg   img_3834.jpg   img_3835.jpg  
willrigdon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

Yep it's a speed sensor you must have a rubicon.

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
willrigdon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I do have a rubicon...why doesn't autozone or advanced auto have this...when we typed speed sensor it came up with the one on the transmission...do you know where I can get this part?
Unread 07-18-2010, 02:39 AM   #4
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Yep it's a speed sensor you must have a rubicon.
But it looks like a temp sensor!!! How does it sense speed like that How does it work?
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 03:47 AM   #5
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It goes in the transfer case I believe, because we Rubicon owners have an electronic speed sensor. Not a gear in the t-case like all the other jeeps.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 03:50 AM   #6
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
... we Rubicon owners...
You make it sound as if you are different species

TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 04:44 AM   #7
tjthorson
2014 JK Wrangler 

The rubicon speed sensor is not gear driven like the regular jeeps, its an "electronic" sensor. Basically its a hall effect type sensor - as something on the transfer case output shaft comes close to the sensor, it detects a "revolution" - from those pulses it calculates speed.

No matter what Wrangler you have, rubicon or not, the sensors are at the rear of the transfer case. On a 2 wheel drive vehicle, it would be at the rear of the trans. They were looking up the wrong vehicle and/or part.

But - all you should need to replace is the o-ring on it. The do go bad and need replacing - shouldnt need to replace the whole sensor!
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #50
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Gecko Green (Wife's DD)
Gecko Green Jeep Club Member #1
2005 Yellow Unlimited Rubicon (sold)
My Band! -> http://www.forgethannah.com
http://www.toddsplace.com
tjthorson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 04:56 AM   #8
asbury
1995 YJ Wrangler 

dealer part
Unread 07-18-2010, 07:36 AM   #9
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

Yeah what he said. If you were to open your tcase up you would see that just below that there is a metal ring and as the ring turn that sensor allows the PCM to calculate speed. From the looks of the sensor I see no reason to replace it just put a new o ring on it and bolt it back on.

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Unread 07-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
willrigdon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's not the oring that's messed up it's the plastic grove the oring sits in that's messed up...not sure how it happened but the plastic got bent up somehow creating a gap and replacing the oring won't fix the problem...but thank you all for your quick and helpful responses
Unread 07-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

Try some black rtv on the plastic then place the o ring on. Tighten it down and test drive. If that dosent work I'd look into a new one.

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Unread 07-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #12
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willrigdon View Post
I do have a rubicon...why doesn't autozone or advanced auto have this...when we typed speed sensor it came up with the one on the transmission...do you know where I can get this part?
Here you go: More Information for AIRTEX / WELLS 5S4942

Found it under 2005 Rubicon on Rock Auto...
Unread 07-19-2010, 04:57 PM   #13
willrigdon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for all the help guys...i ended up going to the dealership and ordering it...tried fixing the part myself...it was a complete failure

Tags
rubicon , speed sensor , transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.