I need help with lift kits!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 25 Old 09-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 24,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBO17 View Post
I have a 2000 TJ Sport and i have a 2" "spacer" lift. I want 2 more inches of lift and I want to run 33's. I've been looking on 4x4 sites for a while now and Im starting to question what I thought I knew. As of now, I think there are 2 kinds of lift (Suspension and Body) I thought that a spacer lift was a body lift, but as I look for a 2" suspension lift, I keep seeing things like "Kit includes: Front coil spring spacers, rear coil spring spacers, etc and these are in the "suspension lift" section of the site. If I already have a spacer lift, would this be the same thing?...Is a spacer lift a suspension lift?? Im all
A spacer lift is a suspension lift, however you don't want to combine a spacer lift with a coil lift. Theres a lot of reasons why, and Imped has touched on many of them. The main reasons is it can lead to something called coil bind, and you can damage your coils. If you want 4" of lift (2" more than you have now), then buy a 4" lift...you'll need bumpstop extensions, new shocks, new coils, new sway bar links, a SYE/CV shaft, adjustable track bars, a rear track bar bracket, adjustable control arms, longer brake lines, steering upgrades, brake upgrades, regearing, and probably a few other things i'm forgetting at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
I gave what I thought was a plain, thorough response that would hopefully provoke him to go take a look at things and comprehend it.
I agree. Go look for yourself, lay under the jeep and imagine what happens when things are in motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKABOB View Post
you left out the part where he is correct and helpful.
x2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds79cj View Post
But some of us actually like going out and driving our jeeps not sitting on a forum insulting people and giving advice all day.
Those that give advice "all day", like Imped, typically do so because they're on the trail more than most. They've learned from setting up their suspensions right and learned lessons from trial and error. They communicate the advice because they're tired of seeing rigs busted up and/or not working on the trail...which holds everyone up.

Unlimited04 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 25 Old 09-20-2011, 04:04 PM
bcash616
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: simpsonville
Posts: 437
I find it funny, that people think they can be a smart ***, or insulting and yet think they are to be respected because of their knowledge or post counts....

Some people don't understand how mechanics work, or just haven't had much suspension experience, myself included( first jeep) so please don't treat us as idiots.....

I am a crane tech at a Michelin plant and have been doing that for almost 9 years(many crane repairs and inspections) yet I don't insult the operators when they ask questions. I try to create a mutual respect level....

I know imped and unlimited are full of info, I just wish they weren't so offended by our "foolish" questions..

I am finished...
bcash616 is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 09-20-2011, 04:54 PM
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler
 
RubiconRazorbac's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO
Posts: 3,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcash616
I find it funny, that people think they can be a smart ***, or insulting and yet think they are to be respected because of their knowledge or post counts....

Some people don't understand how mechanics work, or just haven't had much suspension experience, myself included( first jeep) so please don't treat us as idiots.....

I am a crane tech at a Michelin plant and have been doing that for almost 9 years(many crane repairs and inspections) yet I don't insult the operators when they ask questions. I try to create a mutual respect level....

I know imped and unlimited are full of info, I just wish they weren't so offended by our "foolish" questions..

I am finished...
If you'd lose that chip on your shoulder, instead of thinking of things as smart *** or insulting, you may see them as informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Your shaft isn't long enough to handle that kind of droop...
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 09-20-2011, 05:45 PM
bcash616
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: simpsonville
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac

If you'd lose that chip on your shoulder, instead of thinking of things as smart *** or insulting, you may see them as informative.
Chip on my shoulder??? I am being humble as possible......in fact I just give up asking some questions because I don't feel like being belittled.....this forum is very informative at times, but very ornery at times as well. Seems like the same ones being jerks over and over....oh well, with followers like u, we will all have to deal....
bcash616 is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 09-20-2011, 05:55 PM
biffgnar
Moderator
 
biffgnar's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 20,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds79cj View Post
Heck he has over 12,000 post in 3.5 years that is 120 post a day and thatís if he is on here 7 days a week 365 days a year.
120????????

12,000/(3.5 X 365) = ~9.8

Seems like in this thread you have demonstrated issues with both reading comprehension and math. What's next?

#LetGaryDebate
biffgnar is online now  
post #21 of 25 Old 09-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Imped
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 20,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsstoudt View Post
Maybe I should keep my mouth shut, but as one PA Jeeper to another I think Imped is trying to tell you to crawl under and look at things, get an understanding of how the suspension works so you can make the decision as to what will work the best for you, my 2 cents now I'll be quiet.
You got it man, no reason to be quiet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds79cj View Post
120 post a day


10 posts a day is pretty easy....

Dude, I sit at a computer for a good portion of the day. If you want to assume you know so much about me, I'll tell you--I'm an internal quality auditor for an electronics programming/processing company and I have an educational background in both mechanical engineering and supply chain management. I spend my free time (mostly weekends) either working on my Jeep, working on other jeeps, wheeling, going to concerts, or watching football. Bars and the girlfriend fit in there as well. So, I do have a bit of a life outside of JF. I agree, if I had 120 posts a day, I wouldn't have much of one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
120????????

12,000/(3.5 X 365) = ~9.8

Seems like in this thread you have demonstrated issues with both reading comprehension and math. What's next?


Nice math, biff.

OlllllllO
Float Test Build
IndyORV
Imped is offline  
post #22 of 25 Old 09-20-2011, 07:35 PM
MayRoll
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hollister, CA
Posts: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcash616 View Post
Chip on my shoulder??? I am being humble as possible......in fact I just give up asking some questions because I don't feel like being belittled.....this forum is very informative at times, but very ornery at times as well. Seems like the same ones being jerks over and over....oh well, with followers like u, we will all have to deal....
You're not being belittled. Take nothing personally. Nobody was being shut down in this thread.

Yes Imped can be a jerk, Unlimited can teach you alot about shock lengths and bumpstops. And biffgnar is handy with a calculator. Neither of them are as good of a driver as me.

This all started because Imped suggested to crawl under a jeep. And if someone still can't figure out the how and why. I'm sure everyone here will be willing to help.

Thick skin goes along way.

First of the Breed
03 Khaki Rubi
JF short arm champ
MayRoll is offline  
post #23 of 25 Old 09-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Imped
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 20,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayRoll View Post

Yes Imped can be a jerk


I'm glad that's all I bring to the table.

As for the driving, it sounds like a comp may be in order.

OlllllllO
Float Test Build
IndyORV
Imped is offline  
post #24 of 25 Old 09-20-2011, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
TRBO17
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 25
Ive been under my jeep and checked things out. This is how i noticed the spacers and began to wonder if it was a body or suspension lift. Im not sure why Im the idiot because I didnt just know which it was. Looking under my jeep isnt going to necessarily teach me what type of lift is going to work best for me. Im trying to become more of a backyard mechanic but this is my first jeep and Im still learning. Thats why I ask
TRBO17 is offline  
post #25 of 25 Old 09-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 24,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBO17 View Post
Ive been under my jeep and checked things out. This is how i noticed the spacers and began to wonder if it was a body or suspension lift. Im not sure why Im the idiot because I didnt just know which it was. Looking under my jeep isnt going to necessarily teach me what type of lift is going to work best for me. Im trying to become more of a backyard mechanic but this is my first jeep and Im still learning. Thats why I ask
we can't tell you what lift is going to work best for you either. we don't know how & where you drive on-road and off. we don't know the terrain you're interested in.

you'll need to figure that stuff out for yourself after doing research & learning. the links in my signature are a good place to start.
Unlimited04 is offline  
Reply

Tags
body lift , lift , lift + spacers , suspension lift

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
lift kits rickieross TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 5 04-25-2009 07:53 AM
Question about lift kits and spacer kits. EvanQuinn TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 4 01-11-2009 05:21 PM
will my body lift affect future lift kits??? SouthernMoose TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 6 10-22-2006 08:34 PM
Lift kits for 97 2.5 L Trevor Tj 97 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 1 09-25-2006 08:14 AM
Help with lift kits for my TJ moush TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 15 01-15-2005 07:54 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome