JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   I need help with lift kits!!! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/i-need-help-lift-kits-1267058/)

TRBO17 09-20-2011 08:59 AM

I need help with lift kits!!!

I have a 2000 TJ Sport and i have a 2" "spacer" lift. I want 2 more inches of lift and I want to run 33's. I've been looking on 4x4 sites for a while now and Im starting to question what I thought I knew. As of now, I think there are 2 kinds of lift (Suspension and Body) I thought that a spacer lift was a body lift, but as I look for a 2" suspension lift, I keep seeing things like "Kit includes: Front coil spring spacers, rear coil spring spacers, etc and these are in the "suspension lift" section of the site. If I already have a spacer lift, would this be the same thing?...Is a spacer lift a suspension lift?? Im all :confused:

Imped 09-20-2011 09:09 AM

Your suspension constrains, locates, and holds the frame up off the axles. Your body is attached to the frame at 11 body mounts. You can change the height between the axles and frame ("suspension lift") or between the body and frame ("body lift"). Just go look at your Jeep. If you have eyes, they'll teach you things.

Coil spacers--instead of getting new, longer coils, these effectively reduces the space between the upper spring seat and the axle, raising the frame higher. The ONLY thing that qualifies as being related to a body lift is a body lift--pucks or taller mounts that raise the body up off the frame. You only want to use a small body lift (1-1.25) as a tool to tuck the drivetrain/gas tank up for added clearance. As you sit now, you've got enough room for 33's, especially if you added a small body lift. You'd gain more ground clearance by tucking than by lifting.

TRBO17 09-20-2011 09:17 AM

I figured that I had enough room for 33's but I'm also looking for clearance. I do some off-roading with friends (mud pits, rock climbing etc) I was taught to stay away from body lifts because they'll only hurt me in the long run.

Caribic-TJ 09-20-2011 09:22 AM

You can add a 1.25" body lift and fit 33x10.50R15 tires. A 1.25" body lift is very common and won't hurt you in the long run. Since you do some rock climbing get an oil pan protection too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
08 JKU Rubicon
98 TJ fully locked

jds79cj 09-20-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 12197021)
Just go look at your Jeep. If you have eyes, they'll teach you things.

I have never understood having to insult someone in order to give them advice!!! I guess some people just have to feel superior before they can help someone out.

To the OP the reason the spring spacers are list as a suspension lift is because they pertain to the suspension. Adding 2" spacers is similar to adding 2" lift springs. Some people prefer spacers because it allows you to get a little more clearance while basically keeping the factory ride and are usually a lot cheaper than a spring lift.

It is easy to tell if you have spring spacers, look at the top of you coil and if there is 2-3 inch thick rubber, aluminum or hard plastic spacer between the spring and top perch you have a spacer lift.

To tell if you have a body lift look under you driver door and right under the left corner of the door you'll see one of what is called the body mounting points. Typical body mounts use around 1" inch rubber bushing between the frame bracket and the jeep body. If that bushing is around 2-3 inches thick you have a body lift.

If you have a body lift and you want more clearance you can order the 2" inch spacer budget boost lift. Several companies sell these just do a Google search and do a little research. However if you currently have a spring spacer lift and want more clearance you can order a body lift or you can replace the spring spacers with a 3 or 4" complete suspension lift. This would include replacing your spring’s shocks and depending on the kit you order the control arms, and track bars

TheBoogieman 09-20-2011 09:38 AM

Just add 3" springs up front in place of the spacers and a 1.25" BL.I ran that combo withg 35's.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2.../xmasjeep5.jpg

Imped 09-20-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jds79cj (Post 12197114)
I have never understood having to insult someone in order to give them advice!!! I guess some people just have to feel superior before they can help someone out.

I guess some people inherently miscomprehend what I say then quickly spout out an incorrect assumption. If I insult you, it'll be obvious and deserving. That certainly wasn't an insult.

You're like a gnat. Keep trying.

bcash616 09-20-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped

I guess some people inherently miscomprehend what I say then quickly spout out an incorrect assumption. If I insult you, it'll be obvious and deserving. That certainly wasn't an insult.

You're like a gnat. Keep trying.

You do and have sounded insulting in many of your replies.....just saying!

Imped 09-20-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcash616 (Post 12197812)
You do and have sounded insulting in many of your replies.....just saying!

All hurt feelings aside, of course I'm a dick when it's warranted. That's consistent whether I'm on the keyboard or in front of you--that's just who I am. The OP didn't warrant it, nor did I insult him. I gave what I thought was a plain, thorough response that would hopefully provoke him to go take a look at things and comprehend it.

rockwallchamp09 09-20-2011 02:18 PM

first find out where its rubbing then decide because you can get away with a little trimming of the fenders a bit just for that extra little bit of space

jds79cj 09-20-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 12198510)
All hurt feelings aside, of course I'm a dick when it's warranted.

Translation -

"I am the off-road god and the only Opinions, ideas or products that matter are the ones I have, I present and Iím paid to push. If you try to present a different opinion, idea or product then me I will berate, belittle and insult your intelligence to show you I am superior to you. Now be gone the god of off-road has no time for you"

AKABOB 09-20-2011 03:27 PM

you left out the part where he is correct and helpful.

Imped 09-20-2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jds79cj (Post 12198869)
paid to push.

:laugh:

I wish.

Get some parts experience under your belt and you will also be able to differentiate between the small lot of parts that work and the large lot of parts that don't.
Quote:

Originally Posted by AKABOB (Post 12198917)

Thanks Bob, always a level-headed dude.

tsstoudt 09-20-2011 03:32 PM

Maybe I should keep my mouth shut, but as one PA Jeeper to another I think Imped is trying to tell you to crawl under and look at things, get an understanding of how the suspension works so you can make the decision as to what will work the best for you, my 2 cents now I'll be quiet.

jds79cj 09-20-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKABOB (Post 12198917)

Never said he didn't!

Heck he has over 12,000 post in 3.5 years that is 120 post a day and thatís if he is on here 7 days a week 365 days a year. I'm sure he has given some great advice in that time. If I lived on here 24/7 like that I am sure I would give some good advice eventually too. But some of us actually like going out and driving our jeeps not sitting on a forum insulting people and giving advice all day.

The time now is 09:05 PM.