I made a window holder out of a 2x6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I made a window holder out of a 2x6

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I made a window holder out of a 2x6

I decided to build something to hold the front windows in the jeep while the top is down, but didn't want to use straps. I cut a 2x6 to fit, then notched out groves for the little tie down things. I removed 2 brackets from the rear (not sure what they are for) and reused the bolts to hold down the 2x6. I had to drill out a good chunk of the 2x6 to fit the short bolts in. I then drilled some holes to hold the metal bars of the font windows. One hole needed to be nearly on top of my mounting bolt, but it still works fine. It holds them securely and blends in well so i am happy. I love when projects only take me a couple hours!

More pics here.

jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

That's a great mod. I'll have to do this when I get my half doors painted and mounted on my rig. Thanks for posting.
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #3
iMTB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That's nice, I just slot them behind the back seats but that looks much better.
iMTB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2008, 06:58 AM   #4
sportcoupe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That works because you don't have a rear seat. I al looking for a way to keep my rear seat (kids) and keep my door uppers off and with me with the top down.

Right now if my top is down the door uppers and side windows stay home since there's no place for them in the jeep.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2008, 07:01 AM   #5
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
That works because you don't have a rear seat. I al looking for a way to keep my rear seat (kids) and keep my door uppers off and with me with the top down.

Right now if my top is down the door uppers and side windows stay home since there's no place for them in the jeep.
Ummm....Judging by where that 2x6 is in the pics, you could do this with your back seat still in place.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2008, 08:18 AM   #6
RLD831
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I used to do that without the 2x6 when I had a back seat in and half doors. They fit fine.
Unread 06-02-2008, 10:00 AM   #7
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Ummm....Judging by where that 2x6 is in the pics, you could do this with your back seat still in place.
Right. I used to keep them behind the seat but needed something to hold them when the seat is out. The seat and windows still fit with the 2x6 in place, but the 2x6 is not needed if the seat is there because the seat holds the windows just fine. I do not plan on removing the 2x6 when the seats are in.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2008, 10:06 AM   #8
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

yeah I think this is a great idea for when the seat is out...when the seat is in I just stick the uppers between the back seat and the top and then roll the side windows up and put them under the uppers and the top behind the seat...if no one is in the back seat I even take the doors off and set them back there on the seat...Love having half doors!

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #9
sportcoupe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post

It seems way to tight on mine but it may be because the rear window is left in and rolled up when I lower my top.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.