I made a _____ for my TJ! (post your homemade Jeep stuff here) - Page 99 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I made a _____ for my TJ! (post your homemade Jeep stuff here)

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #1471
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I put the 5.25 inch speakers up front today. My driver's side front was already blown, and the pass front was sounding horrid, so I moved them and put some 6.5's in the back. I didn't want to spend any money though on mounts so....

I took the old speakers and cut them out of the brackets: Finished on the left, stock on the right.

I used a 3-point mount for the speakers.

Everything fit great.

I used a black&decker rotary tool to do all the cutting. I know it's not as strong as 33's setup, but it will work fine for me. One word of advice - drill slowly, I actually cut the second one completely in half on the skinny side by drilling into it too fast.

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF037AD
'03 TJ Sport, Black on White, Stock. [[Gone]]
'99 XJ, Purple, Stock but with new wheels.

Running Doorless? Check your state's Mirror Laws!!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/list-state-mirror-laws-565361/

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
Theodore Roosevelt
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #1472
AZG23

I did almost the same exact thing mounting the 5 1/4's up front...

Only I made them more like mounting tabs..bolted em to the speaker adn used the screw holes top n bottom.

Now I wanna mount a couple of tweeters to the tops of em..like the 7 speaker system has..

buy some cheap tweets and cap em...wire em inline...should be GTG..not superb quality...but good nuff for almost all stock and cheap in a Jeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1087 View Post
Well, I put the 5.25 inch speakers up front today. My driver's side front was already blown, and the pass front was sounding horrid, so I moved them and put some 6.5's in the back. I didn't want to spend any money though on mounts so....

I took the old speakers and cut them out of the brackets: Finished on the left, stock on the right.

I used a 3-point mount for the speakers.

Everything fit great.

I used a black&decker rotary tool to do all the cutting. I know it's not as strong as 33's setup, but it will work fine for me. One word of advice - drill slowly, I actually cut the second one completely in half on the skinny side by drilling into it too fast.

"If you cant understand that, your face needs to be set ablaze with kerosene and promptly put out with a wet brick."
AZG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2008, 08:58 AM   #1473
MattGATRTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I made a HD tie rod.

Here is the tie rod and the sleeve

First I cut the sleeve down to the same length as the tie rod. 34-1/2" I believe.

I notched the end so that the stock strap would fit snuggly in the end and I would still be able to tighten. This also made the OEM tie rod snug in the sleeve. I did this to both ends.

Next I marked a straight line from end to end of the sleeve and drilled holes every six inches.

I marked the tie rod through the holes and grinded the paint off. Then put the tie rod back into the sleeve, ready to weld. Welded the sleeve to the tie rod and fillled the holes. Then I cleaned the welds up.

Next I tacked the straps to the inner tierod.

Then prepped the bar for paint.

Last step is the paint.

And a few of it on the jeep.

Total cost: $0.00
MattGATRTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2008, 01:35 PM   #1474
bluox3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

nice cheap fix.... but done forget the tie rod ends are now a weaker link.get some spares to carry with you.
bluox3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2008, 01:56 PM   #1475
MattGATRTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I never leave home without spare parts
MattGATRTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2008, 08:32 PM   #1476
sfu7274456
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slafferty View Post
Im going to test it out on some trees this weekend to see how strong it is. I covered it with por15 which says it wont chip but i knicked it with my ratchet and it is already missing some paint.
Trick is with POR-15 is let it get a nice coat of surface rust before you paint it. Holds better than doing the acid wash thing.
sfu7274456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2008, 09:47 PM   #1477
02tjsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippert View Post
i think they only came in 98-99 models...
Up to from 99 to 02 (i believe) it was standard. However, in 2003, it was standard for the airbag to be turned on whenever a passenger was in the seat. No need for the airbag to deploy if the passenger is not in the seat so it turns off.
'02 TJ Sport - 3.5" RE Springs/Mono-tubes; BFG A/T 33x12.50x15 on ProComp Black Steelies; JKS: BPE's, 1.25" BL, shock conversion, front Adj. TB's, quick discos, Extended Brake lines; FT 3-link rear; JCR 1-ton Steering; Warn 6" Flares; Olympic Slider Bumpers; OME SS; Taurus Electric Fan; 4.88 Gears; D30/D44 Detroit True-Trac Front/Rear;
02tjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2008, 12:00 AM   #1478
GREASEMONKEY
2003 TJ Wrangler 

03-06 the switch was only available in vehicles without a rear seat as part of the standard package! Only a few 03-06 4banger sports without rear seating had the switch. The seating sensor for passengers was not utilized in the 03-06, and both bags deploy by default!

This is what the FSM says.
The passenger airbag on/off switch is standard equipment on all versions of this model that are equipped with the dual front airbag system, but are not equipped with a rear seat.
My Ammo Can Console
------------------------------------------------------
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
GREASEMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2008, 12:19 AM   #1479
ZeroG
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I made a flashlight holder for my bad *** flashlight i got for Christmas :thumbs up:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22507066@N04/3153203080

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2250706...n/photostream/
ZeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2008, 12:20 AM   #1480
lupien

Has anybody ever built windsheild light mounts? If so could you post some pics?

I was told that you could just mount the light directly to the windshield by removing one of the torx bolts from the hinge and screwing it back in with the light bracket. This does work for sure but now my lights point to far off the sides and I can`t rotate them. Kind of pointless to light up the ditches. So I was hoping to built some sort of mounting brackets instead of purchasing a KC light mount.

Thanks
( )_)( )_)-----)_)

--o-0-o00o--000-00o-000-00-0-0
lupien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2008, 12:20 AM   #1481
kolten493
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroG View Post
I made a flashlight holder for my bad *** flashlight i got for christmas

click free...or not
Unread 12-31-2008, 12:35 AM   #1482
ZeroG
2001 TJ Wrangler 

dunno how =(
Unread 12-31-2008, 12:37 AM   #1483
kolten493
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroG View Post
dunno how =(
nah i tried but the links didnt work, srry. maybe its your host? do you have a photobucket account? its free to make one if not
Unread 12-31-2008, 12:41 AM   #1484
ZeroG
2001 TJ Wrangler 

here we go..

Unread 12-31-2008, 07:12 AM   #1485
rmb2485
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupien View Post
Has anybody ever built windsheild light mounts? If so could you post some pics?

I was told that you could just mount the light directly to the windshield by removing one of the torx bolts from the hinge and screwing it back in with the light bracket. This does work for sure but now my lights point to far off the sides and I can`t rotate them. Kind of pointless to light up the ditches. So I was hoping to built some sort of mounting brackets instead of purchasing a KC light mount.

Thanks
I mounted mine the way you described. They do point slightly to the outside, but they don't leave a dark spot in the middle, so I left them that way. If they did leave a dark spot I planned to mount a piece of angle to the windshield the way the light is attached and then mount the light to it; that would give you adjustability both up and down and side to side.

rmb2485 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
home made , homemade , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.