I made a _____ for my TJ! (post your homemade Jeep stuff here) - Page 28 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I made a _____ for my TJ! (post your homemade Jeep stuff here)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-13-2008, 10:59 AM   #406
lupien

Quote:
Originally Posted by moprr71
I made this bumper with a rose bud and a vice.
http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/fil.../9/5/front.jpg
Hi,

What is a rose bud? I want to build one of those bumpers eventually. How did you bend the tubes? I`ve done some metal fabrication before but I`ve never bent metal without huge industrial benders from school. But for the do it yourself people, how do I bend tubing?

Thanks

( )_)( )_)-----)_)

--o-0-o00o--000-00o-000-00-0-0
lupien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 12:18 PM   #407
mustangtoby
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupien
Hi,

What is a rose bud? I want to build one of those bumpers eventually. How did you bend the tubes? I`ve done some metal fabrication before but I`ve never bent metal without huge industrial benders from school. But for the do it yourself people, how do I bend tubing?

Thanks
A rosebud is a special tip for a torch, so you can apply a $hitload of heat to pipe. You can heat up your tubing and bend it w/out a tubing bender, but it takes a lot of practice to do a mediocre job. Very hard to do and make it look nice, but it can be done. Better of to find a tubing bender, and I prefer to use heat (rosebud) with the tubing bender for best results.
mustangtoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 07:38 PM   #408
Rubi22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey Rubi22,

Just wondering how did you bend that peice of flat stock? Do you have someking of bender or do you just use a vice and bang it till it bends?

Thanks
Ha, not even. I don't have a vice, or even have the proper table to bend metal on. I actually lied it on the rear bumper of the TJ (I took the bumper end caps off) and used vice grips and mini-clamps to hold it tight, and took a hammer to the part that was hanging off of the bumper (measured carefully, of course).
Rubi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 08:43 PM   #409
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradG
Dude... how much you want for putting one of those in my jeep?
Ha! It only cost me around $100, the vinyl was the most expensive at $50. That and 2 days of measuring and trimming.
4.5" RE SF Lift, 1" BL, 35" Cooper Discoverer STT, Lockrite Locker, 8.8 Rear, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, Sliders, Skids, Bumpers, Rear Stinger, RockCrusher Diff Covers, 8000# Winch, Herc'd Tub, Homemade Deck Cover, On Board Misting System and Faucet
UTmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 09:51 PM   #410
bonofied suiter
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Tire Carrier Support Bracket and Pins

I was having too much flexing forward and back movement in my swing out tire carrier and some clanging and banging on rough roads. I fabricated some L shaped pins that pivoted off of Hiem joints attached to the rack and then made a support bracket that bolts into the OEM spare tire mount bolt holes in the rear door. I fabricated an aluminum bracket and mounted rubber bushings for the pins to ride in. This way I could tie the upper portion of the swing out tire carrier to the door which makes it much more solid.
dcp_4645.jpg
dcp_4655.jpg
dcp_4654.jpg

When I need access to the rear door, the pins pop out of the rubber bushings and pivot out of the way. I made the pins out of 5/16" bolts and they can be adjusted by screwing them in or out of the joints.
dcp_4653.jpg
dcp_4652.jpg
My 33" spare was still moving slightly on the support post for the tire so I made up a plastic coated cable with a turnbuckel that loops around a spoke of the spare tire and around the top of the hoop on the swing out tire carrier. Tightening the turnbuckle takes out the movement and won't mar the finish on the wheel. Now my swing out rear bumper which also holds two Gerry cans and my Handyman jack is rock solid and can still swing out of the way and back in only slightly more time than before. The pins stay on the tire carrier and pop back in after you swing the carrier back for travel.

JJ
bonofied suiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 10:10 PM   #411
kehoe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey Rubi22,

Just wondering how did you bend that peice of flat stock? Do you have someking of bender or do you just use a vice and bang it till it bends?

Thanks
I've made a similar mount by just putting it in a vice and hammering it down until it was bent 90* and it works great
kehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 10:19 PM   #412
chrisjep97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i cut the corners off my stock bumper with a saza and grinder, sanded it and painted it black. for 1 hour of work and 15 bucks it looks like a new bumper. (post pics later).
chrisjep97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2008, 10:30 AM   #413
BradG
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTmike
Ha! It only cost me around $100, the vinyl was the most expensive at $50. That and 2 days of measuring and trimming.
That's awesome. I think I found a spring break project.
2003 TJ X Silver | 31x10.50x15 BFG A/Ts | 10k front tow hooks, factory rear tow hook | 2" coil spacers | Cobra 19 with RatShack 102" stainless whip on an Arizona RockyRoad tire carrier mount | Kilby Steering Box Skid | AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders | Olympic Slider Rear Bumper w Receiver | Skid Row Engine/Oil/Tranny skid (still sitting in my living room)
BradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2008, 02:06 PM   #414
jboy416
Wrangler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

new leather shift boot

well i bought my jeep with a lift already in it with a TC drop in it. so second and reverse we rediculous. the rubber shift boot would bind up and make it near impossible to get it into those gears....real annoying. so i made one outta leather. cost me like $10. and i have enough leather left over that if i need to i can make like 5 more.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44...t/IMG_2377.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44...t/IMG_2376.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44...t/IMG_2378.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44...t/IMG_2380.jpg
jboy416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #415
Okiiashi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboy416
well i bought my jeep with a lift already in it with a TC drop in it. so second and reverse we rediculous. the rubber shift boot would bind up and make it near impossible to get it into those gears....real annoying. so i made one outta leather. cost me like $10. and i have enough leather left over that if i need to i can make like 5 more.

clicky-free

looks decent. I would of dressed it up with some piping IMHO
()_) ()_)---)_)RED JEEP #446
“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there” - Will Rogers
Okiiashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #416
jake7893

I want to make seat risers for my Jeep, but I'm 6'5''. I'm just worried that my head will be rubbing on the top or my legs will be hitting the steering wheel (I know it tilts) Whats the advantage of putting seat risers in? Just seeing over the hood better?

ALL RESPONSES BY THIS USER ARE KNOWN TO CAUSE CANCER (ONLY BY THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA)

WARNING**
jake7893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2008, 03:15 PM   #417
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake7893
I want to make seat risers for my Jeep, but I'm 6'5''. I'm just worried that my head will be rubbing on the top or my legs will be hitting the steering wheel (I know it tilts) Whats the advantage of putting seat risers in? Just seeing over the hood better?
around '00 or '02 the seat brackets or floor was changed and they sit lower and in previous years. most people that do the risers are in the newer years. but you being 6'5"...i don't think they'd be of much use to you. (gotta bend over to see lights at intersections also)
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2008, 03:22 PM   #418
jake7893

Thanks for the info. I'll just leave my seats then. I will post up pics of my home made trailer hitch a little later.

ALL RESPONSES BY THIS USER ARE KNOWN TO CAUSE CANCER (ONLY BY THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA)

WARNING**
jake7893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2008, 04:50 PM   #419
Unscathed
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone have plans to do a rear storage area like the olympic one, or close to it and keeping the back seat in?

The owner of Alljeep.com, Wayne Hartwig will work within your budget!!! He is very informative to anyone not knowing much about axle work and will meet or beat any competitor's advertised price on any specific product delivered to your door - even if he sells at cost!
Unscathed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2008, 05:31 PM   #420
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake7893
DAMN 6'5" and you want to make seat risers Just enjoy your extra 7.5" you got on me and admire my pretty ones

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/seat-spacers-503513/
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
home made , homemade , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.