I made a _____ for my TJ! (post your homemade Jeep stuff here) - Page 234 - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #3496 of 3576 Old 09-02-2014, 09:53 PM
skydiver30960
nOob for life

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Not nearly classy as some of the other stuff posted here recently, but...

I found out that Arizona doesn't require side mirrors, unless the the body of the vehicle blocks the driver's view to the rear, which in my always-doorless-always-topless TJ is obviously not an issue. That said, I still want to be able to check those blind spots, so... I'm sure it's been done before but...

$3 for a stick-on parabolic "blind spot" mirror, some plumber's strapping I had in the toolbox, and about 5 minutes of whittling on the mirror's back with a utility knife and I had me a great driver's blind spot checker. The strapping is passed through the back of the mirror and is bolted into the Torx bolts above and below the mirror, so no need to trust the flimsy adhesive that came with the mirror...

Bye-bye huge, ugly, speed-brake TJ mirrors...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I will NOT calm down! Machine guns affect my ability to perform and I do NOT like that! -- Ricardo Tubbs

I play bagpipes to silence the voices in my head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3497 of 3576 Old 09-03-2014, 05:58 AM
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Made some door hanger brackets (total cost $2.50 for washers and lags)

I got some 1" angle iron (for free) and welded them into a box, cut everything up, my brother-in-law had some old wrist pins laying around so we welded them together, cut them in in half and welded a washer to the top for the hinge pins.
Welded everything together

and came up with this

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using my thumb
post #3498 of 3576 Old 09-03-2014, 06:05 AM
HaskiE
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwch99tj View Post
Made some door hanger brackets (total cost $2.50 for washers and lags)

I got some 1" angle iron (for free) and welded them into a box, cut everything up, my brother-in-law had some old wrist pins laying around so we welded them together, cut them in in half and welded a washer to the top for the hinge pins.
Welded everything together

and came up with this

so are you going to mount latches to the wall too? then you could make a cubby for cool stuff behind Door#1 or Door#2 haha

1992 YJ 1"Body Lift, Slip Yoke Eliminator & CV Driveshaft,
2.5" TJ exhaust, WJ valve cover, XJ Computer, External Slave Cyl AX15,
Durango Steeringbox, No track or sway bars, CJ tailgate, on 31's :)
#theneverendingaxe

post #3499 of 3576 Old 09-03-2014, 07:07 AM
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskiE View Post

so are you going to mount latches to the wall too? then you could make a cubby for cool stuff behind Door#1 or Door#2 haha
A latch is possible just to keep the kids from swinging the doors around and beating them up... but no hidden compartments

post #3500 of 3576 Old 09-04-2014, 07:54 PM
SuzanneBeMe
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Passenger side dash and center overhead

I'm a pilot but don't get to fly very often any more, so...

2 Aircraft voltmeters to monitor and control dual battery system.

2-1/4 inch round aircraft instruments include
  • 24 hour 8-Day aircraft wind-up clock (My son Chris says he can hear it ticking but I can't!)
  • Altimeter (Nearly maxed it out at 9,943 feet on Tioga Pass enroute to Yosemite!)
  • Vertical Speed Indicator (Only really good for that ONE “Thelma and Louise” cliff jump!)
  • Accelerometer (Resettable “Bump” meter)

Aircraft switches run:
  • Compressor
  • Winch
  • Jumper system (Warn, front and rear)
  • Aircraft 2 way radio
  • Whelen 100W Siren and PA
  • CB
  • CO Detector
  • USB Charger
  • PA microphone
  • Power Posts

Top, center mounted panel mounted under windshield header just above rear view mirror. The box they are mounted in is a $5.00 hobby box from Radio Shack.
  • Aircraft Chronometer with dual time zones, "flight" time and elapsed time
  • Aircraft Outside Air temp switchable F/C (Was in the Mojave Desert on 4th of July when photo taken 109 degrees!)
Attached Images

Last edited by SuzanneBeMe; 09-10-2014 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Added Text
post #3501 of 3576 Old 09-04-2014, 08:05 PM
Bier_bitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneBeMe
Where's the whiskey compass?!?
post #3502 of 3576 Old 09-04-2014, 08:36 PM
SuzanneBeMe
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bier_bitte View Post
Where's the whiskey compass?!?
There is an aircraft compass to the left of the chronometer, out of the picture!

Last edited by SuzanneBeMe; 09-04-2014 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #3503 of 3576 Old 09-06-2014, 01:55 AM
jgezelin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneBeMe
I'm a pilot but don't get to fly very often any more, so... 2 Aircraft voltmeters to monitor and control dual battery system. 2-1/4 inch round aircraft instruments include[*]24 hour 8-Day clock[*]Altimeter (Have been to 9,943 feet on Tioga Pass enroute to Yosemite!)[*]Vertical Speed Indicator (Only really good for that ONE “Thelma and Louise” cliff jump!)[*]Accelerometer (“Bump” meter) Aircraft switches run:[*]Compressor[*]Winch[*]Jumper system (Warn, front and rear)[*]Aircraft 2 way radio[*]Whelen 100W Siren and PA[*]CB[*]CO Detector[*]USB Charger[*]PA microphone[*]Power Posts Top, center mounted panel mounted under windshield header just above rear view mirror. The box they are mounted in is a $5.00 hobby box from Radio Shack.[*]Aircraft Chronometer with dual time zones, "flight" time and elapsed time[*]Aircraft Outside Air temp switchable F/C (Was in the Mojave Desert on 4th of July when photo taken 109 degrees!)
Actually one of the coolest things I've seen. Can you post a picture of the whole interior
post #3504 of 3576 Old 09-06-2014, 11:12 AM
SuzanneBeMe
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Here you go!

As requested, pics aren't great though...

On the top are 2 flat switch panels which are programmable and as thin as a credit card. (one hides behind the visor and operates my "illegal" lights). The flat switch panels were made by Wired HDH (out of business now sadly). Also an aircraft compass and the chrono/OAT box.

The bottom shows the passenger dash panel. After removing the airbag (i know, i know!) I planned out and had fabricated the dash panel which was CAD cut from stainless. I painted it and it looked nice for a while but I think I am going to have it powder coated.

I added a modified dash bezel which mounts just like it does on the drivers side (for RHD versions). The aircraft instruments are all standard 2-1/4 inch. Each is mounted in a 30 degree angled bezel which make them easily readable from the drivers seat.

The dual battery system is made by Hellroaring Technologies (http://www.hellroaring.com) in Montana and works great! There are 3 settings (switch to the left of the 2 voltmeters) ONE is running and charging main battery only, TWO is running from main only but charging both main and backup, THREE is running and charging both (for when using the winch, jumping another vehicle, or ALL of my lights at once!)

If I run the main battery down, I just switch to position THREE and can then start the Jeep. This has saved my butt SO many times!

Above is the compressor tank gauge. Also, a Fusion Marine stereo (UV and water resistant) with internal iPod dock (http://www.imarineusa.com/fusionms-i...emforipod.aspx) , a Cobra CB and the Whelen siren/PA controller. The red button on the passenger dash is an auxiliary siren control. One mic is for the CB, the other for the 100W PA, it is loud!

I am thinking about switching out the Fusion Marine stereo and Garmin GPS for the new Insane Audio made-for-the-Jeep-TJ radio with integrated GPS and bluetooth (http://www.insanejeepaudio.com/IA_Features.html). The only thing is, it's over $1,000.00!! But it sure is nice!
Attached Images

Last edited by SuzanneBeMe; 09-06-2014 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Added Flat Switch Panel photo
post #3505 of 3576 Old 09-06-2014, 12:42 PM
NORCALROOTS
1997 TJ Wrangler 

After moving my stereo to the center console, I used the stereo blank to install a switch panel made from red oak and used "gunstock" stain. I based my measurements off of the old stereo's bracket.

I used 12voltguy.com and otrattw.com switches.
Attached Images

"For all their faults and all nations have them, the US are a force for good; they have liberal and democratic traditions of which any nation can be proud. I sometimes think it is a good rule of thumb to ask of a country: are people trying to get into it or out of it? It's not a bad guide to what sort of country it is." Tony Blair
post #3506 of 3576 Old 09-08-2014, 09:13 AM
rusty762
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneBeMe View Post

2 Aircraft voltmeters to monitor and control dual battery system.

2-1/4 inch round aircraft instruments include
  • 24 hour 8-Day clock
  • Altimeter (Have been to 9,943 feet on Tioga Pass enroute to Yosemite!)
  • Vertical Speed Indicator (Only really good for that ONE “Thelma and Louise” cliff jump!)
  • Accelerometer (“Bump” meter)

Aircraft switches run:
  • Compressor
  • Winch
  • Jumper system (Warn, front and rear)
  • Aircraft 2 way radio
  • Whelen 100W Siren and PA
  • CB
  • CO Detector
  • USB Charger
  • PA microphone
  • Power Posts

Top, center mounted panel mounted under windshield header just above rear view mirror. The box they are mounted in is a $5.00 hobby box from Radio Shack.
  • Aircraft Chronometer with dual time zones, "flight" time and elapsed time
  • Aircraft Outside Air temp switchable F/C (Was in the Mojave Desert on 4th of July when photo taken 109 degrees!)
Thats a really slick setup

Rusty

“If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend six sharpening my axe.”- Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
post #3507 of 3576 Old 09-08-2014, 08:13 PM
686keydragon
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Made some adjustable hood latches for less than $5. Just used some turnbuckles for tightening cables.

Name:  image-4270166713.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  312.7 KB
post #3508 of 3576 Old 09-26-2014, 02:30 PM
nicksdsm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 686keydragon View Post
Made some adjustable hood latches for less than $5. Just used some turnbuckles for tightening cables.

Attachment 1594498
How long are the turnbuckles? Did you use hooks or eyes to connect to the pins?
post #3509 of 3576 Old 09-28-2014, 08:35 AM
686keydragon
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksdsm
How long are the turnbuckles? Did you use hooks or eyes to connect to the pins?
Honestly I'm not sure on the length, I just grabbed the shortest ones they had. I had to trim the screws a bit to be able to tighten them enough. I used the eye style. I brought a pin in to ensure I got the right size eye.
post #3510 of 3576 Old 09-28-2014, 02:47 PM
Snowplow

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Made a new Transfer Case shifter after my Front drive shaft took out my T-Case and all related shifter parts.
Attached Images

Tags
home made , homemade , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.