I've only got a 2.5" lift so I don't really need them, but my dad is a bit shorter than I and I thought it would be neat to have a pair of grab handles anyway. In fact, now that I have them I have already used the one on my side too! I didn't like the idea of paying what they cost though, so I worked out how they should look and got the materials for them the other day.
Bought the widest webbing and velcro I could find - almost 4" - which may have been overkill, but I think they ended up really well; way, way better than I expected, in fact. I wasn't sure how thick the handles should be, but I had 1" reinforced hose lying around from when I had bought the wrong thickness for my homemade antenna-storing gadget, so I decided to use it and it worked out just right. Reinforced hose also wouldn't fold in your hands, even when it's been in the hot cabin all day long.
I cut two short lengths of the hose and cut both ends at a bit of a sloping angle so that the lower ends in the final product wouldn't look too blunt.
I knew what I wanted them to look like, but I can't sew, so my mom did the sewing on my behalf, according to my instructions. I would really like to learn how to sew though...
Here are the two straps with the handle between them. The straps are about 15 3/4" long - long enough to go around the padded roll-bar twice. The hose was too thick for the tubes in which it had to go to be sewn by machine, so my mom stitched them by hand around the two lengths of hose.
I cut lengths of velcro just
shorter than half the length of the straps and then we sewed the hook side to the one half of the strap and the loop side to the other half on the opposite side. The empty ends of the tubes with the hose in them were also sewn in between the loop side of velcro and the webbing. Hope that makes sense!
The finished product:
Being tried out by my dad:
You may not have to use such wide webbing, but I really like how they've turned out. They even fit exactly onto the padding between the bolt holes for the door surrounds!
It doesn't make much sense to post a break-down of my costs here, but I used about 94" of webbing, less than a yard of velcro, and two short lengths of hose. You can measure them yourself according to your hand size. Total cost would've been less than $7 in US currency.