I made a _____ for my TJ! (post your homemade Jeep stuff here) - Page 140 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I made a _____ for my TJ! (post your homemade Jeep stuff here)

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 09-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #2086
prd_cdn
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMuddotcom View Post
Hey guys,

Nothing much fabricated, just rigged up stuff. But I thought I'd still show what I've done.

First is a YJ bikini top on a TJ. I used two boat straps to secure the rear of the top, lashed them around the ends of my cargo rack. I also put the center strap, that is supposed to go to the windshield, to the rear break light. I did not pull that one too tight to avoid potential damage to the light, the side straps did that well enough. Wrapped the velcro around the door surrounds. There were a few gaps where rain could get it, but only with heavy downpours while parked. All you need is the front channel add on bar to accommodate the top.

I ran this setup all summer and even made a drive from Chicago to New England and back, over 2500 miles, and never had a problem while driving.

Cost = free (hand-me-down from brother's long since sold YJ)

The other was my side view mirror when the doors are off. I used to work around rowing boats so I had access so some small parts. This is the foot of an aluminum out rigger, various nuts and bolts, some hard plastic backing, a mirror from an auto store, and a few screws. Yes it is a hack job, but it's very light, no tools needed, virtually unbreakable, and easy to put on.

Cost = $6 for the mirror, everything else was salvaged from an old tool box.

looks good !! just resize next time to say maybe 600 x 600 or so..

prd_cdn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 07:17 PM   #2087
ZIMM18
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Those even almost stopped my 3G network......hope no one has dial up
Unread 09-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #2088
TJJEEPER
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIMM18 View Post
Those even almost stopped my 3G network......hope no one has dial up
I do!

97 TJ, 4.0, 5sp, OME Susp., 1 3/4 coil spacers, 1" BL, 35" Xterrains, Dynatrac Trail 60 with ARB, D30F, 4.56's, LockRite F, Discs F&R, K&N, Borla Header, Flowmaster Super 44 Off-Road Muffler, Front LineLock, Diehard Platinum P-1...

06 Commander
TJJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2009, 08:41 AM   #2089
MUDY-TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Gee , those pics are so small I can hardly see them
MUDY-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #2090
JeepMuddotcom
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prd_cdn View Post
looks good !! just resize next time to say maybe 600 x 600 or so..
Well that's why I hyperlinked them and did not post them as images on the page. Not sure why that happened.
JeepMuddotcom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #2091
Squint77

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just made a storage truck for my LJ...

Squint77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2009, 11:56 PM   #2092
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wow, I have the exact same thing built for the back of my LJ. I just have a few extra tie downs. Works great!

Quote:
Does your gas tank overflow at the pump?
SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE!

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

1976 CJ-7 - 33" Super Swampers - BDS 4" Suspension - 6 Point Roll Cage
Mud Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #2093
Hickman03
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Got mine yesterday went to the Harley shop and got them for 20 bucks
Hickman03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2009, 06:27 PM   #2094
stadleroux
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Grab handles!

I've only got a 2.5" lift so I don't really need them, but my dad is a bit shorter than I and I thought it would be neat to have a pair of grab handles anyway. In fact, now that I have them I have already used the one on my side too! I didn't like the idea of paying what they cost though, so I worked out how they should look and got the materials for them the other day.

Bought the widest webbing and velcro I could find - almost 4" - which may have been overkill, but I think they ended up really well; way, way better than I expected, in fact. I wasn't sure how thick the handles should be, but I had 1" reinforced hose lying around from when I had bought the wrong thickness for my homemade antenna-storing gadget, so I decided to use it and it worked out just right. Reinforced hose also wouldn't fold in your hands, even when it's been in the hot cabin all day long.

I cut two short lengths of the hose and cut both ends at a bit of a sloping angle so that the lower ends in the final product wouldn't look too blunt.

I knew what I wanted them to look like, but I can't sew, so my mom did the sewing on my behalf, according to my instructions. I would really like to learn how to sew though...

Here are the two straps with the handle between them. The straps are about 15 3/4" long - long enough to go around the padded roll-bar twice. The hose was too thick for the tubes in which it had to go to be sewn by machine, so my mom stitched them by hand around the two lengths of hose.

I cut lengths of velcro just shorter than half the length of the straps and then we sewed the hook side to the one half of the strap and the loop side to the other half on the opposite side. The empty ends of the tubes with the hose in them were also sewn in between the loop side of velcro and the webbing. Hope that makes sense!

The finished product:

Being tried out by my dad:

You may not have to use such wide webbing, but I really like how they've turned out. They even fit exactly onto the padding between the bolt holes for the door surrounds!

It doesn't make much sense to post a break-down of my costs here, but I used about 94" of webbing, less than a yard of velcro, and two short lengths of hose. You can measure them yourself according to your hand size. Total cost would've been less than $7 in US currency.

Last edited by stadleroux; 10-04-2009 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: Correcting a miscalculation in length of webbing used
stadleroux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2009, 06:42 PM   #2095
drummerchukb1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadleroux View Post
Total cost would've been less than $7 in US currency.
Off topic, but what kind of seat covers are those, do you like them? water proof?
drummerchukb1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #2096
stadleroux
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerchukb1 View Post
Off topic, but what kind of seat covers are those, do you like them? water proof?
I don't think they're water proof, because it's just some kind of woven canvas-type fabric, but they are water resistant and certainly keep stains off the OEM upholstery. Several places here sell them and they're cheap, but now I can't remember the exact name. Think it's something Stingray...

For the price of the custom-made stuff we get here you could probably have your seats reupholstered and when I take these off my seats still look like new, so I like them!
Unread 10-05-2009, 09:22 AM   #2097
zukibud600
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerchukb1 View Post

Wal-Mart sells them. My brother-in-law has a set of them in his YJ.
zukibud600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #2098
stadleroux
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukibud600 View Post
Wal-Mart sells them. My brother-in-law has a set of them in his YJ.
And here they're called Stingray Explorer seat covers, the "rugged," 4x4 model in Stingray's range: Front seats. Available, if you're lucky, in three colour combinations: black & grey, black & blue, and green & tan. They are indeed only specified as water resistant and since they're universal you lose access to the little loop - in my case - at shoulder height on the side of the seat back with which you can tilt the back forward. Fortunately a TJ has two other access points to the tilt mechanism!

They are cheap though; just over $40 at the current exchange rate.
Unread 10-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #2099
Austinb86
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Here is my custom shifter I made. I bought a the handle of ebay. Then I ran a tap in it match the threads of the shifter and I reinforced with a helicoil

Austinb86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 06:17 PM   #2100
TJJEEPER
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinb86 View Post
Here is my custom shifter I made. I bought a the handle of ebay. Then I ran a tap in it match the threads of the shifter and I reinforced with a helicoil

Let's try this:

Cool Shifter
97 TJ, 4.0, 5sp, OME Susp., 1 3/4 coil spacers, 1" BL, 35" Xterrains, Dynatrac Trail 60 with ARB, D30F, 4.56's, LockRite F, Discs F&R, K&N, Borla Header, Flowmaster Super 44 Off-Road Muffler, Front LineLock, Diehard Platinum P-1...

06 Commander
TJJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
home made , homemade , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.