I made a _____ for my TJ! (post your homemade Jeep stuff here) - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I made a _____ for my TJ! (post your homemade Jeep stuff here)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-30-2007, 07:43 AM   #196
sardog12
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkeep
If they know anything about jeeps, they will put it in 4LO to start it and then put it back into high range and drive away. Clutch safety is disabled in low range.
Didn't know that. Thanks, it is good to know.

Unread 05-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #197
PackMan

Location: Home of the Super Bowl XLI Champion Indianapolis Colts
Made some fog light brackets for my Jeeperman bumper with light hoop. With the light hoop, the factory fogs could not be mounted on the bumper where they belong. The light hoop is for off-road / driving lights, fogs need to be mounted low.

I spent $4 at the hardware store and bought a 3/16" steel repair strap. It was about 8" long, 1" wide, and had a few pre-drilled holes in them.

I cut about 3" off each end, and rough sanded the cut ends. They would be hidden, so I didn't bother making them look pretty. I had to drill out the hole that would mount to the bumper. I then rattle-canned them black, and used a longer grade 8 bolt for the mount from the light hoop to the winchplate on the bumper. The ends stuck out, almost flush with the top of the bumper. I then mounted my fog lights.

PackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2007, 04:19 PM   #198
stogie25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I built panels that bolt on where my winter flares go. They really clean up the line of the unflared Jeep, and offer a little protection as well.

I welded a couple of tabs onto my lightbar and attached my CB antenna on a swivel so it lays horizontal when I am not using it, and stands verticle when in use.

I modded my winch plate to accomodate my free flatbed wrecker winch.

summer06_3.jpg

I also built a misting system to cool me off in summer. I use my Jerry can as a water source, a RV pump, and patio misters mounted to my Olympic rack.

misting-4.jpg
97 Black TJ (one owner), BFG KM2 35s, 4.7L Stroker, ARB's, Dana60 rear, Dana30HP Front Warn manual hub conversion, 6 inch mostly Tera long arm lift. Rhino lined tub. Allied Rock 8 beadlocks. Tera-Low 4:1. Sanden OBA. Sniperfab tube fenders.

My Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m.../#post12717920
stogie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #199
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've made a GPS/iPod mount, an Instatrunk (sort of), and some HiLift mounts.

The GPS/iPod mount is ABS plastic left over from a costuming project that I cut to shape, and formed with a heat gun. It's attached to the bezel with a simple nut and bolt.

and

The Instatrunk (sort of) is 16 guage steel that I got from a local sheet metal place. It slides under the seat belt brackets and is held in place by the rear seat. I added a strip of aluminum angle to add some rigidity. If I had to do it again, I'd probably have the sheet metal place just add a rear lip for that needed rigidity.

Here are the HiLift Mounts, not my design, something I read about here. They are shaft collars from the local Grainger drilled and tapped to accept the threaded rod.

FWIW,
Adam
'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors

Last edited by Faramir66103; 05-09-2007 at 05:28 PM..
Faramir66103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 06:59 PM   #200
R. Potts
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir66103
Nice work on everything, but I really like the Hi Lift mounts.
Unread 05-16-2007, 04:34 PM   #201
frankiejr

Finally got around to painting my headlight trim black.

I've really been wanting to do this for a while. Now that I know I really like the way it looks, I'm going to buy some black trim since it's only $20 and isn't painted (black plastic, dings won't affect them). Then I'll put aside my old painted ones for when I Herculiner the tub.

.frankiejr

p.s. I was finally able to bump this thread back. Yeehaw!
frankiejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #202
TJ on the Rocks

Faramir66103 ,

Simple , yet very effective job with the High Lift mount .
That's probably strongest version of the sport-bar mount I've seen .

Good thinking !

I'm going to copy that .
[SIZE="4"][/URL][/B][COLOR="Red"][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.stickylee.com/catalog/index.php"]www.stickylee.com[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/CENTER][/SIZE]
TJ on the Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 07:57 PM   #203
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the kind words folks! I really wish I'd taken down who it was who came up with that HiLift mount idea. I've had a lot of great comments on it, and would like to give credit where it's obviously due. For now let's chalk it up to "really cool JeepForum member"!

Adam
'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors
Unread 05-17-2007, 01:38 PM   #204
Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir66103
Thanks for all the kind words folks! I really wish I'd taken down who it was who came up with that HiLift mount idea. I've had a lot of great comments on it, and would like to give credit where it's obviously due. For now let's chalk it up to "really cool JeepForum member"!

Adam
What size are the shaft collars?
Blue Jeep Club Member #58
Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2007, 09:42 PM   #205
rdhclark
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I like the idea of mounting your jack like that, but is it possible to mount it so that you can still put the soft top down?
rdhclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2007, 12:49 AM   #206
blkhwk20k
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorty
this looks like a nuclear device
Unread 05-27-2007, 02:21 AM   #207
KnightFire
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorty
homemade front skid plate with some Hella Micro Fog / HID-driving lights:

Thorty
That's AWESOME! It looks nearly identical to the Tomb Raider movie Jeep's skid plate:

http://www.difflock.com/buyersguide/...er/index.shtml

I'd definitely be inclined to buy one...
2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport Titanium Metallic 4.7L 4x4
KnightFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2007, 10:07 AM   #208
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot
What size are the shaft collars?
That's a good question. I'm not sure, other than I bought the ones that had an internal diameter that was equal to the external diameter of the sport bars. I didn't measure them myself since I don't have calipers that large, but someone on the original thread posted the proper dimension. I'll see what I can find.

EDIT: I checked and the shaft collars are stamped "2 1/4" which I believe means two and a quarter inches inside diameter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhclark
I like the idea of mounting your jack like that, but is it possible to mount it so that you can still put the soft top down?
Yes, the soft top still goes down, just not quite as far. It rides about 3" or so higher and I have to be a little more careful when tucking all that material in around the jack than I otherwise would have to be. The next time the soft top goes on, the lift mounts will be re-positioned lower as well. There's more room there than one would think.

FWIW,
Adam

Last edited by Faramir66103; 05-27-2007 at 07:05 PM..
Unread 05-27-2007, 10:32 AM   #209
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

This is really simple, but most people don't think of it. Went to hardware store and got 2 pin-tab lock bolts for the Hi-Lift jack. One for the handle, one for the base. I had to drill the handle...so it was 2 minutes of work . Comes apart in seconds.

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2007, 11:27 AM   #210
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

i dont understand point of starter or clutch disable, havent you ppl ever heard of push starting? if you want to disable something make it the fuel system

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
home made , homemade , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.