I made a _____ for my TJ! (post your homemade Jeep stuff here) - Page 139 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I made a _____ for my TJ! (post your homemade Jeep stuff here)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Reply
Unread 09-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #2071
PurpleTJ
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Okemos, Michigan
Posts: 1,814
looks excellent fishguy

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDustMan View Post
I took a poo once, and when I stood up, there was nothing in the toilet. I was positively terrified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.
Purple Jeep Club member #8

My Purple People Eater Build
PurpleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #2072
gcfishguy
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 226
I've been reading about people that did a bunch of fab work and installed a touch sensitive double DIN screen in their dash and then built a custom case and shoehorned a motherboard and everything into it and they made a carputer.
I saw another post where a guy did a similar thing in his TJ and called it the jeeputer.

I wanted to do something similar but don't have the skills required to do all that detail work and building, not to mention the cost of a touch screen and another computer.

I'm a GPS nut, and I geocache and keep the maps of the trails my club runs, plus waypoints of any cool places I find, etc etc. I have a GSPMap60CSx, and a windshield mount, but the screen is way too small for road navigation, or for following trails on topo maps.

So...I needed:
a big screen
GPS capability for street and topo maps
something I could load full of tunes and use an FM transmitter with
bluetooth would also be cool..
maybe even something to get online with if there was a hotspot close by

.......and it's got to be free.

So, I hit CTRL-ALT-DOWN and mounted my netbook upside down.

Okay, now that you're done laughing....


I have a small wireless mouse that I can use on my leg or the top of the center console, I put iTunes, Garmin nRoute and the On-Screen-Keyboard in the start up folder so they launch at startup.

Now, it will not be in there for daily use...only on the days that the entire day is dedicated to jeeping.

No, it will never be used, or even open when I'm on the 'road'.

It's quite different than an actual 'carputer', which becomes part of the car. This will suit my purpose nicely, and is removable in a few seconds to bring it inside to keep it safe. Since we all know what an impenetrable fortress a Jeep TJ is..

Garmin nRoute uses topo or CityNav 2009 maps, and does all sorts of fancy routing stuff, etc etc. But, the only thing I'll really be using it for will be to have the topo map open, and see where I/we are on the map in real time, and to have a glance up now and again to see if the trail is taking me past any geocaches.

My 300w inverter will sit on top of the overhead console, at the back, and my CB will be moved to sit at the rear of the console, facing forward.

I still have to tweak the mounting system a bit.

Chances are I'll come to my senses, and scrap this idea, but you never know.

Wired! 1

Wired! 2

Click-free, please!
gcfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 02:15 PM   #2073
PurpleTJ
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Okemos, Michigan
Posts: 1,814
i cant figure out how to click free that, but it looks both awesome and ridiculous at the same time! its pretty cool though
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDustMan View Post
I took a poo once, and when I stood up, there was nothing in the toilet. I was positively terrified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.
Purple Jeep Club member #8

My Purple People Eater Build
PurpleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #2074
Yesfan70
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the South Side of the Sky
Posts: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcfishguy View Post
I've been reading about people that did a bunch of fab work and installed a touch sensitive double DIN screen in their dash and then built a custom case and shoehorned a motherboard and everything into it and they made a carputer.
I saw another post where a guy did a similar thing in his TJ and called it the jeeputer.

I wanted to do something similar but don't have the skills required to do all that detail work and building, not to mention the cost of a touch screen and another computer.

I'm a GPS nut, and I geocache and keep the maps of the trails my club runs, plus waypoints of any cool places I find, etc etc. I have a GSPMap60CSx, and a windshield mount, but the screen is way too small for road navigation, or for following trails on topo maps.

So...I needed:
a big screen
GPS capability for street and topo maps
something I could load full of tunes and use an FM transmitter with
bluetooth would also be cool..
maybe even something to get online with if there was a hotspot close by

.......and it's got to be free.

So, I hit CTRL-ALT-DOWN and mounted my netbook upside down.

Okay, now that you're done laughing....


I have a small wireless mouse that I can use on my leg or the top of the center console, I put iTunes, Garmin nRoute and the On-Screen-Keyboard in the start up folder so they launch at startup.

Now, it will not be in there for daily use...only on the days that the entire day is dedicated to jeeping.

No, it will never be used, or even open when I'm on the 'road'.

It's quite different than an actual 'carputer', which becomes part of the car. This will suit my purpose nicely, and is removable in a few seconds to bring it inside to keep it safe. Since we all know what an impenetrable fortress a Jeep TJ is..

Garmin nRoute uses topo or CityNav 2009 maps, and does all sorts of fancy routing stuff, etc etc. But, the only thing I'll really be using it for will be to have the topo map open, and see where I/we are on the map in real time, and to have a glance up now and again to see if the trail is taking me past any geocaches.

My 300w inverter will sit on top of the overhead console, at the back, and my CB will be moved to sit at the rear of the console, facing forward.

I still have to tweak the mounting system a bit.

Chances are I'll come to my senses, and scrap this idea, but you never know.




Click-free, please!


Declickified for ya.
__________________
Blue Jeep Club Member #193

My Jeep Pics

I live. I wheel. I am. Jeep

Last edited by Yesfan70; 09-04-2009 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: fixed the pics
Yesfan70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #2075
Neoxxis
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ste-Therese, Qc
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcfishguy View Post
Nice!
I do the same with my netbook in my JK but I made a bracket to fit on top on the center console...

That is version 1...
I made a second that allows me to reach the switches I have under the bracket...



I like the idea of the upside-down position...

Did you try Google Earth on the netbook? (combined with Earth Bridge)
It's real nice, you can see where you are on the satellite images so what you see is what you get!
It got us out of the woods more than once!
You just need a proper screen with minimum 768 pixels vertical...
My Dell Mini-10 has a 1366 x 768 screen (HD screen option).

10-4.
__________________
07 Unlimited Rubi Rescue Green/Auto/pwr
5" Frankenlift/35" Duratracs/5.13/Spidertrax 1.5"/Tailgate shock/Orbit Remote Start/Smittybilt XRC8/Hella Black Magic/Etc etc

Last edited by Neoxxis; 07-16-2011 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: Fixed pics
Neoxxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 09:11 AM   #2076
Fire_girl
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: virginia
Posts: 20
Upside down netbook...that's pretty ninja!
Fire_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #2077
drummerchukb1
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: charlotte
Posts: 262
i looked for a pick up truck style bed mat but couldnt find one... they were all plastic and or had little pointy things on the bottum to grip the carpet. I dont have carpet. So i got on craigslist and found a guy with a used one for $10. I measured the tub (aproximatly 36 inches wide and 35.5 inches long, cargo area) and cut it with a utility knife. i saved $700 over a bed liner! It came out great, looking OEM, not to brag. I would post a pic but i would guess most of yall dont care, plus i dont have a photo bucket account
drummerchukb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 12:07 AM   #2078
D3f4ult
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: GA, Augusta
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerchukb1 View Post
i looked for a pick up truck style bed mat but couldnt find one... they were all plastic and or had little pointy things on the bottum to grip the carpet. I dont have carpet. So i got on craigslist and found a guy with a used one for $10. I measured the tub (aproximatly 36 inches wide and 35.5 inches long, cargo area) and cut it with a utility knife. i saved $700 over a bed liner! It came out great, looking OEM, not to brag. I would post a pic but i would guess most of yall dont care, plus i dont have a photo bucket account

I would actually like to see that.
D3f4ult is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #2079
Neoxxis
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ste-Therese, Qc
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerchukb1 View Post
i looked for a pick up truck style bed mat but couldnt find one... they were all plastic and or had little pointy things on the bottum to grip the carpet. I dont have carpet. So i got on craigslist and found a guy with a used one for $10. I measured the tub (aproximatly 36 inches wide and 35.5 inches long, cargo area) and cut it with a utility knife. i saved $700 over a bed liner! It came out great, looking OEM, not to brag. I would post a pic but i would guess most of yall dont care, plus i dont have a photo bucket account
Yeah I'd like to see that too.

And no need for a Photobucket or whatever account, just use tinypic.com...
You upload and grab the link.
__________________
07 Unlimited Rubi Rescue Green/Auto/pwr
5" Frankenlift/35" Duratracs/5.13/Spidertrax 1.5"/Tailgate shock/Orbit Remote Start/Smittybilt XRC8/Hella Black Magic/Etc etc
Neoxxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 08:03 AM   #2080
Zachs
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kinston, NC
Posts: 594
gcfishguy

You're going to seriously want to consider moving to a solid state hard drive. The vibes caused from attaching to metal is going to destroy the drive in there.
__________________
2000 Sahara TJ
1997 Limited ZJ
Zachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #2081
Jeeeps
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 219
I made an overhead console a few years back for my TJ:




cheers
Jeeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #2082
drummerchukb1
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: charlotte
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3f4ult View Post
I would actually like to see that.






hope this works, iv never done pics. before
drummerchukb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #2083
drummerchukb1
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: charlotte
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoxxis View Post
And no need for a Photobucket or whatever account, just use tinypic.com...
You upload and grab the link.
Thanks! i have never heard of that before, i do beleive it worked!
drummerchukb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #2084
johnny9
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ocala,fla
Posts: 1,976
[QUOTE=Jeeeps;8001424]I made an overhead console a few years back for my TJ:


thats by far a very sweet console..ive been thinking about fabbin me a aluminum console but not sure about the head room that will be left afterwards..
im planning on my first jeep roll sometime,later than sooner i hope,but its gonna happen sometime when im stupidly crazy with the jeep boyz right.

just hate the thought of smacking into the console when it happens

i guess i need to sit in a jeep with a console to know if id want one for sure..

nice work anyhow,looks great
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 02:37 AM   #2085
JeepMuddotcom
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: City of Chicago
Posts: 9
Hey guys,

Nothing much fabricated, just rigged up stuff. But I thought I'd still show what I've done.

First is a YJ bikini top on a TJ. I used two boat straps to secure the rear of the top, lashed them around the ends of my cargo rack. I also put the center strap, that is supposed to go to the windshield, to the rear break light. I did not pull that one too tight to avoid potential damage to the light, the side straps did that well enough. Wrapped the velcro around the door surrounds. There were a few gaps where rain could get it, but only with heavy downpours while parked. All you need is the front channel add on bar to accommodate the top.

I ran this setup all summer and even made a drive from Chicago to New England and back, over 2500 miles, and never had a problem while driving.

Cost = free (hand-me-down from brother's long since sold YJ)

1 2 3 4 5

The other was my side view mirror when the doors are off. I used to work around rowing boats so I had access so some small parts. This is the foot of an aluminum out rigger, various nuts and bolts, some hard plastic backing, a mirror from an auto store, and a few screws. Yes it is a hack job, but it's very light, no tools needed, virtually unbreakable, and easy to put on.

Cost = $6 for the mirror, everything else was salvaged from an old tool box.

1 2 3
JeepMuddotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
home made , homemade , tj
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.