I made a _____ for my TJ! (post your homemade Jeep stuff here) - Page 135 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I made a _____ for my TJ! (post your homemade Jeep stuff here)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #2011
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

im sure that im not the only one to do this, i made windshield light brackets out of a fence bracket that i got from the local hardware store for about $3

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/w...d/DSC00034.jpg
http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/w...d/DSC00035.jpg

ajamison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #2012
kearns
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Integrated a nice system without losing much space at all. sounds pretty sweet too.

Got rid of the Ash tray, mounted another switch panel, and integrated a power inverter.

Flush mount taillights, and got rid of the big bulky license plate bracket by wrapping the plate.
kearns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #2013
Jebussaves0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearns View Post
Flush mount taillights, and got rid of the big bulky license plate bracket by wrapping the plate.
What did you put behind/around the liscense plate?
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara | 4.0L 5spd D44/D30 3.73s | Hurst Shifter | Hardwired Power Inverter | Hummer-Style CAI | 1" Rusty's BL/MML | AA TC Shifter Bracket | 2" BB | JKS Quicker Discos | 33x10.50R15 BFG KM2s | Alpine CDA-9886 HU | OTRATTW Switch Panel | G.P.F. Rear Bumper | Metalcloak Overline Fenders

M416 Trailer | In Progress
Jebussaves0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #2014
kearns
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebussaves0 View Post
What did you put behind/around the liscense plate?
flexible door edge trim. had it leftover from some bushwacker fender flares, but I've seen it for sale at schucks I think. its shaped like a U with adhesive on the inside... worked perfect for wrapping around the outside of the license place and protecting the paint/preventing rust.

(That is the second license plate I've had since I did the conversion, the first one I had glued some rubber to the backside of the license plate, that worked too.)
Unread 07-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #2015
Jebussaves0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

cool I may do that soon
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara | 4.0L 5spd D44/D30 3.73s | Hurst Shifter | Hardwired Power Inverter | Hummer-Style CAI | 1" Rusty's BL/MML | AA TC Shifter Bracket | 2" BB | JKS Quicker Discos | 33x10.50R15 BFG KM2s | Alpine CDA-9886 HU | OTRATTW Switch Panel | G.P.F. Rear Bumper | Metalcloak Overline Fenders

M416 Trailer | In Progress
Jebussaves0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #2016
corndogduff

Quote:
Integrated a nice system without losing much space at all. sounds pretty sweet too.

boy, do I have questions for you...

how did you mount the subs? did you cut the tub? if you cut the tub how did you enclose it from behind? where did you run the wires? do you have a full write up? the questions go on and on and on....
UT Jeepcrew #13
NIGHTCREW
corndogduff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #2017
TJ311
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Got rid of the Ash tray, mounted another switch panel, and integrated a power inverter.

Got any more pics of how the subs are stuffed in there? I had no idea there was enough room. That looks super clean. I really like it. Nice work!
TJ311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #2018
kearns
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffers View Post

how did you mount the subs? did you cut the tub? if you cut the tub how did you enclose it from behind? where did you run the wires? do you have a full write up? the questions go on and on and on....
I will try to find more pics, I never did a write up. I used Kicker 8" Comp "Free Air" subs. They are rated for marine use, so I don't worry about them getting wet. They perform well without being in an enclosure, they just need to be in separate air spaces from front to back. I cut 8" holes in the fender wells, made 1/4" thick aluminum plates to reinforce the sheet metal, bolted & siliconed them on. Then stuffed the fender with polyfill to improve the sound. put the carpeting back in place, and bolted the subs in using security screws. Somebody already mashed up a couple screws trying to steal them when I had the top off, but they had no luck

I ran the wires under the lip where the other wires already are, then drilled a small hole and used a gromet to connect them down into the fender well.

think that answers most of your initial questions, but if I can find or take some photos I'm sure it'll help you visualize
Unread 07-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #2019
kearns
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ311 View Post
Got any more pics of how the subs are stuffed in there? I had no idea there was enough room. That looks super clean. I really like it. Nice work!
Thanks!

I'll look to see if I have any more photos when I did the project and post 'em up.

The only clearance issue I had was with the gas filler tube on the driver's side. I have a 2000, and went to the junkyard, found out that the newer tjs had different filler tubes that gave me the clearance I needed. Bolted it in and was good to go.
Unread 07-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #2020
lojersey

Metal dash

This bumper is homemade
lojersey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 01:05 PM   #2021
mudking_ky87
1997 TJ Wrangler 

made a hitch to tow my 4x8 trailer with my 4 wheeler on it since the bumper on teh jeep didn't have a hitch, and it drops too low to put a reese on it, works great, and that is not just a flat plate, it is 2 plates (one in the back of the bumper) that are welded, and then it has 2 grade 8 1/2" bolts with aircraft nuts, and tthe plate is welded to the bumper in bottom and back, its not going anywhere:

also made some sway bar discos with some clevis pins from lowe's Total cost: $7

made something to cover the gap where my bumper is out of aluminum diamond plate
mudking_ky87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 09:14 PM   #2022
jacknife
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffers

I will try to find more pics, I never did a write up. I used Kicker 8" Comp "Free Air" subs. They are rated for marine use, so I don't worry about them getting wet. They perform well without being in an enclosure, they just need to be in separate air spaces from front to back. I cut 8" holes in the fender wells, made 1/4" thick aluminum plates to reinforce the sheet metal, bolted & siliconed them on. Then stuffed the fender with polyfill to improve the sound. put the carpeting back in place, and bolted the subs in using security screws. Somebody already mashed up a couple screws trying to steal them when I had the top off, but they had no luck

I ran the wires under the lip where the other wires already are, then drilled a small hole and used a gromet to connect them down into the fender well.

think that answers most of your initial questions, but if I can find or take some photos I'm sure it'll help you visualize

how about the amper box.. deminsions and how it was bolted down
Unread 07-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #2023
kearns
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffers

how about the amper box.. deminsions and how it was bolted down
I don't have dimensions, I made a cardboard dummy just big enough to fit my amp and follow the lines of the fenderwells. In the first photo of it upside down, you can see the flanges that bolt down under the seat brackets. cut a couple large holes and used 12V computer fans for ventilation. Carpeted to match and it disappears nicely.
Unread 07-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #2024
Manny

Quote:
Originally Posted by lojersey View Post

This bumper is homemade
More info on the dash build, please. I am looking to make the same mod to my TJ.
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #2025
jacknife
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't have dimensions, I made a cardboard dummy just big enough to fit my amp and follow the lines of the fenderwells. In the first photo of it upside down, you can see the flanges that bolt down under the seat brackets. cut a couple large holes and used 12V computer fans for ventilation. Carpeted to match and it disappears nicely.

o ok, but do you / can you still use the seat

Tags
home made , homemade , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.