Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

I made a _____ for my TJ! (post your homemade Jeep stuff here)

3M views 4K replies 1K participants last post by  neto_09 
#1 ·
just thought it would be a neat idea if someone could start a thread with only pics and info on home mods. write-ups wouldn't have to be included but a link to one would be nice if it is available. if someone likes the idea, start it up!

#302 ·
Unlimited04 said:
nice, couple questions:

where do you get plate aluminum?
what did you use to make the folds?
The metal came from a builders merchant in Wadi Kabir, Sultanate of Oman which may be a little far for you to go ;) and I had a metal worker friend of a friend do the two folds. 3mm is too thick to fold without the proper equipment, but 2mm is possible with practice.
The whole thing is shaped like an angular "C" with the bottom return capable of being screwed into the tub with a couple of small self tapping screws. I haven't done this and probably won't bother as crime here is low. It is enough to stop opportunistic theft and is a snug fit so is difficult to remove it from the jeep even when you know how.
Jd

#303 ·
jdflute said:
The metal came from a builders merchant in Wadi Kabir, Sultanate of Oman which may be a little far for you to go ;) and I had a metal worker friend of a friend do the two folds. 3mm is too thick to fold without the proper equipment, but 2mm is possible with practice.
The whole thing is shaped like an angular "C" with the bottom return capable of being screwed into the tub with a couple of small self tapping screws. I haven't done this and probably won't bother as crime here is low. It is enough to stop opportunistic theft and is a snug fit so is difficult to remove it from the jeep even when you know how.
Jd
well nice work, too bad i dont have access to any metal wholesalers like that, nor do I have a metal break:(

#304 · (Edited)
rear security drawers

I'm a bit of a DIY novice, so this project seems like it took forever. But I'm happy with the outcome, would do it again over paying the cost of the tuffy security drawers. I do admit i still have to do some touch ups and tweaking here and there before i can say its 100% done

THANKS!! for all the positive feedback everybody. I'll post some more detailed pics once i do the finishing touches.

#306 ·
Unlimited04 said:
when is this thing going to get stickied so we don't have to keep bumping it?
I asked for it once, and they stickied it for less than a day.. then took it down for some reason.

#307 ·
kevincctx said:
I'm a bit of a DIY novice, so this project seems like it took forever. But I'm happy with the outcome, would do it again over paying the cost of the tuffy security drawers. I do admit i still have to do some touch ups and tweaking here and there before i can say its 100% done

That looks kickass man! What did you use for the carpeting, and where did you get the drawer sliders?

#308 ·
The carpeting I got from my local pep boys. Its actually not "carpet" at all. They sell it in a roll about 4ftx5ft and its suppose to be used to put under your vehicle while its parked in the garage to keep oil from dripping onto the floor in the garage. I got it because its rubber on the underside and it was only 6.99 a roll. the drawer sliders i got at home depot for about 15$ they are suppose to hold up to 100 lbs.

#310 ·
Kevincctx, that is an awesome box. I need one of those as well as keeping the back seat! I wonder how a 200 inch stretch on my TJ will look?? LOL

#311 ·
kevincctx said:

That drawer box is sick man, the nicest DIY job I seen to date.

#312 ·
one of the things that i have a pic ready for is a CB Antenna / Trail Flag mount. matched the bolt pattern under the light and bent it up. ran the CB cable through the interior of jeep and then went out with the brake wiring harness through the body. grounded on interior

#313 ·
I really like the box, I am starting one for myself with the seat still there, dont need the storage just the security, but that looks awesome

#317 ·
Rear bump stops... I went the hockey puck method, and stacked two of them. Bolted and J B Welded to the spring perch... $7 for the pair!:D

#322 ·
bump to top, Sticky Please

#324 · (Edited)
Update to my tire carrier:

Got it all finished and coated with Line-X:

Now it was time to get my third brake light back.
On Ebay I found little LED brake lights typically used on motorcycles...they were around 35 bucks for a pair (shipped).

I used the factory mounting locations of the stock tire carrier to make something similar to the Arizona Rocky Road CB antenna mount I have:

Tacked in place:

*Note the stock spare is NOT mounted in the center of the vehicle, it sets to the pass side. the vertical square tubing is centered off the vehicles frame rails.

Had to use the anvil & welding heat to square this back up.

Painted, wired and mounted:

Its BRIGHT!!

I stuffed the LED housing into a steel tube to keep the bulbs from breaking should I hit it with something. I also integrated 2 CB antenna mounts behind the light housing. One will run CB, the other will run my BCT7...so in other words, different frequencies...they wont interfere..already thought of that:)
When is this thread going STICKIE!???!?!?

#325 · (Edited)
My Wrangler needed touch screen navigation, so I made it into a double din size. There are no decent head units in that Chrysler/GM Din and a half size. lots of cutting aluminum and wood bracing and fiberglass. Sprayed it with Interior paint that matched. Sorry for the blurry photos ill take more if anyone wants.

#326 ·
YetiTJ said:
My Wrangler needed touch screen navigation, so I made it into a double din size. There are no decent head units in that Chrysler/GM Din and a half size. lots of cutting aluminum and wood bracing and fiberglass. Sprayed it with Interior paint that matched. Sorry for the blurry pics ill take more if anyone wants.
there ya go

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.