I made a _____ for my TJ! (post your homemade Jeep stuff here) - Page 103 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I made a _____ for my TJ! (post your homemade Jeep stuff here)

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #1531
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I made myself a custom storage setup.

I took a plastic bin from Wally World and used U-bolts to mount a shovel on the lid:

Then, I drilled a hole in the side to put a pin through and hold the box in the Jeep.

I eventually plan to have another box, and I'll figure out how to bolt them together.

Unread 01-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #1532
Rubiconmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
Adjustable rear upper control arms. More details here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/building-ucas-joint-questions-640750/

Those are really nice. are they for a 4" lift?
Rubiconmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #1533
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmanutz View Post
You can lay serious welds with MIG... Run some .045 dual core like I did when I built rail cars (which carried many tons of weight...)

Also, if MIG it tuned right (VERY fine tuning) there will be zero spatter. Even then if there is any it scratches right off with a slag hammer...

Very nice welds though. I wish I would have learned TIG

Someday!
Tig welding isn't too hard. As long as you can coordinate boths hands and a foot with each other, you should be fine. After doing it a while you will even be able to use either hand for the torch and filler. Sometimes its just easier to hold the torch with my left hand and fill with my right, even though I'm right handed.
Kenbo-Slice is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #1534
Rubiconmike

One of the cool thing about tig welders is there also arc welders.
The contractor kit i bought even has a electrode clamp in it.

Unread 01-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #1535
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubiconmike View Post
One of the cool thing about tig welders is there also arc welders.
The contractor kit i bought even has a electrode clamp in it.

Nice unit. How much did it cost you?
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #1536
Rubiconmike

Here in Canada just before the $ droped it was $2800 for the welder and the blue box with all the goodies
was $700 cdn before tax all in all it was 4 g's but it will last forever.
This is a ac/dc unit so it will weld aluminium as well.
Most people won't need such a over the top item.Mine is a Dynesty 200 DX But a good one for most whold be this one.It is tig and arc but only DC.
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/econotig/
I like mine cus it'll run of 110v,220, three fase with out telling it. I run on 110 for now and have had it up to180a or so.
Unread 01-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #1537
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thats a nice little set up. Wouldn't mind having one at my house one bit. That way I wouldn't have to mooch off of my job (as much).
Kenbo-Slice is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 08:06 PM   #1538
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubiconmike View Post
Those are really nice. are they for a 4" lift?
Thanks...

They are 13.25" bolt-to-bolt at the shortest point and they have 1" of adjustment based on keeping 1.5x the shank diameter (.75") threaded (not counting the jam nut). According to the charts I've seen, they should be good up to 6" of lift.

I'll be building long arms before long, so I built these with the intent of selling them at some point.

I got them painted up:

Unread 01-11-2009, 08:23 PM   #1539
JPROBSON3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

License plate is being held on by Velcro and a plastic tie to the gas cap a.k.a. Custom Built License Plate Mount
/l- [ ___ ]⎧
l--l-o-llllll-o-l
( )-( )---{}-( )

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="5"]ROKMEN[/SIZE][/COLOR]-4-Life
JPROBSON3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #1540
hoot20
2000 TJ Wrangler 

a front bumper.. i'll be makin a back one with a rear tire swing too

2000 TJ sport "STORMTROOPER" dual tops, 4.0L, 2.5" coil spacer, 2" BL, jks quicker disconnects, worn out 35x12.50 bfg M/Ts, 15x8 d window rock crawlers w/ 4" backspacing, front stinger, custom rear bumper, superwinch lp8500 winch, a to z rocker guards, husky liner floor mats, CB/PA system, daylighters, and straight exhaust

My custom stinger build

Quote:
Originally Posted by boone78 View Post
jeeps don't stuck, they just take breaks every once in a while, in deep holes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Dirty Deeds, Done With Jeep!:duhrock:
hoot20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #1541
CRJeepin

Great thread - have only gone through 16 pages but look forward to the rest.

I made a tire mount for inside my heep. It removes the swingout that was giving me problems - swingout was fine but every time I got backed into a tree it would flex in and bend my tailgate.

This mount allows the back seat to fit upright with clearance, but it does eat up some visibility and isn't ideal for the road. But it is great for wheelin, and is easy enough to remove that I pull it out when I'm around town.

CR

this is why I love it - my jeep is 16" shorter, and that's a lot - especially on an LJ that's already too big for some tight trails!!

I have since ditched the factory soft top and run a bikini which works great. Since we're on the topic, I made that stencil too. It was intended for my CJ-5 project, but that's taking longer than anticipated and I wanted to try it out, so the LJ got it. Kinda a "dee de dee" to the non-jeepers that ask me "Do you take that in the mud or something?" and the mall-crawl H2 owners that don't know their vehicle has 4wd haha.

CRJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2009, 01:35 PM   #1542
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJeepin View Post
Great thread - have only gone through 16 pages but look forward to the rest.

I made a tire mount for inside my heep. It removes the swingout that was giving me problems - swingout was fine but every time I got backed into a tree it would flex in and bend my tailgate.

This mount allows the back seat to fit upright with clearance, but it does eat up some visibility and isn't ideal for the road. But it is great for wheelin, and is easy enough to remove that I pull it out when I'm around town.

CR

this is why I love it - my jeep is 16" shorter, and that's a lot - especially on an LJ that's already too big for some tight trails!!

I have since ditched the factory soft top and run a bikini which works great. Since we're on the topic, I made that stencil too. It was intended for my CJ-5 project, but that's taking longer than anticipated and I wanted to try it out, so the LJ got it. Kinda a "dee de dee" to the non-jeepers that ask me "Do you take that in the mud or something?" and the mall-crawl H2 owners that don't know their vehicle has 4wd haha.

Any more pictures and details?

Wow not sure why I couldn't see those pictures before. Looks good I like it. I am also debating what to do with my spare. Right not its in the tub and the rear seat is out. Considering keeping it that way.

Last edited by Scotch740; 01-14-2009 at 11:13 AM..
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #1543
CRJeepin

Here's a close up of the clamp, but that's all I got. The welds were done outside and before I spent a thousand hours burning CJ-5 frame so they are a bit rough, but they're strong enough for this. There are 3 passes, the top one is a bit spotty (used it to fill in low spots).

The clamps are Rock Hard 4x4 (the guys that make the bolt in cage), other than that just a piece of tubing bent to fit and I cheated & bought a tire mount plate for like $5 at the PA Jeep show, it was 5/8" thick and pre-drilled I figured I'd put that much into drill bits and grinding wheels if I cut my own!

CRJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #1544
Rubiconmike

Way to go.
Much better take off angle.
How about some cj shots.
Unread 01-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #1545
lynn
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks great Chris.

EarlyCJ5.net Forums
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
home made , homemade , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.