I made a _____ for my TJ! (post your homemade Jeep stuff here) - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I made a _____ for my TJ! (post your homemade Jeep stuff here)

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-17-2007, 09:41 PM   #136
pcguy

new homemade bumper, just finished installing it today.

I have an 06 rubicon unlimited, so I had longer rear corners than normal to protect from rocks etc... so I did this wraparound rear bumper to keep the tub safe

pcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2007, 09:45 PM   #137
Bulldog Jeeper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguy

I have an 06 rubicon unlimited, so I had longer rear corners than normal to protect from rocks etc... so I did this wraparound rear bumper to keep the tub safe

click free
looks good
Bulldog Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2007, 09:50 PM   #138
ScottD06X
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Man some of you guys could make a fortune selling your "home made" bumpers. Some look better than some of the mass marketed ones.
ScottD06X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2007, 10:02 PM   #139
XabuJr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

So where can I get one?!?!

'88 YJ, 33's, auto, 4.2L. Many pieces waiting to be put in!
XabuJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2007, 11:02 PM   #140
fast64
1999 XJ Cherokee 

That thing is nice!
Unread 04-17-2007, 11:03 PM   #141
GDog984
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Serioulsy that thing is sweet! I want one!
Unread 04-18-2007, 02:35 AM   #142
pcguy

It really wasn't that hard to do.

I used 4x4 3/16 inch thick square tube steel, 2 pieces of 6 inch wide flat stock, some 2 inch wide flat stock and a class 3 receiver tube from tractor supply company for the hitch. I am also brand new to welding, this was the first project I have done. Finished only with an angle grinder with cutoff wheels and some grinding discs and a few sandpaper discs. Paint is rattle can self etching primer and duplicolor low gloss black engine paint.

The angle and bevels were cut with the angle grinder & cutoff discs. the 4x4 tubing was cut in such a way as to slip together with the seams beveled to lay weld beads in, and welded beads around all the connections, then grind them down smooth.

Lot's of grinding was done

To cut the receiver tube hole I drilled holes in the 4 corners and used a sawzall to cut the square opening to size, slip the receiver tube in place, tack weld to keep it from moving. Then drill 4 holes from the backside, and plug weld the back of the receiver tube from inside until the 4 drilled holes were full. the rest was plain bead laying, with grinder and sandpaper discs to finish.

The d-ring tabs were done the exact same way. One funny note about the d-ring tabs, they are actually from my front bumper, they hung down, the maker of the bumper sells an approach roller option to put on that is supposed to make the bumper "roll" over obstacles that make contact with the bumper. I cut these off with a portaband,ground then down to a uniform shape since the cuts weren't perfect, then welded them onto my new rear bumper. This solved 2 problems, gave me the recovery tabs I wanted for the back, and got rid of these hideous things hangin from the front bumper for no good reason.
Unread 04-18-2007, 05:01 AM   #143
DogHouse
2002 TJ Wrangler 

well where do i begin:

my front bumper:

my rear carrier and bumper:

add supports to my cage:

built this for another guy:

my cargo rack:
A "Veteran" -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to, and including his life."
That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
DogHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2007, 05:06 AM   #144
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

mine is lame.....but...

CB Antenna mount:

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2007, 03:22 PM   #145
GDog984
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It really wasn't that hard to do.

I used 4x4 3/16 inch thick square tube steel, 2 pieces of 6 inch wide flat stock, some 2 inch wide flat stock and a class 3 receiver tube from tractor supply company for the hitch. I am also brand new to welding, this was the first project I have done. Finished only with an angle grinder with cutoff wheels and some grinding discs and a few sandpaper discs. Paint is rattle can self etching primer and duplicolor low gloss black engine paint.

The angle and bevels were cut with the angle grinder & cutoff discs. the 4x4 tubing was cut in such a way as to slip together with the seams beveled to lay weld beads in, and welded beads around all the connections, then grind them down smooth.

Lot's of grinding was done

To cut the receiver tube hole I drilled holes in the 4 corners and used a sawzall to cut the square opening to size, slip the receiver tube in place, tack weld to keep it from moving. Then drill 4 holes from the backside, and plug weld the back of the receiver tube from inside until the 4 drilled holes were full. the rest was plain bead laying, with grinder and sandpaper discs to finish.

The d-ring tabs were done the exact same way. One funny note about the d-ring tabs, they are actually from my front bumper, they hung down, the maker of the bumper sells an approach roller option to put on that is supposed to make the bumper "roll" over obstacles that make contact with the bumper. I cut these off with a portaband,ground then down to a uniform shape since the cuts weren't perfect, then welded them onto my new rear bumper. This solved 2 problems, gave me the recovery tabs I wanted for the back, and got rid of these hideous things hangin from the front bumper for no good reason.

So how did you mount it to the frame... I really want to make one like yours.. It looks sweet...
Unread 04-18-2007, 08:06 PM   #146
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I got the first coat of paint on the top side tonight.

so far it's cost me around $60-65 including the longer bolts and cut off wheels

Another coat or two of paint on the top and then some on the bottom and mount it and it's complete...
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2007, 08:14 PM   #147
GDog984
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRocks86
I got the first coat of paint on the top side tonight.

so far it's cost me around $60-65 including the longer bolts and cut off wheels

Another coat or two of paint on the top and then some on the bottom and mount it and it's complete...

Can't wait to see the install pics!
Unread 04-18-2007, 08:44 PM   #148
sicknasty

cb mount on the tire carrier... now i need to buy the antenna... weird that the hole was already there, nice and centered
sicknasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2007, 09:56 PM   #149
pcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDog984
So how did you mount it to the frame... I really want to make one like yours.. It looks sweet...
It's stitch welded to the back frame cap across the back, top bottom and side. I suppose you could make a bolt on mount for it with some threaded studs, or nutserts or something. I was shooting for maximum strength. It's going to be a real pain to cut it off if it needs to be removed, but felt it was worth it for the extra strength provided. not to mention, it will never be stolen LOL...

I also welded the rock rails on both sides with gussets to the frame.
Unread 04-18-2007, 09:58 PM   #150
frankiejr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicknasty

cb mount on the tire carrier... now i need to buy the antenna... weird that the hole was already there, nice and centered
End clicky.

What did you use for the bolt? (Please excuse me if that sounds stupid, I just don't have a CB yet and have been looking at mounts lately thinking about what to do when I get one soon...)
frankiejr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
home made , homemade , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.