Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

I made a _____ for my TJ! (post your homemade Jeep stuff here)

3M views 4K replies 1K participants last post by  neto_09 
#1 ·
just thought it would be a neat idea if someone could start a thread with only pics and info on home mods. write-ups wouldn't have to be included but a link to one would be nice if it is available. if someone likes the idea, start it up!

#690 ·
#691 ·
#692 ·
I built a set of rock sliders for my rubicon. I used .120 aluminum diamond plate and broke it in a metal brake, welded the ends, and riveted it to my original rubicon sides. If anyone is interested in a set of these I have a swb set ready and a lwb set in the works. NO DRILLING AT ALL FOR RUBICONS. These are also in the for sale section.

Heres some pics:
http://community.webshots.com/album/562844346FkWipX

#700 ·
Well, I revamped my audio system. I got tired of the blown sub woofer, the cd player that skipped (and actually started scratching my discs) and not having any sort of volume at highway speeds with the top down and/or doors removed.

So, I built a combination instatrunk/sub enclosure/amp rack for behind the back seat. It fits like a glove, and the sound quality is phenomenal. Lightyears ahead of the stock system (which wasn't too bad compared to most vehicles). It really has improved my rock. I'm not into setting off car alarms and irritating other people, rap ghetto hip hop crap, so this won't win any contest for how loud it can get. But it easily keeps up with highway noise, and the sound quality is much better than anything else that's ever pulled up next to me at a stoplight.

I built it out of 3/4" MDF. Assembled it with liquid nails, coated the inside sub chambers with rubberized undercoating and coated the box in herculiner to make it waterproof and more scuff resistant.

The whole things turned out great! :)

With the top down and back seat in place, it's completely invisible. It took me a few weeks of work but was well worth it. :thumbsup:

#702 ·
Thanks. :)

It's not quite as hard as it seems. I'm thinking of welding a small piece of steel and draping that over the rear of the box. That would make it nearly theft proof.

If you do put some sort of insta-trunk together, please post up pics in this thread. I'd love to see what you can come up with. :cheers2:

#704 ·
bman, nice job....do you think you'll have enough bass? I dont thinkn 2 w7s will be enough. lol

#705 ·
bman, nice job....do you think you'll have enough bass? I dont thinkn 2 w7s will be enough. lol
lol, 2 w7s would blow me out of the jeep. :D

I'm running 2 w3s, and they, even with the top down and doors off on the highway are plenty loud. Crystal clear though. If you sit in the back seat you can feel it in your chest. :cool:

#712 ·
No pictures and no camera right now, when I get it back I will take pictures of it. I didn't build it though, it was made by ProBox but I'm not sure if they even make it anymore. I have 2 10w1 in mine down fired and my amplifier is under my back seat. The box sticks up about 4 inches above the top of the tailgate but is still unnoticeable to anyone who doesn't know it's not supposed to be there.

#713 ·
I got sick of my garage door opener having to be locked in the glove compartment or center console. I was going to do the usual and solder a remote switch to it and keep the opener tucked away. But what is the fun in that? I scrounged through the junk yard and found a 98 Cadilac with the homelink system (universal) in the over head. I ripped that out, put a remote switch on it and wired it to power. I then tucked it away behind the glove box in an area that I still could get to so I can program it. Works great and I don't lose an opener that I can use in my other Jeep. I would post pictures however, I am not a high enough member yet and I am currently deployed, "protecting freedom and democracy through out the world"

#718 ·
I am not a high enough member yet and I am currently deployed, "protecting freedom and democracy through out the world"
Good on ya, God Speed! :thumbsup:

#719 ·
My first free Click, hope it works!
I do have to say I think its going to be loud being inside your jeep. Espically with a hard top on. I have mine mounted under the hood in the driverside rear part of the engine compartment. Just a thought. Bracket looks good!

#717 ·
Nice, thanks for the info. The cutouts definitely cut into the (already lack of) room. So, I'm leaving those out. The secure storage is nice, though I have too much crap in the jeep. Right now, with the hardtop, the Hi-Lift Jack is under the rear seat, but with the soft-top I usually have it mounted on top of the insta-trunk, so I may incorporate that into my new design.

I did not think about leaving the space behind the back seat to allow the top to fold down, that is a good consideration.

I have not heard of Google Sketchup, I will have to look into that. I've got things worked out on paper and in cardboard, hope to start on the aluminum sheets tomorrow. Have to see how difficult it is to bend. :laugh: Hopefully it is manageable, as I plan to have a one piece replacement for instatrunk. I'm going to cut-out the trunk as if all sides, back, and top were folded flat, then fold it into its shape. Hopefully I can work on it tomorrow.

#722 ·
Bump for a great thread.:thumbsup:

#723 ·
Tool pouch for the essentials I might need when driving around but don't want to lug my whole toolbox:

I used the large bag from this set I had bought. Some velcro patches attach it to the front side of the left rear wheelwell. It's out of the way but easy to get to, and fairly inconsipcuous to help avoid it being stolen when the top is down. I keep pliers, screw drivers, 1/4 ratchet, torx set, small flashlight, and an adjustable wrench in it. It also makes a convenient place to store small things like the nuts from the bottom of the door hinges.

When the seat is all the way back, there is about 1" of clearance between it and the pouch:

It's not fancy, but cheap and effective. Less than $15 for everything.

#724 ·
power for relocation license plate light bracket

Can't post pics.... I purchased the LED 3rd brake light/license plate light that places the license in the middle of the spare tire. I went down and junk yarded another contact set and placed it directly over the top of the existing one and ran a single wire over to the contact on the body from the running lights on the passenger tail light. Sorry for the poor pics, but ya get the idea.

license plate relocation
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2414/2372952048_e49d3ba754_b.jpg
body contacts (bottom two are the 3rd brake, top single is the plate light
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2132/2372124293_e2691b60f7_b.jpg
additional bracket (haven't got another cover yet, but it's coming)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2010/2372123221_97f3b26bd5_b.jpg

The kit came prewired with three wires (two powers with a joint ground). So this cleanly takes care of the wiring w/o having any extra exterior wires exposed and in harms way.

#725 ·
Can't post pics.... I purchased the LED 3rd brake light/license plate light that places the license in the middle of the spare tire. I went down and junk yarded another contact set and placed it directly over the top of the existing one and ran a single wire over to the contact on the body from the running lights on the passenger tail light. Sorry for the poor pics, but ya get the idea.

license plate relocation

body contacts (bottom two are the 3rd brake, top single is the plate light

additional bracket (haven't got another cover yet, but it's coming)

The kit came prewired with three wires (two powers with a joint ground). So this cleanly takes care of the wiring w/o having any extra exterior wires exposed and in harms way.
clickfree by me for you... long enough yet?

#727 ·
Modified my Auto Tranny skid plate. The DS hit the plate after I installed the lift. I saw this on another forum and decided to do it myself. Only took about 4 hour to complete.

Fabbed and ready for the install

Installed

#730 ·
I built this front bumper a while back.

And here's the rear.

I made some mirror brackets to run with no doors... I had to gom old school on the passenger side so I could see the mirror through the windshield.

I built some rock sliders, I think you can see them in the first pic but they weren't painted yet...oh yeah, they're gold too...:2thumbsup:

Oh yeah, and you can see the high lift mounts on the hood in the mirror pic... I've been a busy busy boy.

#732 ·
nice job muskyslayr, or should I say, goldmember. :laugh: ;)

#735 ·
well, that rear bumper really is nice. What are the pins on the opposite sides for?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.