Finally got off my *** to do it after pulling the carpet and seeing surface rust, turned out not bad I would think. I took my time and removed pretty much everything, the tailgate hinge was removed, grinded, and herculined seperately. Because I was doing it bit by bit during evening time, it took me nearly a week to reach this step.
First I swept out the interior, washed with water and soap. Then I sanded all the surface with 80 grit sand paper (the scratch pad came with the kit is next to useless), wire wheeled all the surface rust, swept, washed with water and soap. After washing with soap two times xylene is pretty much a fomality, but I did it anyway. The painting is done according to instruction. I did two coats with the gallon can, but each coat was pretty thick.
Lesson learned: 1. Wear the damn coverall, I looked like a dalmation in my shorts and shirt after two coats, the roller came with the kit splatters when you roll. 2. You need the nitril gloves, xylene eats through latex under ten seconds. 3. Always leave a bit for touchup, as no matter how you roll, you will miss a spot or two. I had to dig the can out of garbage to cover two missed spots, luckily there was some undried liner still in the can to finish up. 4. The "Goo Gone" **** you buy for five bucks 200 ml is primarily xylene, pure xylene works just as good but costs 1/5 as much.
I think I'll end up putting carpet on top of it anyway for now, since due to time and financial reasons I won't be going offroad for a while.