I know you guys are sick of this, but here is another Herculined jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I know you guys are sick of this, but here is another Herculined jeep

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 08-05-2006, 07:08 PM   #1
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I know you guys are sick of this, but here is another Herculined jeep

Finally got off my *** to do it after pulling the carpet and seeing surface rust, turned out not bad I would think. I took my time and removed pretty much everything, the tailgate hinge was removed, grinded, and herculined seperately. Because I was doing it bit by bit during evening time, it took me nearly a week to reach this step.

First I swept out the interior, washed with water and soap. Then I sanded all the surface with 80 grit sand paper (the scratch pad came with the kit is next to useless), wire wheeled all the surface rust, swept, washed with water and soap. After washing with soap two times xylene is pretty much a fomality, but I did it anyway. The painting is done according to instruction. I did two coats with the gallon can, but each coat was pretty thick.

Lesson learned: 1. Wear the damn coverall, I looked like a dalmation in my shorts and shirt after two coats, the roller came with the kit splatters when you roll. 2. You need the nitril gloves, xylene eats through latex under ten seconds. 3. Always leave a bit for touchup, as no matter how you roll, you will miss a spot or two. I had to dig the can out of garbage to cover two missed spots, luckily there was some undried liner still in the can to finish up. 4. The "Goo Gone" **** you buy for five bucks 200 ml is primarily xylene, pure xylene works just as good but costs 1/5 as much.

I think I'll end up putting carpet on top of it anyway for now, since due to time and financial reasons I won't be going offroad for a while.

User CP > Options > Uncheck "Show Signatures"
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2006, 07:14 PM   #2
BigPeters

looks good, did you put it on your pedals?
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Gun Metal Blue Jeep Member #25[/COLOR]
BigPeters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2006, 07:15 PM   #3
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Eithor you had a good amount of rust inside the tub that was bubbling up or you had some big chinks in the herculiner. But over all it still looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2006, 07:19 PM   #4
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yep I put it on the pedals, hope it won't be as slippery

There was some rust, but were grinded down to bare metal before coating. Some of the ones you see are probably due to light reflection rather than uneven surface.

User CP > Options > Uncheck "Show Signatures"
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2006, 07:59 PM   #5
TJdave
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That is awesome. I have been trying to convince myself to do this for a while.
KC daylighters, Warn Front bumper
and some Shrockworks
rock sliders all sitting on 33's
Pictures
NRA Jeeper #9

Ham Radio Call: KI6KCU
TJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.