I keep boiling/loosing coolant??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I keep boiling/loosing coolant???

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 05-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
01-tj-mad
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I keep boiling/loosing coolant???

Ok so here goes ......New Radiator and radiator cap, New Hoses (top and bottom) New highflow thermostat housing, new thermostat, no signs of leaks (inside or outside of jeep) and I am out of coolant in a week of daily driving.

Pressure tested ok with no leaks, No smoke, no discoloration in oil or trans fluid.... NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING. I cant fugure it out

There is sometimes the sweet smell of coolant but no evidence of its where a bouts....

Any suggestions???

01-tj-mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Try running it up to temp at idle with the hood up and waching for pin hole leaks.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
01-tj-mad
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Should I be focusing on hoses, engine, radiator? where? everywhere?
Unread 05-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Once it heats up (make sure the cooling system is full first) check around the entire cooling system.

Have you checked around the water pump weep hole really good for burnt coolant residue?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
Unread 05-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
01-tj-mad
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok im on it ill be back soon with results thanks for taking time to answer me
Unread 05-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry I didn't have anything more specific, but it has to be going somewhere. And those slow leaks can hit hot engine components and evaporate befoer they can drip or make a wet spot.

Quote:
Unread 05-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Check near the exhaust manifold, if it leaks there the exhaust will burn it away with no signs of a leak. If you can't find a leak you may have a blown headgasket.

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
Yankee-Juliet
1990 YJ Wrangler 

This happened to me once. Turned out I had an air pocket inside the engine so it was not completely full of coolant. When the engine got hot the thermostat would open and suck the coolant into the block. This made my coolant level look low and since there was not enough coolant anyway, it would get hot. Try taking off the radiator cap, let the engine run and as it heats up keep adding coolant. Once you have been at normal operating temp for a while and the rad is full you should be good. Hope this helps.

BTW: If this does not help, pull the thermostat and check it. I have gotten bad ones before and a buddy of mine even installed one upside down.

"Dog-gone it Roy-Jean, how many times do I have to explain it to ya, when I tell ya to put a rock under the wheel, I MEAN A ROCK!!" ~ C.W. McCall
Yankee-Juliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Zolt
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It could be an "air lock" in the system.

It could be a bad cap.

It could be a bad thermostat.
Zolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.