I hate the Rake! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I hate the Rake!

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 03-20-2007, 09:42 PM   #1
jmreagan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I hate the Rake!

I have always disliked the 1 inch rake my rig had from the start. So I put on a 3 inch suspension lift and still have it. Then I put a swing/out tire carrier with full spare and it sits the same, about an inch higher in the rear than the front. I'm thinking about adding 1 inch coil spacers to the front to level it out. Has anyone ever heard of this brand or used them? What other solutions do I have? All opinions are welcome!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...ayphotohosting

03' Sport, 4.0L, 3.73, 5 speed, D44/D30, 3 inch coil/shock lift, RE track bar, Tera disco's, 35x12.50's Dunlap Mud Rovers MT's, Spidertrax spacers, Viper 5000 alarm, Tuffy console, LOD extreme bumper/tire carrier and front bumper, A-Z rockers, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, JKS Rear UCA's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ
Sorry master, Dont whips me, I's do betta next time..
jmreagan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2007, 09:47 PM   #2
Chris @ GATR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I hope your experience with Rocky Road was better than 75% of myself and the others here who have dealt with them. Selling parts they dont stock seems to be a common issue. My opinion...I'd steer clear.
Unread 03-20-2007, 10:05 PM   #3
ptowntj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Daystar has a 3/4 inch one that is about the same price here in cali...thats what I plan once I get my tire carrier if it doesn't level out.
Unread 03-20-2007, 11:05 PM   #4
blacktjsport
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Got a case of the rakes here as well. Not sure what I am gonna do about it right now. I put on my RE 3.5 SF while the hardtop was on this winter. Mind you I have a Warn rear tire carrier and a full size 32x11.50 spare on the back. It seemed to sit somewhat level then, maybe a 1/2" taller in the back. Now that I took off the hardtop in favor of the soft top, the rear raised up about 3/4". Now I have a rake of over 1" in the back!! I also plan on putting on a somewhat heavy stinger bumper, winch plate, radiator hoop and winch on the front and an 8.8 in the rear which will again raise the back up another 1/2" b/c of the thicker tubes. I guess I am gonna have to switch out my front 3.5" coils for a set of 4.5's to make up for the difference in height.

-Matt

-Parts list keeps growing...
blacktjsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 12:38 AM   #5
VT_Jeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

I've got the same problem....if I put in 3/4 spacers....I won't have to get new shocks will I? I mean it's only 3/4 ". I've been wondering about this problem. My buddy has the exact same settup as me and he doesn't have this problem, his is perfectly level...it pisses me off! Any ideas why mine would "droop" and inch in the front and his wouldn't?

06' sport, 4" rough country, 33" BFG m/t's, winch, other goodies...
VT_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 02:30 AM   #6
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

i have the same feelings, noticed it even more when i installed my 2" bb. Now that i have a rear tire carrier and a heavy front bumper to go on...i think it'll be quite noticable.

my current plan is this: XJ coils. i have 2 XJ coils in my closet, from a 6 cyl. these coils are about an inch higher, uncompressed, and a slightly stiffer spring. That coupled with my BB should level out the front, i believe.

whenever i get time i'll install them

note the rake:

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 02:55 AM   #7
STW
2000 TJ Wrangler 

edit: deleted double post.
Unread 03-21-2007, 02:58 AM   #8
STW
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Waiting for backordered rear springs, I've had a slight reverse rake for a couple weeks (lower at the back) and found I dislike that even more than I disliked the forward rake caused by the winch and bumper.
Unread 03-21-2007, 03:23 AM   #9
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It's 4:30am and I'm drunk.

So I support the usage of fat chicks riding shotgun to level out the rake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Hack work? :rofl: You just described half the modified jeeps on this board.
Erik T. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 05:11 AM   #10
PGCI
2009 JK Wrangler 

Well, A partial body lift would fix it. I just had to do that to mine because my body was leaning to the passenger side 3/4". I used big ole fender washers and progressively got smaller as I got closer to where it didn't need lift. Just a thought.

2007 Rock Red XK
PGCI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 01:47 PM   #11
jmreagan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hyde
I hope your experience with Rocky Road was better than 75% of myself and the others here who have dealt with them. Selling parts they dont stock seems to be a common issue. My opinion...I'd steer clear.
Thanks for the heads up! I def. need a full 1 inch spacer in the front to off-set the rake from the measurements I took. Anybody know of a supplier that offers a full 1 inch spacer other than Rocky Road? I don't want to switch the springs out due to every manufacturer has a different idea of how tall they state their springs and how tall they really are. I don't want a reverse rake either. Thanks!
03' Sport, 4.0L, 3.73, 5 speed, D44/D30, 3 inch coil/shock lift, RE track bar, Tera disco's, 35x12.50's Dunlap Mud Rovers MT's, Spidertrax spacers, Viper 5000 alarm, Tuffy console, LOD extreme bumper/tire carrier and front bumper, A-Z rockers, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, JKS Rear UCA's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ
Sorry master, Dont whips me, I's do betta next time..
jmreagan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 02:05 PM   #12
bluejeep00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i put an inch and a half spacer in the front of mine but i need new springs bc mine are about 7 years old so their alittle worn out but it curred the rake
33 12.50 15 turxes mt's on 15 by 10 steel rims
cut fenders tuffy overhead cb no backseat
looking for any cheap parts
bluejeep00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 02:09 PM   #13
ThUmPeRcOn
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik T.

LOL P.S. YOU MIGHT IN THE MORNING!
ThUmPeRcOn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 02:33 PM   #14
hazmat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik T.

shotgun would'nt work . you'd have to hang them from the rear bumper.
hazmat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 02:48 PM   #15
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Load the Jeep with all your gear, and four people. THEN take a look at it.

If you still don't like the rake, worry about it then. Trust me, it's a whole lot lamer looking to be rolling down the road with the rear lower than the front, than vice-versa, sitting empty in your driveway.

I've never been able to understand why it's so improtant for people to have their Jeeps appear to sit level, when empty.
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.