I FINALLY put my Atlas in something--only took two years... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I FINALLY put my Atlas in something--only took two years...

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 08-20-2005, 08:51 AM   #1
zachv
Web Wheeler

I FINALLY put my Atlas in something--only took two years...

What a history this poor thing has. I bought an Atlas 4.3 from Mudjocky and Q-tec two years ago and had it sitting in the shop. A friend needed one quick so I sold mine to him and he replaced it with the same thing, again from Q-tec, and that one has sat in my project chassis for over a year now. Well I took it out and put it in a friend's TJ this week. We will be buying another one from Q-tec when I need one hoping that three times a charm for getting one into something for myself... Anyway, here are some pics:

Notice the custom mount. I made it so that the skid plate can be removed independantly of the trans and transfer case. We will be building a custom 4-link and belly up pan this winter so this is the best for now. He has a Skid Row engine skid that we did not want to delete at this point.

That tube has some complex bends in her and took some time to make...

Thanks to Q-tec again for the smokin' deal and great customer support over the years.

570-385-3931--shop
zachv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
Dragonmaster

That tube crossmember is the sweetest I've ever seen, you should go into production with it.
Work 2 Live, Live 2 Play, Play = JEEP
Dragonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2005, 12:26 PM   #3
got4-Lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmaster
That tube crossmember is the sweetest I've ever seen, you should go into production with it.
personally i would like a little more protection than that.

[URL]webwheeling.com[/URL]
got4-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2005, 12:31 PM   #4
jkulbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by got4-Lo
personally i would like a little more protection than that.
I think the point of the custom cross-member is to support the tranny and drive-line guts while the skid-plate is removed. If I read between the lines correctly, the cross-member isn't a skid replacement -- just a support while the skid is removed for service... he left it off for the photo. I think it's a great idea.
[COLOR=DarkGreen]Green Jeep Club Member #119[/COLOR]
jkulbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2005, 12:33 PM   #5
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm guessing the skidplate will still go back on right?

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2005, 12:35 PM   #6
Muddeprived

It's more than enough protection because the skid goes over the tube like he said above.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2005, 01:03 PM   #7
zachv
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shanks
I'm guessing the skidplate will still go back on right?

Jim
Yup. We were not ready for the next step in this Jeep's build up at this time. We didn't want to do a MML and either a BL or major sheetmetal work to accommodate the flat skid. That and the custom 4-link will be done this winter along with a fully custom skid made from tube and plated.

This was basically a "Hey, I have an Atlas sitting in the shop, do you want it for this season of wheeling?" I figured it was doing me no good sitting there so I may as well offer it up to one of our best customers until he gets the funds to replace it.
570-385-3931--shop
zachv is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.