I dropped the skid plate without supporting tranny - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I dropped the skid plate without supporting tranny

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 04-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #16
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hah, I once drove it unsupported like that, several years ago when I didn't know what the hell I was doing. Realized something was up when I started losing gears. That was 2 trannys ago, but that trans lasted another 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #17
Troutfly304
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, so let's say you did drive it.... About 4 different times over 4 weeks, before someone finally explains what the hell you've done!
I took mine off to have it sand blasted and painted, and things got busy, I didn't know better and now I'm freaking out!! I put a jack under it tonight it went like 3 inches maybe more. I get the skid plate back tomorrow. Do you think I've damage anything?

Nothing sounds wrong, it shifts fine, I've not heard anything unusual yet. How can I check to make sure nothing is wrong??

I'm just sick over this! Can't believe it!!!
Troutfly304 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #18
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutfly304 View Post
Ok, so let's say you did drive it.... About 4 different times over 4 weeks, before someone finally explains what the hell you've done!
I took mine off to have it sand blasted and painted, and things got busy, I didn't know better and now I'm freaking out!! I put a jack under it tonight it went like 3 inches maybe more. I get the skid plate back tomorrow. Do you think I've damage anything?

Nothing sounds wrong, it shifts fine, I've not heard anything unusual yet. How can I check to make sure nothing is wrong??

There was a post a while back from a guy who drove hundreds of miles without it supported. Is it a good thing? No. Is it the end of the world? No.
Unread 06-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #19
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Run it till it breaks. Change the fluid to check for shavings but otherwise not much you can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2014, 09:34 PM   #20
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post

Run it till it breaks. Change the fluid to check for shavings but otherwise not much you can do.
Personally I'd worry a lot more about the motor mounts and exhaust hangers and the stress they were under holding everything up rather than any internal damage. The internals of the engine, transmission and TC are pretty locked together. The whole unit may move changing driveshaft angles, but internally stuff will stay relatively at the same relationship.
Unread 06-02-2014, 09:37 PM   #21
Troutfly304
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks fellas, I've read a hundred posts on this, and starting to get worried even more. So even just a little positive reinforcement makes me feel a little better.
Unread 06-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #22
Dave02TJ
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Personally I'd worry a lot more about the motor mounts and exhaust hangers and the stress they were under holding everything up rather than any internal damage. The internals of the engine, transmission and TC are pretty locked together. The whole unit may move changing driveshaft angles, but internally stuff will stay relatively at the same relationship.
I agree, but with Sjones manual trans the gearshift lever probably was hitting the tub and putting pressure on it. Probably wore out his synchros.
Dave02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #23
Dave02TJ
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks fellas, I've read a hundred posts on this, and starting to get worried even more. So even just a little positive reinforcement makes me feel a little better.
It's not good, but if you drove it like a sane old person you could have caused zero damage.
Unread 06-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #24
Troutfly304
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Lol, well then for the most part I did drive like a sane old person. So hopefully I'm good. I crawled under and looked around today, motor mounts seem ok, not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but nothing was cracked or broke. However, I did notice that some of the shift linkage appears to b bent. But it did not seem to affect my shifting. I'll have to check into more once I get things back in place.

I assume that I can replace those pieces that are bent? Without too much expense?
Unread 06-03-2014, 09:14 PM   #25
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Yup, i would only be worried about the motor mounts as they're somewhat "the hardest" thing to fix resulting from skidless driving. Everything else should be just fine. Check your fan shroud for possible damage.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #26
Dave02TJ
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Lol, well then for the most part I did drive like a sane old person. So hopefully I'm good. I crawled under and looked around today, motor mounts seem ok, not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but nothing was cracked or broke. However, I did notice that some of the shift linkage appears to b bent. But it did not seem to affect my shifting. I'll have to check into more once I get things back in place.

I assume that I can replace those pieces that are bent? Without too much expense?
I'm going to assume the linkage you are referring to is actually the transfercase linkage. (2h,4h,4L) you might have an issue shifting into 4wd if this is the case.

I never priced out the linkage, can't be to much i'd imagine.

If mine was bent i'd replace it with a Novak cable shifter, it's a good upgrade.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/shifters/sk2xc.htm
Unread 06-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #27
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Check the catalytic converter hanger mount by the transfer case to see if its been a detached mount or damaged (separated) by running the transfer case skid plate dropped... IMO
Unread 06-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #28
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I was helping a buddy yank some parts off an XJ in the junkyard one day. I don't remember what parts. In the junkyard they cut the cats off, so there is nothing extra helping to support the drivetrain when the trans mount is removed. We pulled off the trans mount & trans crossmember/skid to get to whatever we needed. We didn't have anything supporting the trans, so as we did that, the engine/trans/t-case tilted until the output shaft on the t-case was pointed toward the dirt, and the limiting factor became the valve cover of the 4.0L hitting the firewall. We wrestled with it for a while, but we needed another few inches. We kicked the t-case a few times and the valve cover bent the firewall, the motor mounts snapped and the whole assembly dropped. Scared the crap out of us.

Seeing what an unsupported engine/trans/tcase does in a junkyard, it really makes me wonder how people are able to drive around without the t-case skid in place. I can only imagine how much stress is on the motor mounts, the exhaust and the copious amounts of output shaft movement there must be. Just be glad your drivetrain isn't laying on the ground someplace like that junkyard XJ was and move on.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #29
theGiantPanda
Swap This...

2006 LJ Wrangler 

unlimited04.. that was an XJ... come on now, you know the TJs are impervious to such things....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Hospital? What, are you suffering from Overextended Jeepaphelia or something? :)
I've never been poor, only broke. Poor is a state of mind. Broke is a condition brought on by Jeep ownership and a heavy right foot.

2006 Unlimited Redicon Panda Edition
RRI Long Arm...14" Fox CO's Front and Rear...D60 KP Front and D60 FF Rear... 5.38s spooled...40" Maxxis Trepadors...
6.1 HEMI...Atlas 5.1

5.7 HEMI 400 hp TJ Build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ye...17/?highlight=
6.1 HEMI Ultimate LJ Rubicon Build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/6-...ayhem-1013800/
2.5 to 4.0L swap and build up http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/he.../#post14946167
4.0 to 2008 5.3L GM LS in the Taco'd TJ [frame off build].....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/5-...28/?highlight=
My new DD Build, lift, 4.0 motor swap, done in 6 days?....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/6.../#post15716292

the new shop... http://redrockwiring.com/ conversion, parts and wiring systems
shop email.... info@redrockindustries.net
LIKE US on facebook..... https://www.facebook.com/redrockindustriesinc adding more daily
redrockindustries.net
theGiantPanda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
skid plate , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.