I dropped the skid plate without supporting tranny - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I dropped the skid plate without supporting tranny

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 03-31-2014, 12:25 AM   #1
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I dropped the skid plate without supporting tranny

So I didn't read up on it, and dropped the skid plate without supporting the tranny. Didn't hear anything horrible, but did I just break my jeep?

aldersonfilm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 12:41 AM   #2
M1ark
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldersonfilm View Post
So I didn't read up on it, and dropped the skid plate without supporting the tranny. Didn't hear anything horrible, but did I just break my jeep?

Put it all back together and let us know.
Atlas II 3.8 Transfer Case, Yukon 4.88 Gears, Custom Drive Shaft Front & Rear
M1ark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 12:49 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

No worries. The rear transmission mount is welded to the exhaust pipe which while it is supposed to be supported by the transmission mount, it will also temporarily support the rear of the transmission in a pinch. Just don't drive it like that.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Check the motor mounts too. Depending on which type mount you have, you might have done something to them.
'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
BaaBaa
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I dropped the skid plate a few months ago and all I had to support the tranny was a floor jack (had lent my jack stands to a friend and didn't take the time to figure out another solution). I let it sit overnight (might have been two nights how that I think about it) when I came back the arm of the floor jack was a good 2" below the tranny. Put everything back together and haven't had any problems.

Black 2000 TJ Sport
[B]Black Jeep Club Version 2.0 Member #66[/B]
BaaBaa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It'll be fine. Just listen and feel for any strange vibrations afterward.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
Skold
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
HAH...I did this last week too. WHat idiots we are.

Fortunately, I still had one bolt in so it only dropped a couple of inches. How far did yours go down?
Skold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

All the way. I didn't undo the 4 tranny bolts, so the whole assembly, skid plate and all were just hanging there, with me staring at it confused. Then I realized my mistake and quick tried to get everything back on haha
aldersonfilm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 07:03 PM   #9
Altonymous
Ol' Beard

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've done the same thing. The only thing that went wrong with mine is that the 4WD shifter came out on the underside. I didn't realize it until I cranked it back up and rebolted it.. so I had to undo it all lower it down and reset the shifter.
Altonymous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2014, 08:51 AM   #10
Skold
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
All the way. I didn't undo the 4 tranny bolts, so the whole assembly, skid plate and all were just hanging there, with me staring at it confused. Then I realized my mistake and quick tried to get everything back on haha
Yep, I did not even know about the 4 tranny bolts until after.
Skold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #11
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Had my tranny flop down a fair bit once. I'd second the guy who said to take a look at your motor mounts. Also, I ripped my lower shifter boot because of it. The rubber boot that is under the "good looking" shifter boot in the cab. So you may look and see what you might have damaged there too.
Unread 04-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #12
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Guys in the rustbelt know about this all too well. I've seen a few threads pop up, over the years, about rusted frame where the skid mounts and everything dropping down while driving. None of them reported any damage to the drivetrain, its not a good thing though.

So, if you just dropped it and realized your mistake and have corrected it before driving, there's nothing to worry about. Next time, put a jack with a piece of wood underneath the trans and slowly lower it down until resting on the jack and then pull the bolts out of the skid all the way. Good luck.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #13
Altonymous
Ol' Beard

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necko2529
Guys in the rustbelt know about this all too well. I've seen a few threads pop up, over the years, about rusted frame where the skid mounts and everything dropping down while driving. None of them reported any damage to the drivetrain, its not a good thing though. So, if you just dropped it and realized your mistake and have corrected it before driving, there's nothing to worry about. Next time, put a jack with a piece of wood underneath the trans and slowly lower it down until resting on the jack and then pull the bolts out of the skid all the way. Good luck.
What are people doing who have a bit of rust in there?
Altonymous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #14
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altonymous View Post
What are people doing who have a bit of rust in there?
Safe-T cap (sp?) sells pre cut/formed pieces for most known rust spots on TJ frame. Skid plate area and the area around the rear control arm mounts.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #15
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaaBaa View Post
I dropped the skid plate a few months ago and all I had to support the tranny was a floor jack (had lent my jack stands to a friend and didn't take the time to figure out another solution). I let it sit overnight (might have been two nights how that I think about it) when I came back the arm of the floor jack was a good 2" below the tranny. Put everything back together and haven't had any problems.
Yea, jacks will slowly creep down, at least most of mine do. If I have to support something for more than an hour or so, I'll use stands, or wood blocks, or something else that's not hydraulic. Not sure if good quality floor jacks creep or not, but my cheapo ones do

First time I realized that I was getting the motor in position on my willys, I let it set over night for a few nights and then I came back to it to weld the motor mounts in place and I looked at it and realized the motor had dropped 6 inches.

Tags
skid plate , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.