I was chasing down this noise............. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I was chasing down this noise.............

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 09-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
meatlord
Animals taste good

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I was chasing down this noise.............

......In my front end, when I came upon this.

I discovered multiple broken welds on my steering gear and brackets. The size and quality of the oem welds is pathetic to say the least. I did some quick rescue welding on it, as I was attending a jeep event early the next morning. The plan is to remove the gearbox completely and weld around the rest of it.

Anyone else have these issues, and what was done to remedy/correct/replace/upgrade. Looking for info and options at this point. My rig is not a DD, but frequently sees long trips, and drivability is a necessity.

And on a side note....I made the 2+ hrs trip to the show, and there was a good turn out this year again.

2012-09-21_17-51-45_939.jpg   2012-09-22_14-13-55_363.jpg  
Unread 10-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
meatlord
Animals taste good

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Bump.....anyone have this issue?
Unread 10-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Steering box brace or hydro-assist. All the leverage you put on those big tires when you're turning against rocks will take it's toll.
dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
familyTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Haven't heard of that happening. But dmgiff is right.
familyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you're running 37s and no hydro assist, then you must have massive arms. It's no wonder why they cracked

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJameson
If you're running 37s and no hydro assist, then you must have massive arms. It's no wonder why they cracked
Have you driven a setup like this? Power steering still does it's job, it's just welds were the weak link. Even with no power steering it's still not too bad. Don't be a wimp

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
meatlord
Animals taste good

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgiff View Post
Steering box brace or hydro-assist. All the leverage you put on those big tires when you're turning against rocks will take it's toll.
How about some links to any braces etc, not really looking for full hydro, but may consider an assist when I swap front axles. I am currently running a PSC pump now. The OEM welds are very subpar, I am planning on removing my steering gear and putting some beef to it when I get time.
Unread 10-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
meatlord
Animals taste good

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJameson View Post
Actually its not as bad as you would think, I have a PSC pump and steering is effortless, you really have to bind it up hard to make steering difficult. I'm looking to find a permanent fix with out going full hydro at the moment.
Unread 10-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quite common when you don't reinforce the box mounts or run hydro assist with tires that size.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
failure , gearbox , steering , welds

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.