JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   I was chasing down this noise............. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/i-chasing-down-noise-1420227/)

meatlord 09-23-2012 09:02 AM

I was chasing down this noise.............

2 Attachment(s)
......In my front end, when I came upon this.

I discovered multiple broken welds on my steering gear and brackets. The size and quality of the oem welds is pathetic to say the least. :thumbdown: I did some quick rescue welding on it, as I was attending a jeep event early the next morning. The plan is to remove the gearbox completely and weld around the rest of it.

Anyone else have these issues, and what was done to remedy/correct/replace/upgrade. Looking for info and options at this point. My rig is not a DD, but frequently sees long trips, and drivability is a necessity.

And on a side note....I made the 2+ hrs trip to the show, and there was a good turn out this year again.

meatlord 10-14-2012 08:34 AM

Bump.....anyone have this issue?

dmgiff 10-14-2012 11:19 AM

Steering box brace or hydro-assist. All the leverage you put on those big tires when you're turning against rocks will take it's toll.

familyTJ 10-14-2012 08:14 PM

Haven't heard of that happening. But dmgiff is right.

LJameson 10-14-2012 08:49 PM

If you're running 37s and no hydro assist, then you must have massive arms. It's no wonder why they cracked

TheRealKTrain 10-14-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJameson
If you're running 37s and no hydro assist, then you must have massive arms. It's no wonder why they cracked

Have you driven a setup like this? Power steering still does it's job, it's just welds were the weak link. Even with no power steering it's still not too bad. Don't be a wimp

meatlord 10-14-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmgiff (Post 14299515)
Steering box brace or hydro-assist. All the leverage you put on those big tires when you're turning against rocks will take it's toll.

How about some links to any braces etc, not really looking for full hydro, but may consider an assist when I swap front axles. I am currently running a PSC pump now. The OEM welds are very subpar, I am planning on removing my steering gear and putting some beef to it when I get time.

meatlord 10-14-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJameson (Post 14301907)

Actually its not as bad as you would think, I have a PSC pump and steering is effortless, you really have to bind it up hard to make steering difficult. I'm looking to find a permanent fix with out going full hydro at the moment.

ratmonkey 10-14-2012 09:32 PM

Quite common when you don't reinforce the box mounts or run hydro assist with tires that size.

The time now is 10:43 PM.