I am at a total loss! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I am at a total loss!

Save 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSave on AEM Intakes from XT!

Unread 06-14-2015, 05:30 PM   #1
grnt87

I am at a total loss!

Hello all. I have a 2000 TJ that is pushing me to my whits end! I have no tail or brake lights. I do however have turn signals, hazards, and reverse lights. I have changed ALL fuses, headlight switch, brake switch, multi-function switch and still nothing! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

grnt87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2015, 10:08 PM   #2
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Have you checked and cleaned the 3 mounting bolts that hold your tail light assembles to the tub and the sockets that the tail light bulbs are installed in?

Filling in your profile helps when you have future questions.

Welcome to the forum...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2015, 10:35 PM   #3
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

When you replaced the multifunction switch and such in the column, did you notice the condition of the male and female sides of the plugs? We're there my burnt terminals?

And just because you're here, Knucklehead,

WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Jeepster83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2015, 11:22 PM   #4
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The reverse lights, tail lights, and brake/turn lights all share the same ground, so theoretically the ground should be good as at least two of those are working... definitely couldn't hurt to check the assemblies and contacts therein to ensure you don't have corrosion though.

In the driver's footwell, outer kick panel, you'll find a large gang connector with numerous different coloured connectors plugged into it. Unplug the black one -- with the parking lights on should see 12v at pin 1 and when you apply the brakes you should see 12v at pin 7.
Unread 06-15-2015, 12:08 AM   #5
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnt87 View Post
Hello all. I have a 2000 TJ that is pushing me to my whits end! I have no tail or brake lights. I do however have turn signals, hazards, and reverse lights. I have changed ALL fuses, headlight switch, brake switch, multi-function switch and still nothing! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster83 View Post
When you replaced the multifunction switch and such in the column, did you notice the condition of the male and female sides of the plugs? We're there my burnt terminals?

And just because you're here, Knucklehead,

The OP's multifunction switch is quite a bit different than your 2003 TJ switch...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #6
grnt87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Have you checked and cleaned the 3 mounting bolts that hold your tail light assembles to the tub and the sockets that the tail light bulbs are installed in?

Filling in your profile helps when you have future questions.

Welcome to the forum...
I have tried that as well. Thanks though.
Unread 06-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #7
grnt87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
The reverse lights, tail lights, and brake/turn lights all share the same ground, so theoretically the ground should be good as at least two of those are working... definitely couldn't hurt to check the assemblies and contacts therein to ensure you don't have corrosion though.

In the driver's footwell, outer kick panel, you'll find a large gang connector with numerous different coloured connectors plugged into it. Unplug the black one -- with the parking lights on should see 12v at pin 1 and when you apply the brakes you should see 12v at pin 7.
I will try this tonight thanks for your help. If the problem is here does that mean that assembly needs to be replaced?
Unread 06-15-2015, 11:59 PM   #8
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Depending on whether 12v is present or not at those locations will determine where you'll need to look further. Whenever you disconnect plugs/connectors such as these, always inspect them for loose or damaged pins/contacts, signs of arcing or shorts, and corrosion -- also take a look at the wires where they go into the connector and ensure that none are discoloured, burnt, or chafed. Sometimes electrical problems can be resolved simply by disconnecting and solidly reconnecting the applicable plugs in the system.
Unread 06-16-2015, 05:31 PM   #9
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

All the wiring is inside the rear wheel wells. If someone ripped out the plastic liners the wiring/connectors might be damaged.
Unread 06-16-2015, 08:18 PM   #10
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Start at the kick panel. If you are getting power there then check for power (with multimeter) at the housing. You may have a broken wire in between.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.