I Am Liberated... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I Am Liberated...

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-23-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
a87bronco2
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I Am Liberated...

...from my factory airbox!

I used a Buick airbox...I got the idea from here. Mine came off a '92 Century. I basically got a 2" to 3" coupler and put it on the throttle body. I did have to drill two holes into the airbox to hook the crankcase vent to and the IAT sensor. I used epoxy to install the IAT sensor...hopefully it doesn't go bad

Oh yea, I did have to trim the coupler a little to make the airbox not hit the hood. And sometime in the future I'm going to run a hose from the box to the firewall into the cowl so that it isn't sucking hot air from the engine compartment.

Pics:

I did use RTV on this at first, but after the RTV didn't set up between yesterday evening and this afternoon I decided to pull it out and clean it and use epoxy instead.

I ended up epoxying it from the inside but left the RTV on the outside...it'll set up eventually.

a87bronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice,still got the 87 Bronco?
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

nice. added to the CAI FAQ.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
a87bronco2
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Nice,still got the 87 Bronco?
Yea...it's a Bronco II (like with the Ranger front end). It's totally stock...my parents bought it new in '87 when my mom was pregnant with me. Then they sold it to me for $300 in '03 or '04. I love my Bronco...I'll never get rid of it!

Pics:

My brother painted it once...this was the closest to the stock color...

He painted it again (this is its current state) after I wrecked the door on the driver's side.

That's me in the pictures...
Unread 09-23-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
JWitt333
1999 TJ Wrangler 

sweet. what are you going to do with all that new real estate under the hood?

'99 Gunmetal TJ
Blue Jeep Club Member #256
4" RC X-Series, 1in BL
Rokmen Armor
KC Day Lighters, 33 BFG M/T
with more to come
OlllllllO
JWitt333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
George Dickel
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Go check out my thread that has also been linked. I think I mention the hell of going thru the firewall. I wish I could remember what size hole saw I used or should have used. You will be glad once you get that true cold air in there. My Jeep loves it but then again, it could be the cam I'm feeling
12 Counterweight 258 Crank (cut snout-casting #3214723), Sealed Power +.030 Hypereutectic Pistons, 5.875" Connecting Rods, CompCams 68-231-4, Ported/Polished Head, Edelbrock Header, 24# Ford Blue-top Injectors, 63mm bored OEM Throttle Body, Port matched Intake, Autolite Platinum plugs, Accel Coil, LiveWires Distributor & Wires, Centerforce Clutch, Hurst Shifter, modified Mustang GT Air Cannister - CAI, 18" Magnaflow and 2 1/2" exhaust, Balanced Rotating Assembly, Custom PCM tune.
Yeah, I built it!

Exhaust clip: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwUOa4LqRn0&feature=youtu.be[/url]

[B]'04 Mustang GT, 4.6L[/B]
Light modifications[/SIZE]

[I][B]Read more, Post less, Search often[/B][/I]
George Dickel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2009, 10:37 PM   #7
diablo_331
2001 TJ Wrangler 

thats a nice bronco.. my buddy is building a '73 right now
Unread 09-24-2009, 03:26 AM   #8
a87bronco2
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo_331 View Post
thats a nice bronco.. my buddy is building a '73 right now
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWitt333 View Post
sweet. what are you going to do with all that new real estate under the hood?
I'm putting an OBA system in place and I found that unless I want to spend $260 on a bracket that I needed to move my factory air box. Even if I would've used that bracket, it would've been hell finding a place to mount the manifold and such for the air system...so that's what I'll use that space for. Maybe I'll work on that tomorrow or this weekend...dunno, I might be more motivated later today, as right now it is almost 4:30 in the morning and I just got up to go to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Dickel View Post
Go check out my thread that has also been linked. I think I mention the hell of going thru the firewall. I wish I could remember what size hole saw I used or should have used. You will be glad once you get that true cold air in there. My Jeep loves it but then again, it could be the cam I'm feeling
Yea, I know I'm gonna do that eventually...I was going to just put a K&N on the end of the intake tube...but for one I don't really like the idea of sucking hot air and two I read all about the trouble that they are for off roading and decided to get a Buick airbox instead. So I will sometime get the parts needed to place a tube from the airbox to the firewall. What kind of cam are you running? Does this engine react well to cams? (isn't it speed density controlled?)
Unread 09-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #9
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Do you plan on just ducting to the cowl or are you going to have it set-up to help keep water from entering the intake?
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #10
a87bronco2
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
Do you plan on just ducting to the cowl or are you going to have it set-up to help keep water from entering the intake?
I was thinking about ducting it to the left side (right side from driver's POV) of the cowl...with just a tube to intake the air...so that it's not intaking the air directly under the vent in the middle, ya know?

(Edit in bold)

Last edited by a87bronco2; 09-24-2009 at 10:54 AM..
Unread 09-24-2009, 10:32 AM   #11
Jay98TJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a87bronco2 View Post
I was thinking about ducting it to the left side of the cowl...with just a tube to intake the air...so that it's not intaking the air directly under the vent in the middle, ya know?

P ocket
Jay98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #12
a87bronco2
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay98TJ View Post

Looks good. Is your filter in the cowl? That's what I was trying to avoid by having the Buick airbox...I didn't want to have to remove the cowl everytime I wanted to change (or clean) the airfilter.
Unread 09-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #13
Jay98TJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a87bronco2 View Post
Looks good. Is your filter in the cowl? That's what I was trying to avoid by having the Buick airbox...I didn't want to have to remove the cowl everytime I wanted to change (or clean) the airfilter.
Filter on cowl, don't have to remove cowl to service, just the scoop.

Clean Air Scoop with Filter, Jeep, Wrangler, TJ, LJ, Rubicon, Unlimited, Cabin filter
P ocket
Jay98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
a87bronco2
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Filter on cowl, don't have to remove cowl to service, just the scoop.

Clean Air Scoop with Filter, Jeep, Wrangler, TJ, LJ, Rubicon, Unlimited, Cabin filter
Oh, that's pretty cool!
Unread 11-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #15
TJ4JT
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

First of all, it looks great. I want to do something to re-route the air away from under the hood.

But, what about the effect of rain, or any other water over the hood? Doesn't that result in post-filter intake/engine moisture? Is there an alternate filter placement closer to the TB that could allow water to drain as it usually does, and let just the air flow into the filter/TB?
TJ4JT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.