Hyline hood vent install. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hyline hood vent install.

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 10-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
loaderopp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hyline hood vent install.

Last week brown santa brought me a big box from quadratrac. After loads of research and reading about the different makes and models of hood vents, i went with the Hyline Brand.

And inside the box came this little Gem.

and the template for your main cut outs and holes to be drilled.

The instructions are clear and to the point. with photos if needed, but really they are not. very clear and simple.
After removing the hood from the jeep i removed the window bumpers and hold down. and placed the template on the hood. At this point i used some #8 self taping 1/4 head screws to hold the template in the correct spot. I used a 1/2 drill and drilled out all the corners for the cut out's. Now i used a Saber saw (AKA) Jig saw.

you could use a cut off wheel, But would need a hole saw to make a nice clean cut in the corners. Since i was using a saber saw i used a 1/2 drill for the corners. with a 24 TPI metal blade. nice clean cut with no burr's. Then with a 1/4 drill bit i drilled out all the holes for the studs to go thru. The drilled out the self taping screw holes to 1/4 after i removed them.

Lifted off the template and started to install the hood vent. this is where i found a couple holes from the template and the studs that are preinstalled on the vent did not match up. So a little reworking of 2 holes needed to be done. then a the vent fell into place easy like. and i started to place the nylock nuts and tighten them down, This is where the swearing started. A few of the spot welded studs just turn once the nylock started to grab. With nuts half on and would not tighten or loosen off. the heads just spun. A little ticked i kept installing and tighting the rest 3 in total just spun after getting the nut's half on.. For those troubled studs i went with pop rivets beside each stud. a simple fix and here is the finished project.

Over all and i am happy with the out come, the product is very well made, other then the way the studs are installed. Maybe a non locking nut with a little loctite might be a better way to go. then the spot welded studs might not just spin.. The instructions are very very clear. and simple to understand.

The use of a jigsaw, is much cleaners and faster then a Cut off wheel on a grinder. but both could be used. The help of a buddy getting the hood on and off is the way to go. The metal template is great and is used as a giude for all the cut's and the holes to be drilled. I bought the non powder coated model and painted mine with box liner. i was thinking about white at first to match the jeep. But decided to go with black. All in all i would do another jeep again with the same product. P/S a sticker would be nice.

2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 5.5 inch custom long arm, 1 inch daystar body lift, River Raider Snorkel, Custom bumper/winch mount, sliders, tire carrier. 37x13.50 R17 Nitto Mudgraplers, Bushwacker flat fender. Custom 1/2 cab. Hyline hood vents. Custom tonnue cover and tool box. HID-X off road lights, LED driving lights custom rear bumper/m6000 rear monted winch.
loaderopp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Buffalo99
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job on the install!

Curious to know how your vented hood will affect operating temperature... although, you might have to wait until summer up there in Edmonton to find out.
Buffalo99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
loaderopp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo99 View Post
Nice job on the install!

Curious to know how your vented hood will affect operating temperature... although, you might have to wait until summer up there in Edmonton to find out.
Thanks. I went for a run after i installed it. And when i got home the heat was coming out the vents pretty good. Never had any troubles with over heating up here, but we are planning a trip down to moab this coming late spring.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 5.5 inch custom long arm, 1 inch daystar body lift, River Raider Snorkel, Custom bumper/winch mount, sliders, tire carrier. 37x13.50 R17 Nitto Mudgraplers, Bushwacker flat fender. Custom 1/2 cab. Hyline hood vents. Custom tonnue cover and tool box. HID-X off road lights, LED driving lights custom rear bumper/m6000 rear monted winch.
Unread 10-31-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Nice! Im thinking of picking up one of these soon.

Did you get any pictures of the hood after you cut the holes but before you installed the vents?
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
loaderopp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Nice! Im thinking of picking up one of these soon.

Did you get any pictures of the hood after you cut the holes but before you installed the vents?
No i did not, left my phone in the truck. and the son had it out.

If you get one forget the nuts that come with it and just get some non locking and use some loctite. you will need 32 of them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.