Hydrogen Fuel Cell Anyone? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hydrogen Fuel Cell Anyone?

Introducing the Quart Crate...JK Front Axle TrussVANCO DUAL MODE KNUCKLE 15" and 16" Big Brake ki

Unread 07-10-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
RubiconBlack
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hydrogen Fuel Cell Anyone?

SO I was screwing around on youtube and found a guy that was getting 36 mpg out of his Wrangler with the 2.5L. I'm wondering if there is anyone else out there that has tried this and or still using it?

RubiconBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

there is a TON of info on this forum about it. dozens of threads with detailed pictures and write ups. search HHO.

i'll save you some trouble - its useless due to the TJ's stupid computer.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
Kitchen
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i got one in my xj
Build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kitchen-xj-build-1144692/[/url]

- 03 TJ Rubi
4 inches on 35 baja MTZs
Stock rubi stuff(D44s, lockers, skids, etc...)[/B]
Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
thecleaner
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ahhhhhh, the ubiquitous perpetual motion machine. It doesn't exist. To put it simply, if you could improve your fuel economy by adding nothing but water, GM and every other manufacturer would be on top of it already. Don't waste your time or money

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/alternative-fuel/gas-mileage/4310717
Unread 04-13-2011, 11:52 PM   #5
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It would work if you could keep you computer from reseting the fuel to air mixture, but as with most vehicles this trick only works for a limited amount of time, until the computer resets things, then you have to take the stuff off get terrible mileage for equal amount of time before you can put it back until the computer does its thing again.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
thecleaner
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
It would work if you could keep you computer from reseting the fuel to air mixture, but as with most vehicles this trick only works for a limited amount of time, until the computer resets things, then you have to take the stuff off get terrible mileage for equal amount of time before you can put it back until the computer does its thing again.
No, it wouldn't work. If it would, could you imagine how much freaking money any given auto manufacturer could make selling cars that run on water? I'd imagine UPS or the USPS or Overnite would be more than willing to buy a fleet and raise their fuel economy by 300%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy

Actually, if you used a TBS and one of those "Vortex" things in your intake it maaaaay work.
Unread 04-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

EVEN if it did actually work (and it does not) - you would never get 36 mpg with TJ. With a small light aerodynamic car, sure, but the TJ is too heavy, too much rolling resistance, and FAR too un-aerodynamic. It will never happen. Gimmicks do not repeal the laws of physics.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

This sort of thing works perfectly as long as you ignore the 'law of conservation of energy'. I say, turn a blind eye and go for it!!!!!
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
Kitchen
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i got an extra 5 before lifting
Build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kitchen-xj-build-1144692/[/url]

- 03 TJ Rubi
4 inches on 35 baja MTZs
Stock rubi stuff(D44s, lockers, skids, etc...)[/B]
Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #10
silverjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Read, this is my personal experience. FYI, I'm not running it anymore.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/in...crease-607383/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/hy...thread-607815/

www.my4x4source.com Jeep parts and accessories
silverjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
al3x
2007 JK Wrangler 

So here is a question, if you was able to install some sort of small wind turbine under your hood, either by tubing something just for the fan or incorporating it to the intake tubing, could you provide the power you need for the HHO system without using the Jeep's power system. Wouldn't this increase the possiblity of gaining more MPG?
al3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #12
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Omfg
roundlitefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #13
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It reminds me of the ads that claims fantastic weight loss with pills, save your money and buy some snake oil
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 12:40 AM   #14
Yuri
2001 TJ Wrangler 

36 mpg on a TJ may be possible, but this thing isn't going to do it. Low with stock tires, I could easily carry 25 mpg on the highway (and I've got a 4.0L), It wasn't even that difficult. You just have to drive 55, and keep your foot out of it. The problem is that it's not feasible to drive like a 90 year old woman all the time.

Although I haven't personnally managed more than 25 or-so with minor hypermiling, I would believe 36 can be done using EXTREME hypermiling techniques. There are 'hypermiler races', where guys manage 100+ MPG with Saturns and such. 36 in a TJ is plausible, but not for every-day driving.

If I had to build a TJ for hypermile-racing (and money were no object):
  1. 4cyl/5speed
  2. electric fan
  3. cut coils to lower the ride height
  4. small, narrow LRR tires pumped upwards of 100psi
  5. remove flares, wipers, antenna, hood bumpers, tie downs, or anything else that may hinder wind resistance in the slightest
  6. take ALL excess weight out of the Jeep: interior, carpeting, cup holders, unused seats/belts, radio/speakers, etc.
  7. any excess exterior weight: spare, bumpers, mirrors, steering stabilizer, maybe even sway bars, etc.
  8. any accessories and related components that aren't needed (AC, cruise, horn, washer reservoir, ect.)
  9. the minimum required amount of the lightest weight oils/gear oil/other fluids/etc.
  10. remove front shaft, and/or run a 2wd front axle to save weight
  11. build a flat bottom out of sheet aluminium or corrugated poster board (or both)
  12. aluminium tub
  13. ducktape all panel gaps and most of the radiator
  14. build some kind of light air dam up front, and a tail to taper off the air (like a big air-foil)
  15. smoothy hubcaps and wheel skirts for the rear
  16. plastic instead of glass
Then I would drive slow in 5th gear, ease on and off the gas pedal, touch the brake pedal as little as possible, and draft everything that moves.

A TJ built like this would be ugly as sin, but would probably far-exceed 36 mpg. Probably not exactly legal (or safe)...

Even if it were someone else paying the bill, I don't know that I could devote that much time/money into ruining a Jeep like that... especially when you could take a stock Geo Metro and get better mileage without doing ANYTHING. But I guess it just depends on how extreme you would want to go.

NOTICE: There are none of those 'snake-oil' fuel savers!
Unread 10-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #15
Hillbilly88
2014 JK Wrangler 

My buddy has the hydro set up on his h2 and has been getting about 6 mpg better for about a year now. And on his boat but not sure what its doin with fuel since conditions are hardly ever the same on the lake with a 454 and a heavy foot And as soon as my jeep is up and running again i will be installin a kit on it
Hillbilly88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tj , wrangler , fuel cell , hydrogen , mpg

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.