hydraulic steering questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-23-2009, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
03rubiconMG
2003 TJ Wrangler 

hydraulic steering questions

looking at mad4wd.com ive seen that hydraulic assist steering costs more than full hydro steering.

Is there a disadvantage to having full hydro steering on a daily driver? is it not as safe on the highway? Keep in mind i no nothing about hydraulic steering, but i do understand hydraulics a little.

2003 white rubicon on 37s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-23-2009, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
03rubiconMG
2003 TJ Wrangler 

can anyone help?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Full hydro steering is legal on the street but having considered adding hydro assist to mine and reading/asking about it, I keep reading/hearing that full hydro steering gives zero feedback and has a very numb feeling on the street. That's one reason when/if I do mine that I'll go with hydro assist.

One more thing to know, your front D44's steering knuckles are not really up to the force hydraulic ram assist can exert. Those parts of your front Dana 44 are actually Dana 30 components. I'm holding off on hydro assist until I can get a stronger front axle based on some very sound advice from a friend who's an expert in this type of stuff.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-23-2009, 09:06 PM
cmoore

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03rubiconMG View Post
ive seen that hydraulic assist steering costs more than full hydro steering.

Is there a disadvantage to having full hydro steering on a daily driver? is it not as safe on the highway? Keep in mind i no nothing about hydraulic steering, but i do understand hydraulics a little.
Assist has more parts.

No disadvantages to full hydro if you build it right and pay attention. If you patch it together or lose pressure you can be SOL when the steering stops working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Full hydro steering is legal on the street but having considered adding hydro assist to mine and reading/asking about it, I keep reading/hearing that full hydro steering gives zero feedback and has a very numb feeling on the street. That's one reason when/if I do mine that I'll go with hydro assist.
My PSC full hydro has feedback and return to center. On pavement, it feels a lot like factory steering (only better). On trail, the benefits are dramatic and obvious. ymmv

98 XJ:4.0, AW4, HP30/8.25 4.56 Spartan/LSD, alloy shafts & joints, HD steer, SYE/CV, skids, RADesigns gated shifter, RE mix n match lift, 35"mt/rs, THOR guards F&R, weld-in custom rockers & stiffeners, custom front bumper, orfab rear bumper, THOR cowl induction, on board air, on board welder, etc
post #5 of 10 Old 11-23-2009, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
03rubiconMG
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i need to seriously address my steering, i basically still have the stock steering on there and hydro assist will be over 2000 when i get all the parts together where as hydraulic will be around 1300 ish. and then when i get a bigger axle it will be easier to modify to fit the bigger axle. i will just have to be aware of it while offroading.

And as far as a hydraulic system goes i dont screw around with hydraulics, i have a lot of experiance around heavy machinery and if you dont do something right it can kill someone so theres only the right way to do it.

post #6 of 10 Old 11-23-2009, 09:54 PM
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
One more thing to know, your front D44's steering knuckles are not really up to the force hydraulic ram assist can exert. Those parts of your front Dana 44 are actually Dana 30 components. I'm holding off on hydro assist until I can get a stronger front axle based on some very sound advice from a friend who's an expert in this type of stuff.
if you're talking about Blaine, from what hes told me hes working on a way to attach a ram to the passenger side knuckle on D30 and D44R's for a hydro assist setup. in my "HD Steering components" thread he talks about it in there.

2010 Magnetic Toyota 4Runner Trail Teams

My builds:
and

or follow us on
post #7 of 10 Old 11-24-2009, 05:54 AM
cmoore

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
if you're talking about Blaine, from what hes told me hes working on a way to attach a ram to the passenger side knuckle on D30 and D44R's for a hydro assist setup. in my "HD Steering components" thread he talks about it in there.
I forgot about that. Larry was going to work with Blaine to put hydro assist on his currie steering setup while he's down there this week iirc.

Double ended ram is the way to go though for the simplest setup and best overall performance.

98 XJ:4.0, AW4, HP30/8.25 4.56 Spartan/LSD, alloy shafts & joints, HD steer, SYE/CV, skids, RADesigns gated shifter, RE mix n match lift, 35"mt/rs, THOR guards F&R, weld-in custom rockers & stiffeners, custom front bumper, orfab rear bumper, THOR cowl induction, on board air, on board welder, etc
post #8 of 10 Old 11-24-2009, 07:35 AM
DoGood
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I thought full hydro steering was illegal in at least some states... you'll certainly want to look into that.

^I wouldn't listen to what I say. I don't know what I'm talking about. Please use the search feature.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-24-2009, 08:11 AM
DBLJ

2005 LJ Wrangler 

PSC's assist is only about 1300. Just wait until Blaine comes out with one that will bolt up the the Currie.

Last edited by DBLJ; 11-24-2009 at 09:31 AM.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoore View Post
My PSC full hydro has feedback and return to center. On pavement, it feels a lot like factory steering (only better). On trail, the benefits are dramatic and obvious. ymmv
Nice first-hand information, I based my thoughts on the articles I read while researching it. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
Yep, it was Blaine who advised me to hold off with my present D30's configuration.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.