HVAC fan inop except on High, found the wiring & plug fried... need plug. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 08-24-2004, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

HVAC fan inop except on High, found the wiring & plug fried... need plug.

Well, instead of easily installing the new blower motor resistor pack I bought today to fix the missing lower fan speeds, it turns out the real problem is the plug on the wiring harness that plugs into the resistor pack overheated and has crumbled too badly to use and one of the wires going to it has fried as well.

Anyone know if I can buy just the plug somewhere and wire it into the existing wiring harness? I'm almost certain that Jeep will only sell me the complete wiring harness which would be not only prohibitive, cost-wise, but a complete waste to buy for just the plug.

I could just solder directly to the new resistor pack pins but that's not something I'd do except if I were more desperate than I am at this point.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-24-2004, 02:43 AM
someday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Well, instead of easily installing the new blower motor resistor pack I bought today to fix the missing lower fan speeds, it turns out the real problem is the plug on the wiring harness that plugs into the resistor pack overheated and has crumbled too badly to use and one of the wires going to it has fried as well.

Anyone know if I can buy just the plug somewhere and wire it into the existing wiring harness? I'm almost certain that Jeep will only sell me the complete wiring harness which would be not only prohibitive, cost-wise, but a complete waste to buy for just the plug.

I could just solder directly to the new resistor pack pins but that's not something I'd do except if I were more desperate than I am at this point.
You can get a repair pakage from the dealer. It has the connector with the wires installed and all you have to do is cut and splice the wires.. I have done this on many chrysler cars. I think the Jeep part should be the same. Murph
post #3 of 19 Old 08-24-2004, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, that's great news... thank you for the information someday!

post #4 of 19 Old 08-26-2004, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by someday
You can get a repair pakage from the dealer. It has the connector with the wires installed and all you have to do is cut and splice the wires.. I have done this on many chrysler cars. I think the Jeep part should be the same. Murph
Murph, a good parts guy I've used for years at my Jeep dealer spent a day and a half searching for that repair package but couldn't find it. He even looked through the TSBs.

Do you have, or can you get, the p/n for this kit for me? Thanks!

post #5 of 19 Old 08-26-2004, 05:36 PM
Jeepxj96

I will check with the parts department at my dealer tomorrow

Bob

1996 Land Rover Discovery with a bunch of stuff on super swampers
post #6 of 19 Old 02-09-2005, 09:49 AM
DUG

Jerry,

Did you ever find the plug repair kit that someday referred to? I need to do the same thing to mine. I was planning to "replace" the plug with individual connectors & shrink tubing but if a new plug is available I would rather go that route. My local dealer wanted to sell me the whole harness for $118.00!!

Thanks,
Doug
post #7 of 19 Old 02-09-2005, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUG
Jerry,

Did you ever find the plug repair kit that someday referred to? I need to do the same thing to mine.
Nope, I made do with what I had and made it work. It was crumbling and the wiring was burnt but at least it's working again after some splicing and jury-rigging a workable "plug". Thanks for bringing this thread back up to the top, Baggerman saw it and PM'd me to say he would send me his old plug which will make things right again! Thanks Baggerman!

post #8 of 19 Old 02-09-2005, 09:00 PM
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Where exactly is said connector? I've got the same symptoms: the jeep's still under warranty for another year or so, so I wasn't that worried about it, but I'd like to track it down if I've got smoked connectors somewhere.
post #9 of 19 Old 02-09-2005, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's above the passenger side kick panel, kind of just below the level of the glove compartment. If you remove the kick panel, you'll see the plug connected to the resistor pack that is mounted in the air plenum.

post #10 of 19 Old 02-10-2005, 06:57 AM
00TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUG
Jerry,

Did you ever find the plug repair kit that someday referred to? I need to do the same thing to mine.
The end connector Mopar replacement part number is 1-05019941AA (this was for a 97 TJ... I can't vouch for other years). This is a little kit that comes with the plug and the various wires you need to splice it into your wiring harness. I recall it being a little pricey at about $30-$40.

Remember tho... it melted for a reason... In my case it was a bad blower motor drawing too much current through the resistor. I had to replace the blower motor also.

------
00TJdave - we be jeepin'
Proud to be GREEN JEEP CLUB member #128 [O|||||O]
post #11 of 19 Old 02-10-2005, 05:23 PM
DUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97TJdave
The end connector Mopar replacement part number is 1-05019941AA (this was for a 97 TJ... I can't vouch for other years). This is a little kit that comes with the plug and the various wires you need to splice it into your wiring harness. I recall it being a little pricey at about $30-$40.

Remember tho... it melted for a reason... In my case it was a bad blower motor drawing too much current through the resistor. I had to replace the blower motor also.

O.K., so I made some calls to local dealers today in search of the above mentioned part #. I could really rant about this but I'll just leave a few random thoughts:

1. Jeep owners know more about their vehicles than the dealers that sell them.
2. Some dealers charge more for the same part as other dealers in the same town.
3. Some parts guys don't know a valid part # when they see it.

Ahh, I feel better now.

Anyway, I was able to get the plug repair kit at a Dodge dealer. It includes the plug, connectors, shrink tubing, and wires. It looks like a somewhat universal repair kit as it comes with additional wires that I won't need. It's very pricey for what it is (44.10 + tax) but it sure beats the $118.00 for a new harness.

Thanks for the info 97TJDAVE! You folks on this board are awesome!
post #12 of 19 Old 02-11-2005, 07:29 AM
99TJSport

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUG
O.K., so I made some calls to local dealers today in search of the above mentioned part #. I could really rant about this but I'll just leave a few random thoughts:

1. Jeep owners know more about their vehicles than the dealers that sell them.
2. Some dealers charge more for the same part as other dealers in the same town.
3. Some parts guys don't know a valid part # when they see it.
1. Sometimes true sometimes not. When Iw orked in Jeep parts, I knew my stuff and it finally got to the point that if someone in the building had a Wrangler question, they just came and asked me.

2. Defintely true. Parts departsments have list prices from Chrysler, but they are free to charge whatever they want. I always encouraged customers that if they had a lower price, call me back and I'll see what I can do. We operated under the assumption any profit was better than no profit.

3. Sometimes true. The problem in this case is that the leading 0 on the number should have been dropped. Chrysler started putting this in as a place holder several years ago. Their systems will accept it, but a lot of the delaership inventory/sales systems aren't setup to recognize it. So by entering the leading 0 it says it's invalid. Drop the 0 and bam, part number found.

Jeff
08 Rubicon Unlimited, 2.5TF Lift, 285/70/17 BFG KM2s, lots of skids, MyGig, and both sets of doors/tops.

Parrothead Jeepers Union #24
post #13 of 19 Old 02-11-2005, 07:35 AM
macb

2014 JK Wrangler 

thank god somebody had the P/N...the dealer told me no such thing existed - so off to the
local dodge dealer to pick it up.

I had the exact same problem - already replaced the resistor pack and the blower - mine was
evidenced by the bad switch in the dash spewing smoke as I drove down the highway!
lol, only in a jeep!

3.5" Terraflex, 1" BL, Flat Belly Pan, Currie Steering, 35s, Cowl Intake, blah blah blah:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob Supplee:
or (405) 799-8977
Stu Olson's great jeep resource site:
post #14 of 19 Old 02-11-2005, 08:45 AM
geauxturbo

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macb
thank god somebody had the P/N...the dealer told me no such thing existed - so off to the
local dodge dealer to pick it up.

I had the exact same problem - already replaced the resistor pack and the blower - mine was
evidenced by the bad switch in the dash spewing smoke as I drove down the highway!
lol, only in a jeep!

Same here but I didn't know about the replacement part at the time so I had to make a trip to Radioshack and make my own "adapter". Replaced the blower motor about 2 weeks later.

'97 TJ Sport Black, 3.5" RE, PSC Trail Cage, Ford F150/Explorer Hybrid 8.8 Aussie locked, Lockright in the XJ HP 30, 4.88 gears, Borla Headers, No Muffler, 35x12.5 R15 Baja MTZs, Currie TrackBar. Homebuilt Longarm 4 link, AA HD SYE, TW CV DS, Warn tire carrier, Jeeperman front bumper, Warn X8000i with Amsteel Blue rope with a safety thimble, CO2

post #15 of 19 Old 02-11-2005, 05:51 PM
DUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97TJdave

'dave,

How did you determine that your blower motor was drawing too much current? I'm fairly certain the problem with mine was corrosion on the resistor connections. They look like they have been sitting in a salt bath. I can't find any evidence of problems anywhere else (the switch and relay still look like new) but before I put the new plug on I want to be sure it won't melt again. My plan was to install a new resistor block, crimp individual connectors on the wires and run it that way while checking to see if the wires overheat. Then, if all is well, I will install the new plug kit. The motor is too much $$ for me to replace unless I know it's bad so I wanted to know how you determined that yours was bad.

Thanks,
Doug

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.