HVAC - blower, selector or blockage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HVAC - blower, selector or blockage

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #1
Raist11

HVAC - blower, selector or blockage

Fan blows at all speeds. I thought at first selector was shot but it seems to be changing between vents. Thing is, there is very little air flow coming through. When changing to the vents it seems it may still be coming at the deforst. With so little air movement it is hard to tell. Could it be some blockage? Thanks in advance for any input.

Unread 11-22-2014, 11:18 PM   #2
Raist11

Should have said, 2000 Tj sport 4.0L.

Reading another post, I don't hear anything when changing the selector... probably vacuum, but odd that it seems like it may be changing. Perhaps it just isn't changing enough.
Unread 11-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #3
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raist11 View Post
Should have said, 2000 Tj sport 4.0L.
That and a few more things should be in your profile.

Do you have the Original Equipment Manufacture (OEM) Factory Service Manual (FSM)? If not you should get one, that's the best money you'll spend on your Jeep.

Have you looked at the vacuum lines going from the intake manifold to the reservoir under the battery and going to the mode select switch on the HVAC panel?...
Unread 11-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #4
SkeeterTZX
2000 TJ Wrangler 

check the vacuum lines under the hood. i had a bad one on my XJ that did the same thing. it defaults to defrost when there is no pull
SkeeterTZX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2014, 07:16 AM   #5
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Also under the drivers kick panel by your knees there are the actuators that control the switching from vents/floor/defrost etc.
the arms are known for breaking.

image-3123694569.jpg

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
Raist11

I finally found some spare time and the weather wasn't freezing cold and got to take the panel off and have a closer look. (I've gotten too old to enjoy laying on my back looking up) The actuators are moving, and seem to be moving fully. There still doesn't seem to be very much air. I'm sure I had more air flow in my old Jeep. I think at this point it's blockage, the fan speeds do increase/decrease. Maybe I'll just have to suck it up this winter, then in the summer yank out the fan and have a look. Unless I get my garage insulated before the end of winter.

Thanks for the input.

Edit: After thought... I couldn't hear it switching before. Perhaps they were stuck a bit and my tugging at them loosened them up? Or maybe just barely enough vacuum.. Great, more possibilities again. :P
Unread 12-13-2014, 06:06 PM   #7
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Try removing the cowl outside below the windshield, on the passenger side is the air intake. Check for obstructions....
Shark_13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #8
Raist11

Thanks, I was thinking about that, it looks good from the outside.. But of course that doesn't mean a whole lot. Glad you mentioned it, that'll be my next step.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.