Hum and Vib From Rear - Tires, Wheel or Pinion Bearing - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-07-2010, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
UncleWilson

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hum and Vib From Rear - Tires, Wheel or Pinion Bearing

I just rotated my tires (5 tire rotation), and Now I hear a wah wah wah with a vibration coming from the rear of the vehicle, but only at +60 mph. There is about a 1 second pause between the wah's. I for sure feel it when on the accelorator or holding constant speed. If I speed up to 70 mph and coast I think the noise goes away, or at least becomes significantly minor. I didn't have this problem prior to the tire rotation. My first inclination is this is a bearing (pinion or wheel). However, the front right tire (now on the left rear) had been driven on for ~250 miles with a slight bit too much toe in. Could it be the tire?

2006 LJ Rubi JKS BL/MML, Curries Arms, 3", UCF Skids, Riddler, 35 GY MTR W/K, Black Rock 909's, Black Magic, Rokmen Sliders, Savvy GTS, Cloaked, 4.88

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

o[__Q_]o
(OIIIIIO)
[]==O==[]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-07-2010, 05:50 AM
Fropleyqk

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWilson View Post
I just rotated my tires (5 tire rotation), and Now I hear a wah wah wah with a vibration coming from the rear of the vehicle, but only at +60 mph. There is about a 1 second pause between the wah's. I for sure feel it when on the accelorator or holding constant speed. If I speed up to 70 mph and coast I think the noise goes away, or at least becomes significantly minor. I didn't have this problem prior to the tire rotation. My first inclination is this is a bearing (pinion or wheel). However, the front right tire (now on the left rear) had been driven on for ~250 miles with a slight bit too much toe in. Could it be the tire?
You rotated the tires then a new vibe popped up. Id say its the tires. Get a road force balance and if it is the tires, itll be fine.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-07-2010, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
UncleWilson

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropleyquark View Post
You rotated the tires then a new vibe popped up. Id say its the tires. Get a road force balance and if it is the tires, itll be fine.
Would tires create a vibe only after 60 mph or would it happen before that too?

2006 LJ Rubi JKS BL/MML, Curries Arms, 3", UCF Skids, Riddler, 35 GY MTR W/K, Black Rock 909's, Black Magic, Rokmen Sliders, Savvy GTS, Cloaked, 4.88

o[__Q_]o
(OIIIIIO)
[]==O==[]

post #4 of 6 Old 12-07-2010, 10:44 AM
timberwolf0122
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The vibe is a resonance frequency thing, your only hitting the right freq near 60MPH, you might get it at other speeds.

Atheist Jeep Club Member #2
Doctor Who has died 13 times, is on his 14th regeneration and has a time machine, beat that Jesus.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-07-2010, 11:01 AM
MO2500
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you had no problem before the roatation then it's the tires.

Instagram: @omsmike
post #6 of 6 Old 12-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Fropleyqk

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWilson View Post
Would tires create a vibe only after 60 mph or would it happen before that too?
In my experience tire vibes happen at specific speeds. Other types of vibes tend to be more constant and or increase with speed.

Tags
pinion bearing diagnosis , tire wear , vibrations , wheel bearing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.